“nice but high parking fee”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #103 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Schererville, Indiana
“nice but high parking fee”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. The staff is friendly. The rooms themselves were fine. Not a ton of space but adequate. The restaurant menu sounded great. The bar had some local craft beers on tap. The outdoor patio area was pretty.
My biggest complaint is the $18 parking fee and the dark somewhat isolated sidewalk to & from the parking a garage.
My other issue was that the rooms could have used some, I guess I'll call it maintenance type cleaning. The carpet had dirty spots, & the throw on the end of the one bed that had one had strange stains.
From what we found the "Business Center" was a few time-limited computers in the lobby that had issues accessing work related sites.
I like the Del Mar area that this hotel is in because it's not the "rest" of Del Mar near the fairgrounds. What I wasn't necessarily fond of is getting in & out of the hotel due to the orientation of the hotel on the street. But everything in this business park area has the same issue.
We ended up at this hotel because we bid on a 3 1/2 star level on Priceline rather than our usual 3 star in this area. The 3 star is the Double Tree that, while not as "pretty" and not featuring what seems to be an outstanding restaurant, doesn't charge for parking. You'd think these places being almost directly across the street from each other parking would be either paid or not at both. Odd.
I'd stay again for the right price, but I'd prefer the Double Tree that has free parking and seems cleaner. Anyone can visit the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kiwifuz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Danville, CA
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed here one night on business for $125 but it was $184 with parking, taxes, etc.

Overall, it was fine, but certainly nothing special. As other travelers have noted, the parking was too expensive and there was no free internet. It was nice that there was a computer and printer near the front desk to get my boarding pass for my flight out. The hotel is on an office park drive near I-5, so it was pretty easy access. Fine for business but probably not an attraction for families.

The room was extremely clean. It was about as clean as I have ever seen a room.

I only had breakfast at the restaurant and although I was only one of about three people in the place, it took forever for an omelet. And the waiter disappeared for about 10 minutes. Not something you want when you are on a business trip. My colleagues came down during my meal and we had to go find the waiter (chatting at the front desk) to get our bill so we could head out for our meeting.

Overall, the Marriott was pretty standard. Kudos on the cleanliness but pretty darn average everywhere else.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Southern Cal
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Pleasant experience. No complaints except the pricey parking as others noted. Top class restaurant on the premises.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My family and I experienced several problems with this hotel that began on check-in.
1. Following check-in, my daughter, staying in another room, called to say that there was a persistant and load "beeping" noise in her room. I went to her her room and sure enough, there was. I complained to the front desk. They said they would send an engineer. 30-45 minutes elapsed, she called the front desk, and shortly there this second call, someone came a resolved the problem.
2. This hotel has something called the "Just Like Home" Linen Resue Program. According to a card in my room: "We change bed linens every third day and upon each checkout for conservation purposes. However, we are delighted to meet your needs by changing bed linens upon request. Simply place this card on your pillow each day you would like your bed linens changed." Nowhere on this card does it state that the bed will not be made and that the room will not be picked up, but that is what happens at this hotel. I didn't use the card because I didn't care if I got clean linens, but I expected the bed to be made. When I complained about this, they sent a supervisor to my room to ask me if I really wanted to have the room made up. Finally, the room was picked up.

I've had better service at much less expensive facilities, and would never stay at this hotel again based on their "Just Like Home" policy. When I stay in a nice hotel, I don't want it to be just like home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Facility conforms to the expected high standards of the Marriott chain. Room appeared to be recently refurnished, but surprisingly lacks a few expected items such as a bathroom fan, mini-bar/refrigerator, and electrical outlets on the desk. On the fourth floor our room had a nice distance view that compensated for the roof and equipment immediately below. Per another review we self-parked behind the hotel using the self-park elevator rather than pay $16 for the lot. Checking in Sunday evening, we found the front desk staff pleasant, but trainees who were probably placed there when business was slower, which also explains the high-value $50 rate we got through Priceline. Health room had a nice view, excellent equipment, and fruit and bottled water. Really like the location that was away from the hustle and bustle of downtown.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Very clean and accomidating. Nice room with free bottled water. 2 free computers to use in the lobby. We booked the bed and breakfast rate of $70. thru Priceline. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Wonderful location, but park yourself for free instead of in the valet at $14, per day.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank OklahomaParislover
Orange County, CA
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We had a decent stay at the Del Mar Marriott. Upon check-in we got a room that was extremely smoky at a non-smoking hotel. They should have caught that before freeing up the room. They put us in a slightly bigger room afterwards. The check-in staff was rather disinterested. Another annoyance was the mandatory $16/day parking. After that, it was a very nice hotel, nice room, free coffee, free infused water in the lobby (compostable cups, thumbs up!). I followed up with the management about my minor issues (they sent me a survey), and they responded personally and very politely with a couple small comps if we returned. Very good customer service after the first issues. Lounge was NOT open on the weekends (Marriott Gold, albeit on a Priceline stay). Be careful on Sundays as they have a pool party with fairly loud music. Fun people watching there.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#66 of 278 in San Diego
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!