“Great Property”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #17 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stay in Courtyards all over the West Coast and I love this property. It did not adopt the "Bistro" concept and for that it is way better off. Great pool, great staff. Safe neighborhood. Sleep well.
Also there is a great restaurant nearby. It's the Butcher Block and it's a real "Old School" Steak House. Pricey, but so worth it. Great date restaurant. Dress up, it's nice.

Room Tip: Get the egg white omelet. Yummy
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you for highlighting our many attributes. We are very proud of our Food & Beverage operation. The guest usage of our Restaurant, Bar, and Market are very high. Our team is eager to please and it shows. Our restaurant morning team has the highest guest satisfaction service scores out of all departments.

There are not too many places like the Butchershop anymore, so it is definitely a "must" visit (of course only after trying out our very own restaurant). It's an easy walk which is the right thing to do after a hearty meal.

We appreciate the accolades and look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Diego Central

Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a great hotel experience. The staff really went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The room was clean, the beds were soft, and the kids said "that was the nicest hotel we have ever been to". My wife and I enjoyed a glass of wine in the bar that evening and in the morning the kids gave the breakfast buffet two thumbs up. Thanks for a relaxing stay, we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I always say, to get to the parents wallet, you need to capture the hearts of the children. Thank you kids for giving us your two thumbs up, and thank you parents for spending all of your hotel budget with us, ha-ha.

I am very pleased that the entire family had a great time, from our relaxing bar for the adults to the sumptuous breakfast buffet for the kids.

Until next time.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel is the single reason why I am a Platinum member of Marriott today. I will go out of my way to stay at Marriott because of the Courtyard Central location in San Diego. People are amazed when they hear what made me a Marriott fan for life.

It was my first business trip ever in May of 2007. At the San Diego location, I asked for a Mountain Dew with my breakfast. The woman that was my server said she would get it from the Market Place and bring it over. She was so kind. She did the same thing every morning for the week that I was there. Each day when I entered the lobby after work, I was greeted with, "good evening Miss Miller.” WOW! I don't care if they had my picture behind the desk or someone holding cue cards - the fact that I was greeted by name was so cool. I thought it was a fluke. It's a pretty simple last name right? Then - ONE YEAR LATER, in May of 2008 my annual meeting was held in San Diego and the same woman was my server for breakfast. The first thing she said after good morning was, "Mountain Dew, right?" Wow! That is amazing! I am sold.

This hotel, to me, is what the Marriott brand means. Each employee I have encountered there is a great ambassador for both the Marriott name and the Courtyard brand. Every time I am in town, I stay at this Marriott.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

May I say, greatest story ever! Even for a little jaded hotel warrior like myself, I get goose bumps when I hear a story like this.

Thank you for sharing, thank you for your loyalty to our hotels in general, and thank you for staying with us whenever you are in San Diego.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hi Ty,

You get the award! Our high school rowing team was so pleased with the hotel, the food service in the restaurant, and the rooms, that a number of them expressed their gratitude to me as they got off the bus last night. Thank you for the excellent attention to the needs of our group while staying at the Courtyard by Marriott and helping to make our trip to the So. Cal. Scholastic Scrimmage a success. Eating out is a challenge when trying to feed approx. 50 people. Your Director of Catering worked with us to create a choice of items that fit within our price limit, addressed the needs of our gluten free rowers and in general, the dining experience was well done. Thank you!! We'll be back.

Cathy Clark-Arnold
Xavier Prep Crew - Phoenix, AZ
Travel Coordinator
( parent volunteer)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for allowing us to cater to your every needs. From accommodating your many rooms close to each other to organizing your meals. It is our specialty to provide a full service experience where you do not have to worry about going elsewhere. Gluten free dishes are requested more and more and our residence expert Food & Beverage Director knows all about it (she herself is on a gluten free diet).

We appreciate your desire to return. Best wishes until then and much success!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights at Courtyard San Diego Central in room 258 with a view of the pool and a pavilion. We were away from the room for most of the day, and when we returned to the room at 10 pm, we found that the TV and the phone closest to it did not work, and we could not find the source of the problem. The person at reception said there was no way to repair it without sending a technician up to the room, and we didn’t feel up to a late night visit with a technician. We reported it the next day, and everything worked by the time we returned.

The room was spacious with a porch, a sofa, a desk, and a king sized bed. We had enough space to repack our four suitcases. The free wi-fi was reliable. They froze our ice pack, and it was ready the next morning. We had a good sleep. It was convenient to be able to buy some bananas and a sweet roll in the bistro in the lobby for breakfast. We appreciate that management tries very hard to ensure that guests have a good stay, and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out was easy and fast. There was more than adequate parking, and the room key opened the side door that accessed the parking area. The hotel was in a convenient location for our purposes. On balance, we had a very good stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Staidthere
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Kudos to you. I have never seen anybody else that has completed as many reviews as you have. This makes me even prouder to have earned your many compliments. My apologies about a couple of non-working items in your room, but I am glad that they were taken care of promptly.

Based on your other reviews about San Diego, it looks like you are coming to our great city on a semi frequent basis. Certainly would be honored to welcoming you back.

Many thanks,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The location wasn't all that but overall it was a great stay! the staff was super friendly and very polite. Made me and family comfortable. The cleanliness was 5 star. It wasn't too far from everything we needed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank arlene n
JuergenOswald_11, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for recognizing our focus on cleanliness and service. It sounds like that our central San Diego location worked well for all the adventures your family was looking forward to.

We can't thank you enough for your recommendation and certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been traveling to this hotel for the past several months and like it very much for the following reasons: one, friendly staff; two, always clean and comfortable bed and room; three, great breakfast; and four, convenient location. I especially want to praise the excellent service provided by the front desk supervisors and staff who do their best in exceeding customer expectations. The only thing that I would add is the Wall Street Journal which most other Marriotts have.

2  Thank Bluecloud49

And we love you for being such a frequent guest! I like your top 4 reasons why you enjoy it so much and it makes me very proud that our team and hotel is a great fit for your needs.

We used to carry the Wall Street Journal, but there was little demand for it. Please let our front desk team know whenever you are coming back so we can have it ready for you. You can also e-mail me directly at juergeno@cy-kearnymesa.com.

Thank you very much.