“Never fails to impress with service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard San Diego Central

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #14 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney
“Never fails to impress with service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This is my 5th time travelling to the Marriott Courtyard and whilst the rooms could do with an upgrade (noisy aircon) the service demonstrated by the team is outstanding. Our office is close by but as long as you have a car this hotel is handy for all of the SD attractions.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Davejlewis
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your loyalty and I am pleased that we impress you with our service. My apologies about the A/C unit, and this is certainly we can do a better job on.

Hope to see you again soon.

Jürgen Oswald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am a repeat customer at this location and it is ideal for hosting groups of students. I often book multiple rooms for students and chaperons and I have never heard any complaints from students or adults. The rooms are spacious, great lobby to hang out in and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you very much for being such a loyal guest. I am very pleased that your past experiences have been very positive.

It is our desire to make you look good. Please keep on coming!

Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. It was close to all of our activities and destinations. I was especially impressed with and appreciative of Joe, the man who checked us in. I was unable to secure a double queen room on the Internet so I booked a king with a sofa bed. My two teenaged daughters traveled with us and I knew they weren't going to be comfortable sleeping four nights in such a small bed without a proper mattress. Joe was so helpful and accommodating. For no extra charge, he found a spacious room on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the pool and two beds and a sofa. We were SO much more comfortable and happy with our stay because of his attention. Clean pool and rooms. Gracious and professional staff. The only small negative was my husband found some brown stains on one of the towels in the bathroom. Not a really big deal, but keeps me from giving five stars. Breakfast buffet was good and offered made-to-order omelettes; but with the $15 price per person, we opted to go elsewhere after the first morning for a less expensive meal. Overall, it was pleasant and positive. We will return if we are again in the area.

Room Tip: I would ask for the fourth floor. That is the top floor so you don't have any noise above you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Utahgirl6
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Many thanks for recognizing Joe in this public arena. I am very happy that his attention to detail provided you with a great stay. I am very sorry that not everything was perfect, but appreciate you sharing so we can focus even more.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

cos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for several days while on vacation. Several things - on the one day that I took the do not disturb off the door, service had not been provided as of 4pm. I had to go replenish towels myself. Brown water came out of the sink and tub until it was run for 5 mins. Internet didn't work every morning that I attempted to use it. First morning when calling the front desk, they wanted me to troubleshoot with the company that maintains the internet - sorry, I don't do that when on vacation. They did get it working but had to call in again the next day for the same thing. In addition, the phones in the room were not working and the person at the desk knocked on the door - mind you this was around 7:30am. Also, there was a funky smell in the area of the elevators on the first floor - smelled like sewerage. I do have to say the beds and linen were clean and the bed very comfortable. The other conveniences made for a very bad start to the day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
I am very sorry that you had to deal with quite a few issues. None of them are excusable and I appreciate you sharing. We had to shut off the water for repair work recently and when it was turned back on, it takes a few minutes to be crystal clear again. Definitely not something you want to experience.

Please contact me at juergeno@cy-kearnymesa.com or 858-633-9001 so I can further assist.

Thank you.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few nights - close to client location.

Its not near the action of the waterfront - but if you need a spot and don't mind the travel to and from - its good. The lobby was recently renovated and it has a nice courtyard eating area by the pool.

Room Tip: Its in a business park so its fairly quiet. Ask for a room not facing the highway if noise is an is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jibs
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that we provided a convenient location for a productive business trip. Our courtyard is certainly a great spot to enjoy a bite or beverage.

Please see us again.

Marietta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I checked in at midnight, exhausted after working 60 hours (and 4 flights) already this week, hoping to get 6 hours of sleep before another 10+ hour day. That was not to be.

This hotel has significant issues, including knowingly risking the safety of their guests.

HUGE PROBLEM: 1) The sink spit out brown disgusting water - clearly not safe to drink. Thank goodness I had a bottle of water with me.

Medium Problem: 2) Spiders in the bathroom. Being from Georgia, it sure looked like a Brown Recluse Spider (deadly) to me, but I was hoping they are not in California. Nevertheless, as a hotel guest I should not have to be conversant with the lethality of the various types of spiders.

Small problems: 3) Can't open the shade, the bar on the curtains broke, so I left it in the middle of the floor - pretty obvious to housekeeping; 4) Alarm clock not properly set, so I lost 1/2 hour of sleep which was very precious that particular night.

The next morning I stopped at the front desk and told them about the 4 problems. I was astonished when they told me THEY KNEW ABOUT THE WATER PROBLEM, BUT DID NOT TELL GUESTS.

That evening (after a 10+ hour day) I stopped by the front desk to check on the 4 problems. They had NO knowledge of any problems having been reported. In going to my room - nothing was fixed.

I then asked to have the GM call my cell phone and was told NO three times. I even said - "For the Third Time....." and the desk clerk would not even take my cell number. This hotel has serious problems and has not trained employees on the most simple of customer service basics - listen to the customer.

When Conrad Hilton was asked 'How many people do you need to run a hotel?' His answer was simple 'Only one, a General Manager.'

PS - Once they discovered I was concerned about something (they still did not know what) they tried to contact me - Too little, too late. At that point I just wanted to end my trip safely, and bought more bottled water.

Room Tip: This is unsafe, do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jwvv
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
The issues, lack of response, and poor attitude is totally uncalled for. I cannot apologize enough and I am very sorry that we let you down. There is absolutely no excuse and I thank you for sharing your experience. Please allow me to provide some specific feed-back to certain issues:

- We did not have good communication in regards to a water line repair. Upon turning the water back on, there was some discoloration that sometimes happens after a shut off. While certainly not pleasing to the eye or taste, there is no health concern.
- Despite rumors to the contrary, the Brown Recluse Spider has not established itself outside of its native habitat. The furthest west this spider can be found is Texas. Regardless, we obviously must do a better job ensuring that our rooms are insect free.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Courtyard for 4 days and 3 nights from Aug. 22 to Aug. 25. We had the double room with a balcony facing the pool. It was nice to have a balcony to sit and undwind and the view of the pool was great. Our room was clean and spacious and the maids had them made up promptly. The breakfast buffet was also a nice touch there was plenty to choose from and it was nice to just go downstairs and eat a quick bite before heading out for the day. We were there for a wedding so it was nice to be centrally located to every wedding event and downtown San Diego. Everything was only 15 minutes away, we rented a car for the weekend to get us around and the free parking at the hotel was a big bonus. Some other hotels can charge a lot of money to park so this was a great savings. My sister and I also enjoyed taking a dip in the pool and then jacuzzi. I would definately stay here again and recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandy G
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Sounds like a fun trip. You are absolutely correct about those pool view balconies - so relaxing. Many hotels in San Diego charge $20 to $30+ for parking nowadays, so the savings at our hotel really add up quickly.

Thank you for staying with us and see you next time.