“Best Courtyard in San Diego”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #15 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel impromptu for the Fourth of July this year. We had a great stay and loved it so much we decided to come back again for our trip to Seaworld. Being a Marriott rewards member I always try to stay at a Marriott, however our last few stays in other area Marriotts were disappointing to put it kindly. This Marriott is centrally located and has plenty of FREE parking. Check-in is quick and easy, and we got a great AAA rate last minute on our room. The rooms themselves are wonderful, and the beds are SO comfortable which is a big deal to me. We had no problems with the wifi or the TV - they even included a TV Guide in our room magazine. Our kids loved sitting on the balcony looking over the BEAUTIFUL huge pool. We have an infant and had no issues getting a pack n play for her to sleep in, however it is old and torn and could be replaced with something newer/nicer. We love the convenience of the downstairs bar and Starbucks for drinks and snacks. Our room had a great minifridge for drink and food storage, although no microwave. During our July stay we had both dinner and breakfast here and found both to be fine, though I wish breakfast was included in our stay. Our room is quiet and there is no noise from the pool or freeway. There is also a Target right across the freeway for any forgotten items you may need!
Overall after two stays here I have to say that everytime we stay in San Diego we will be staying at this Marriott. I can count on convenient location, free parking, great rooms, comfortable beds!, a great pool, happy and helpful staff as well as food and beverage service available. This is the best family friendly hotel for your dollar in San Diego!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Melly37
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

I am glad that we reinvigorated your faith in Marriott. Your enthusiasm in regards to the experiences at our hotel can be felt thru your words. Many thanks for painting such a lively picture for your fellow travelers. We will definitely inventory our cribs to ensure that they are up to snuff. I am sorry that we did not catch this before you did.

Can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I could write so much about this place. I spend over 200 days a year in hotels. The staff at this hotel are awesome. But this post is about one person. The unsung heros. The people who turn our messy rooms we leave in the morning into spotless blessings when we return in the evening. One person, the housekeeping lady Rosa. She actually made me stop to just bask in the glory of how beautiful things looked. I was once told there was a level of OCD above OCD and that is CDO because you have to spell it alphabetically... That is how I am and I always have to move things back to where I want them when I get in.... Not when Rosa cleans my room. To that, I tip my big leather hat to you. You are awesome!

Room Tip: I get a spa room since at the end of the day I need to soak out the tension.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for being so thoughtful. You are absolutely correct that our housekeeping team consists of many unsung heros. Rosa joined us not too long ago, but we could not be happier. I am very proud that her attention to detail was noticed.

It is great to have you as one of our regular guests.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This will be fast and simple. The check-in was cold and uninviting. I was not acknowledge as being a Marriott Member. WiFi was terrible. $15 for breakfast. Understaffed, dinner service was very slow. Noisy, I was on the north side of the property. As a back-up, I asked for a 5:00 am wake up call and I never received it. The pool was nice. I will look at other Hotels in the area when I return in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank TYOTP

Thank you for sharing your observations. I apologize that we let you down across the board. It is very disappointing that we did not come thru for you.

Please let me know if I can be of any personal assistance now or in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I enjoy staying here as the staff are very friendly and the accommodations are great. Always will to help you with whatever you need. Hats off to Don the bartender!! Front desk staff knows me by name.

Room Tip: Good value for the money
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

It is great to have you as part of our extended family. Glad that our team makes you feel welcome; especially Don of course, he is such a great ambassador for our hotel.

Thank you for your patronage and for reviewing our hotel.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Your typical Courtyard, this hotel has a nice pool, a small Starbucks at the bar in the lobby, and a pretty decent breakfast. When traveling on business, it is a perfectly lovely choice - and much, much newer than most of the other hotel choices in the Kearny Mesa area.

Room Tip: West side (front of hotel) is closest to the 163 highway, so stay on the East side if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

We like to see ourselves as the "top dog" in the area. One thing that is not typical for a Courtyard hotels is that we serve lunch in our restaurant Monday-Friday. Most Courtyard hotels only serve breakfast and dinner.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel by itself is wonderful...good rooms and a great outdoor seating area with a fireplace....the guy at the bar was great as well, made the evening nice....

Only complaint I would have is the front desk staff, who was stiff and curt. It took him a lot of time to check me in....and after waiting for sometime till he was done...all that I got from him was "sorry" that too a cold one...gave me a feeling he was doing me a favour by letting me stay at the hotel...the room airconditivwas not working...his response was that he will send an engineer and he couldn't do anything as there were no more rooms left...altogether a nasty feeling with the front desk..,,,

Otherwise the hotel is great to stay....

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you got to witness many great features and service attributes. I am very sorry that the situation at the front desk tainted an otherwise pleasant stay. We will definitely follow-up with our team as this is not the way we want to communicate with our guests.

Please contact me if I can be of any assistance now or in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was an amazing experience! The room felt so new, up to date and clean (happy for no flower print). The staff was fast, caring, and friendly. Pool area was spectacular. Will definitely be staying with Marriott again in the future!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the look of the hotel and the nice pool area. To top it off, I am proud that our team made a great impression on you as well.

I am very happy that we gained a new fan and look forward to welcoming you back soon.