“Too many things went wrong...”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #108 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed here one night in May 2010. By using a search engine we got a good price $89 for the night and after taxes it was a little over $100. We arrived one hour after the time we selected and our room still was not ready. After standing around for a few minutes looking annoyed, the employee at the counter offered us two free breakfasts for the next morning.

Pros:
- inexpensive
- good happy hour prices (everyday - even weekends)
- pool area looked nice
- nice gym w/free water
- flat screen tv in room

Cons:
- $18 a night garage parking (we parked on the street before you enter the hotel and saved the $18)
- small rooms
- no free wifi
- breakfast buffet (even though it was free) was not good ($20 a person)
- no refrigerator in the room
- the hotel lost power 2 times
- WORST OF ALL - my husband was taking a shower and the water stopped - just stopped in the middle of the shower. After about 2 minutes it began to spit out of the shower head again. I tried the sink faucet, and it too had dried up.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 17, 2010

The hotel is very close to the Del Mar Beach area and La Jolla Torrey Pines hiking area. It is a good location for north county beaches, and exploring beautiful areas of La Jolla, Solana Beach, Encinitas Beach but far (35 min) from downtown SD. It's more peaceful in the Del Mar/Marriott area with plenty to see and do than in downtown. The self parking charge was $18/day with in and out privileges. However, behind the hotel there is a cul-de-sac which has FREE street parking. I had no problems finding a space there and it was a quick walk -very short distance to the hotel. By the way, I got a $65 night deal on Priceline for this property and was quite pleased with my stay. Wi-fi was avalable for a fee. Free PC terminals for internet in the lobby with 30 min limit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I, for sure, disagree with other reviewer that this is a standard Marriott. This hotel is much nicer than most Marriott I have stayed in. The ambiance is quite refreshing yet simple, the rooms are more upscale yet very comfortable, the service is slightly better and most importantly, this hotel goes out of its to please customers. Exercise room is very nice with complimentary bottled water and headsets, the pool is great for a business hotel, the restaurant is very good and the in/out bar is awesome. I loved every minute of my stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We decided to priceline a hotel in San Diego Coastal and we got the Marriott in Del Mar in a Business Center area. Sure, it's only a short drive to the beach but still....but when you Priceline you get what you get and they will not re-nigg on it and let you cancel. We got our room for $75 per night.
Safe area, clean area, nice hotel, very clean, rooms nice. Did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel. Hotel seemed very dead. Weekends the business park area was DEAD, kind of a strange feeling but nice at the same time, NO PEOPLE! We used the pool twice, heated but very windy always at the pool area as it's up on top on the side of the building. Hot tub very nice, POWERFUL jets felt great on my back. We were traveling with our 2 1/2 year old daughter, I think we were the only ones there with a kid.
Lounge area outside is nice, lots of cushy seating, gas pit fireplaces for at night. Pool area nice. Gym looked really nice, did not use it. Free bottled water in the gym, FYI.
I had read several reviews that said there were no mini refrigerators in the rooms so we did not expect one at all. The dresser the TV sat on was odd, one side had 3 drawers and one side looked like faux 3 drawers but only one handle, we thought that side was broken. So we left it. Then on the 2nd day I was observing it again and saw hinges on it, it was a door! There was a fridge behind it, tricky. (see pics). So YES there are refrigerators in room.
Maid service very good. Free newspapers during the weekday. Free in room coffee and tea. Hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner and lotion (all Bath & Body Works "Energyze").

The theme of this hotel is "Energize". Oranges, reds and yellows and golds are the dominant colors in the decorating scheme, I'm not sure I liked it.....

Biggest pet peeve: parking is $18-24 a day or something like that. We parked on the side of the hotel (the cul-d-sac road). We never had an issue finding a spot but you could if the hotel gets busy. I noticed the maids park there during the day. My other issue is that they charge $14 per day for wi-fi, get out! There is free internet in the lobby and you can print stuff for free. We printed out our Legoland coupons and our boarding passes from the business center downstairs.

Overall, this Marriott stood up to Marriott's exceptional quality standards in my eyes, I just didn't care for the location. Not very many restaurants nearby. About a mile down the road is a Von's grocery store anchored shopping center with a bagel place, an italian restaurant, an indian restaurant, a mexican restaurant, an ace hardware, starbucks and other small businesses you would find in a shopping center. We ate at the bagel place, but not the others. There is also a Pat and Oscar's restaurant. We do not have these where we live so we went in & checked the menu, didn't care for pizza and pasta so we did not eat there.

Right next to the hotel is a Howard Johnson's hotel and a gas station. Next to the Howard Johnson's is a Taco Bell and also right next to the hotel is a Mexican restaurant. It did not get the best reviews so we chose not to eat there. We actually took a drive to Encinitas to eat at Chili's. :) Yes, it was 10 miles to find specific restaurants! Oh well. You get to get out and drive around and see the different areas right?

The hotel is a short drive to Torrey Pines State Reserve. Get there early to get a free parking spot. BUSY on the weekends however.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kimod74
Reviewed March 17, 2010

The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. The staff is friendly. The rooms themselves were fine. Not a ton of space but adequate. The restaurant menu sounded great. The bar had some local craft beers on tap. The outdoor patio area was pretty.
My biggest complaint is the $18 parking fee and the dark somewhat isolated sidewalk to & from the parking a garage.
My other issue was that the rooms could have used some, I guess I'll call it maintenance type cleaning. The carpet had dirty spots, & the throw on the end of the one bed that had one had strange stains.
From what we found the "Business Center" was a few time-limited computers in the lobby that had issues accessing work related sites.
I like the Del Mar area that this hotel is in because it's not the "rest" of Del Mar near the fairgrounds. What I wasn't necessarily fond of is getting in & out of the hotel due to the orientation of the hotel on the street. But everything in this business park area has the same issue.
We ended up at this hotel because we bid on a 3 1/2 star level on Priceline rather than our usual 3 star in this area. The 3 star is the Double Tree that, while not as "pretty" and not featuring what seems to be an outstanding restaurant, doesn't charge for parking. You'd think these places being almost directly across the street from each other parking would be either paid or not at both. Odd.
I'd stay again for the right price, but I'd prefer the Double Tree that has free parking and seems cleaner. Anyone can visit the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank kiwifuz
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed here one night on business for $125 but it was $184 with parking, taxes, etc.

Overall, it was fine, but certainly nothing special. As other travelers have noted, the parking was too expensive and there was no free internet. It was nice that there was a computer and printer near the front desk to get my boarding pass for my flight out. The hotel is on an office park drive near I-5, so it was pretty easy access. Fine for business but probably not an attraction for families.

The room was extremely clean. It was about as clean as I have ever seen a room.

I only had breakfast at the restaurant and although I was only one of about three people in the place, it took forever for an omelet. And the waiter disappeared for about 10 minutes. Not something you want when you are on a business trip. My colleagues came down during my meal and we had to go find the waiter (chatting at the front desk) to get our bill so we could head out for our meeting.

Overall, the Marriott was pretty standard. Kudos on the cleanliness but pretty darn average everywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Pleasant experience. No complaints except the pricey parking as others noted. Top class restaurant on the premises.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#68 of 278 in San Diego
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!