“Great property with not a lot around it”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a great property! Beautiful and comfortable rooms, free parking and ample space, on site dining, workout and pool facilities, etc. My only complaint is that I wasn't impressed with dining options near the hotel. Be prepared to drive to any attractions, shopping, or dining. I did find the onsite dining to be good and priced reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank srjuris
There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Diego Central

Reviewed October 28, 2011

If you blink flying by Hwy 163 you would miss this place, as it is hidden amongst office buildings, but it is worth checking it out. The prices are good for the area, and you are right in the middle of inexpensive shopping and dining, and not too far from Downtown San Diego itself (about 10 miles-7 to Old Town) The inside is very business like but also pleasant, the rooms are good sized and only a few face the freeway. The staff was friendly but I felt the food prices were kind of high. I will back to this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for an inter courtyard view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel 21 nights in 7 different rooms in the last year. We've been working with a company in the area. Somehow I've never found the time to write a review but we reached several milestones and our frequent stays are coming to an end.

Of about six hotels we've stayed at during the last year, this is probably my favorite hotel in the area. The highlights are:

- Beds: As in all Courtyards I find myself getting great sleep (after the first night where I never seem to sleep well away from home).
- Pool: An Olympic outdoor pool. It's heated (I hope they use waste heat from some other hotel mechanicals because it probably would cost a fortune with electricity or gas), It's clean, It's almost always empty. Next to it is a spa which I've always been happy with. he spa has the usual chlorine levels but a quick swim after loosening up the muscles fixes that.
- Workout room: clean, large in size and well equipped (never have had to wait for equipment during my 6:00 workouts)
- Lobby: comfortable places to sit and meet up with your colleagues, clean restrooms, easy access to lounge, dining, and conference areas. Complementary coffee in the morning is pretty good.
- Managers Special: (drum roll) Wednesday at 5:00 PM there is a managers special. They bring out a dozen or so bottles of wine and three or so cases of beer. Also they bring out appetizers (this last week it was BBQ meatballs and a great vegetable tray and then calamari when the meatballs ran out). Max the GM wanders about chatting with the clientele. Nice guy who has helped us get a room when rates are above per diam.

There are some things I think need to be worked on:

- Elevator floors: I use the elevators exactly twice, once on arrival and once on leaving, because I use the stairs as much as possible. But my co-travelers comment repeatedly on the elevators and especially the dirty floors.
- Drink prices: Marriotts have never been a place to drink. Don the bar tender is great but I can't charge alcohol against travel so I have to pick up the charge. I had one drink each of three nights and bought two for my fellow traveler and it cost me just about $35. Given it is a pleasant place to have a cocktail and you don't have to drive but I think they might be pushing people to drink in their room that they might be missing out on sales of those delicious bar snacks (try the cross-cut fries with bleu cheese). Of course Marriotts no doubt runs this all through computer models and has optimized the profit which I embrace but maybe I'm not normal.
- Some rooms are noisy: I don't typically have this problem because I'll ask to be away from elevators and ice machines. The only reason to stay near noise is to avoid the dreaded handicapped rooms (I don't need enough room to dance in the bathroom and rails to get off the toilet are totally unnecessary thank you).

Other things:

- In room: Tea and Coffee provided but if you are a tea fan you want to run several clean pots through the coffee maker or the flavor will suffer. Love the towels. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion are of good quality. There always seem to be some trivial stuff that is wrong (I got broken soap this trip, one shower curtain hoop was not connected). The 35 or so channels of LCD TV is excellent except they need to program the channel banners because a ESPN banners are on not only their channels but on others (room 188 had this problem on this trip but I've seen it on others). Grout is free of creepy stuff and foot fungus. The couch in this room had an obvious droop but I slipped a couple of inches over and TV viewing was comfortable. Carpet was clean. Drapes allowed you to sleep into the daylight without light bleeding into your room. Biggest complaint was that my mini-refrigerator froze everything and I could not find an adjustment to fix the problem.
- Parking: Some of the places directly in front of the hotel are tight. But parking is free and there are probably about two acres. I don't like the fact that they have planters with bushes that don't allow you to walk to the building without dragging your bags over those obsticles
- Breakfast: Great but I just have problems with $12 for a breakfast buffet. I'd always eat there if they had a nice bowl of fruit or yogurt over cereal for about half that price. I like to walk in the mornings so I usually walk to the north (to the left if you go out the front door). There is a Subway Sandwich shop 1/3 mile away that has good coffee and with a sandwich will cost $3.

What is but can't be changed:

Location: What can you say... I wouldn't stay there for personal travel. It's five or six miles to the stuff I do when not on business travel.

Room Tip: Once and only once I stayed facing the freeway. If there is no choice go down every morning and try...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank FromVegas
Reviewed September 18, 2011

When my bf booked this hotel for our stay in San Diego, I was a little hesitant. I lived in SD when I was going to college and never really a remembered a hotel in this area. Once we drove up to the location, I was in for a nice surprise.

The hotel is centrally located (hence the name) in SD in an area known as Kearny Mesa. It's minutes from good food and about 15 minutes from Downtown. It's a great place to stay if you're looking for something reasonably priced and great amenities. My bf loves that they offer cucumber and orange water in the lobby. The room had a king sized bed, sofa with pull-out bed, a fridge, and swiveling flat panel tv. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Even at 12am when I needed a razor, they had one quickly sent up. We booked this room through priceline and for $80 butcks, it's a really affordable place to stay in SD. Free wi-fi and no cost parking on top of everything will guarantee us coming back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poohchk25
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel is located in a business district. We stayed here to attend a wedding in Old Town San Diego, which is only a few miles away.

Pros: Clean, good customer service, laundry services, nice pool, free parking and free wifi
Cons: Just can't walk out of your hotel and explore the city- if you want to do that, stay in Gaslamp district. No microwave.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend with my wife and two teenage daughters.

Upsides: Very clean room, remodeled with huge and very nice lobby area. Free wifi and parking. Great breakfast with good coffee. Much lower rates than similar class hotels in the area. Very happy with the value. My wife and I spent the evenings by the fireplace (outside). Also, hotel was fully booked with LOTS of girls' soccer teams that were quite loud, but we never heard a thing in our room.

Downsides: Small parking spaces-got a door ding! We stayed on the top floor (4th I think) and found elevator to be ridiculously slow. We chose the stairs every time. Location was a bit of bummer since most of the activities we enjoy are downtown. It's actually a short drive to the gaslamp (maybe 15 minutes), but we prefer staying downtown, however, the rates in the nice hotels downtown are about double what we payed here so the 15 minute drive was worth it.

We travel to San Diego several times a year and in the future we will return to this hotel any time we don't feel like paying the high rates downtown or on the beach.

Room Tip: Be aware of the very small and slow elevator. It would be very annoying, and inconvenient in a whee...
1  Thank Aquafam
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is wonderful place to stay, it seems out of the way if you are in town for leisure, but I would definitely stay here again. Hotel pool is bigger than most, and the staff is great. We had three rooms for our family and the staff did a great job accommodating our needs last minute when we had to change hotels to add the third room. Sea World and the Zoo are much closer than they look on the map.

Room Tip: No tips needed. Great place.
1  Thank jwalken