“Nice surprise”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #18 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed here on the Saturday night before the AFC half marathon in August 2011.

Great service from the staff, everyone was so friendly and helpful. Room was clean and modern as was the hotel itself. Actually really liked the bath products they provided. Room had a nice couch and working area, flat screen TV, and fairly comfy bed. Note to ladies: the hair dryer is in the closet. Took me a minute to find it.

Bar and lounge area was nice -- our group hung out for a bit and had drinks and watched baseball on the TVs in the lounge at night. We spent the afternoon at the pool resting up for the race. Pool was a decent size and there was a huge fireplace and outdoor seating if you want to have drinks out there at night. The bar had fruit infused water (cucumber and orange) in large pitchers which was refreshing while we were at the pool. They also have free coffee at the bar 24/7.

They provided a free shuttle to the race and a to-go breakfast for the runners. They also had a pasta dinner the night before for $10 which was decent and convenient. Would most definitely stay here again next year. Location is great, with easy access to multiple freeways. Parking was plentiful even though they were at capacity because of the race and some other event that was happening. And we got a really great price being part of the race as well. Glad we chose this spot!

Foodie note: there's a really yummy Mexican food spot called Gallegos #2 in a little plaza about a mile down the street. Amazing breakfast burritos and tacos!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AGinLA

Reviewed November 5, 2011

I would have ranked this hotel higher than 3 overall normally. Positives: location is great, facility is dated but clean, and staff seemed-responsive overall. Negatives: dated, any kind of food is over priced, and they don't have a 24 HR front desk. I walked out to my car without my room key and walked around the building to the front desk around 2 am. No front desk, rang the buzzer multiple times, then used my cell to call my wife and she came down and let me in. Disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a great property! Beautiful and comfortable rooms, free parking and ample space, on site dining, workout and pool facilities, etc. My only complaint is that I wasn't impressed with dining options near the hotel. Be prepared to drive to any attractions, shopping, or dining. I did find the onsite dining to be good and priced reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank srjuris
Reviewed October 28, 2011

If you blink flying by Hwy 163 you would miss this place, as it is hidden amongst office buildings, but it is worth checking it out. The prices are good for the area, and you are right in the middle of inexpensive shopping and dining, and not too far from Downtown San Diego itself (about 10 miles-7 to Old Town) The inside is very business like but also pleasant, the rooms are good sized and only a few face the freeway. The staff was friendly but I felt the food prices were kind of high. I will back to this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for an inter courtyard view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel 21 nights in 7 different rooms in the last year. We've been working with a company in the area. Somehow I've never found the time to write a review but we reached several milestones and our frequent stays are coming to an end.

Of about six hotels we've stayed at during the last year, this is probably my favorite hotel in the area. The highlights are:

- Beds: As in all Courtyards I find myself getting great sleep (after the first night where I never seem to sleep well away from home).
- Pool: An Olympic outdoor pool. It's heated (I hope they use waste heat from some other hotel mechanicals because it probably would cost a fortune with electricity or gas), It's clean, It's almost always empty. Next to it is a spa which I've always been happy with. he spa has the usual chlorine levels but a quick swim after loosening up the muscles fixes that.
- Workout room: clean, large in size and well equipped (never have had to wait for equipment during my 6:00 workouts)
- Lobby: comfortable places to sit and meet up with your colleagues, clean restrooms, easy access to lounge, dining, and conference areas. Complementary coffee in the morning is pretty good.
- Managers Special: (drum roll) Wednesday at 5:00 PM there is a managers special. They bring out a dozen or so bottles of wine and three or so cases of beer. Also they bring out appetizers (this last week it was BBQ meatballs and a great vegetable tray and then calamari when the meatballs ran out). Max the GM wanders about chatting with the clientele. Nice guy who has helped us get a room when rates are above per diam.

There are some things I think need to be worked on:

- Elevator floors: I use the elevators exactly twice, once on arrival and once on leaving, because I use the stairs as much as possible. But my co-travelers comment repeatedly on the elevators and especially the dirty floors.
- Drink prices: Marriotts have never been a place to drink. Don the bar tender is great but I can't charge alcohol against travel so I have to pick up the charge. I had one drink each of three nights and bought two for my fellow traveler and it cost me just about $35. Given it is a pleasant place to have a cocktail and you don't have to drive but I think they might be pushing people to drink in their room that they might be missing out on sales of those delicious bar snacks (try the cross-cut fries with bleu cheese). Of course Marriotts no doubt runs this all through computer models and has optimized the profit which I embrace but maybe I'm not normal.
- Some rooms are noisy: I don't typically have this problem because I'll ask to be away from elevators and ice machines. The only reason to stay near noise is to avoid the dreaded handicapped rooms (I don't need enough room to dance in the bathroom and rails to get off the toilet are totally unnecessary thank you).

Other things:

- In room: Tea and Coffee provided but if you are a tea fan you want to run several clean pots through the coffee maker or the flavor will suffer. Love the towels. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion are of good quality. There always seem to be some trivial stuff that is wrong (I got broken soap this trip, one shower curtain hoop was not connected). The 35 or so channels of LCD TV is excellent except they need to program the channel banners because a ESPN banners are on not only their channels but on others (room 188 had this problem on this trip but I've seen it on others). Grout is free of creepy stuff and foot fungus. The couch in this room had an obvious droop but I slipped a couple of inches over and TV viewing was comfortable. Carpet was clean. Drapes allowed you to sleep into the daylight without light bleeding into your room. Biggest complaint was that my mini-refrigerator froze everything and I could not find an adjustment to fix the problem.
- Parking: Some of the places directly in front of the hotel are tight. But parking is free and there are probably about two acres. I don't like the fact that they have planters with bushes that don't allow you to walk to the building without dragging your bags over those obsticles
- Breakfast: Great but I just have problems with $12 for a breakfast buffet. I'd always eat there if they had a nice bowl of fruit or yogurt over cereal for about half that price. I like to walk in the mornings so I usually walk to the north (to the left if you go out the front door). There is a Subway Sandwich shop 1/3 mile away that has good coffee and with a sandwich will cost $3.

What is but can't be changed:

Location: What can you say... I wouldn't stay there for personal travel. It's five or six miles to the stuff I do when not on business travel.

Room Tip: Once and only once I stayed facing the freeway. If there is no choice go down every morning and try...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank FromVegas
Reviewed September 18, 2011

When my bf booked this hotel for our stay in San Diego, I was a little hesitant. I lived in SD when I was going to college and never really a remembered a hotel in this area. Once we drove up to the location, I was in for a nice surprise.

The hotel is centrally located (hence the name) in SD in an area known as Kearny Mesa. It's minutes from good food and about 15 minutes from Downtown. It's a great place to stay if you're looking for something reasonably priced and great amenities. My bf loves that they offer cucumber and orange water in the lobby. The room had a king sized bed, sofa with pull-out bed, a fridge, and swiveling flat panel tv. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Even at 12am when I needed a razor, they had one quickly sent up. We booked this room through priceline and for $80 butcks, it's a really affordable place to stay in SD. Free wi-fi and no cost parking on top of everything will guarantee us coming back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poohchk25
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel is located in a business district. We stayed here to attend a wedding in Old Town San Diego, which is only a few miles away.

Pros: Clean, good customer service, laundry services, nice pool, free parking and free wifi
Cons: Just can't walk out of your hotel and explore the city- if you want to do that, stay in Gaslamp district. No microwave.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family