San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$157
$126
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$282
$260
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$207
$178
  • Beachfront
$214
$151
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
All reviewsarterra restaurantthe concierge loungesushi cheffront deskbusiness parktorrey pinespool areaself parkinggreat roomvery nice hotelbusiness tripnice poolper nightfreewaygymplatinumlegoland
Reviewed August 16, 2009

A very "happening" hotel with lots of parties and happy people. Very nice sized, clean room. Large flat screen TV. Adore the linens. Loved the bed. Good amenities, efficient staff, (tearing up the front parking area -I think but had 24hr personnel to direct traffic - no problem at all). Fast elevators, always running. Had dinner at the hotel and it was fabulous. Good menus all meals very reasonably priced. Excellent service. Got us out in 55 minutes to get to the theatre. Couldn't believe the dining room wasn't packed - but the bar was! Only neg comment was I ordered an Irish coffee at the bar later. Bartender had to make coffee and then no whipped cream which is an integral part of the drink. Had to use half and half. Would rather the bartender asked me to reorder. Wanted to go in the pool but no time. Great distance to everything including a large mall. I thought $16 for WiFi was a little high for a hotel located in such a highly visible business area. But, it allowed me to get important work done. Would definitely stay at again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zoiderella
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Spent one night at the Marriott Del Mar. Good location, decent price, and an average/good stay. Nothing Special, nothing bad either.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Considering the price of this hotel, things like internet access and parking should be complimentary, but they are NOT. These days, most hotels include both, so I can't imagine why this hotel doesn't - considering as a hotel it's nothing special. Then, there's only a single overpriced restaurant on property so if you don't happen to have a car, you have to hike to other locations to eat or suck it up to eat at their overpriced restaurant. Their "business center" is a couple of computers in the lobby and are very often occupied by the kids that stay at the hotel, so if you want to do business things you have to do like check in and get your boarding passes you have to ask the staff to do something about the kids. Easier said than done.
All in all, they need to work on some things before I would ever stay there again...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank stcapp
Reviewed July 14, 2009

This hotel is adequate...people tend to gush about marriotts but I have never been uber impressed by one yet...but this one overall was nice.

It isn't that I didn't like ithe hotel and I would not cringe to stay there again. I guess the problem is I have stayed at the equally adaquate Double Tree across the street which is $30 less and gives you free cookies....(the Marriott does offer you refreshing grapefruit water which I dug)

I purchased through Priceline for about 50ish + taxes aiming for a 3 star but they upgraded me to this 3.5 star property. The self-parking is $16 a day and Internet is an extra $12 bucks. The parking is shared with a business property which is a little bit of an unusual configuration..The rooms are smaller but have a lovely golden glow and were clean.

They did allow me to check in around 12:30 and were quite pleasant. They offered me a "pool or canyon view". I choose pool . The gent said they usually have music till 11pm but I was gone till much later then that so it didn't matter. The pool is big, modern and fun...

The restaurant at the hotel is on the foofy side...it has many wine accolades and such which made it pricey. There is lots of industrial/biotech biz in the area so I have a feeling they cater to industry expense acount lunches during the week...I will say there were plenty of good looking men around :) (torrey pines golf in SD weekend anyone?)

My only issue was that the computers in the lobby had an issue using sites with calendars ( aka sites booking hotel rooms, air flights ans such)....

If you are going to Torrey Pines, SD fair or Del Mar track...it is a solid choice

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank pulgadelmundo
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We checked in on 23rd of April, for 4 nights at room #222. Here is where the nightmare started (no exaggeration, in fact it is a bit toned-down).

On the night of the 24th, we decided to rent a humidifier from the hotel, since the first night in the room was dry (a typical California night). At 12-midnight, the fire-alarm goes off. With the 11 months old baby crying in that terrible noise, we do our best to try to put off the alarm for about 5 min. A lady calls in (who cannot speak much English, and has no clue about the humidifier), and tells us that she is going to send someone over.

A young man walks in the room, climbs on top of the bed with his SHOES ON, and struggles with the alarm for couple of minutes, then rips the alarm out the wall saying, "This is broken. I hope there's no fire from your room tonight, hehe."

I, then realized that the fans in the room was not working, and the humidifier has fogged the room, and caused the alarm to "break." We were very unsatisfied and decided to tell the front desk about what had happened.

The next morning, I walk up to the desk, and ask a young lady to pass on the message to the manager about the humidifier incident, and I was stunned by her response & attack.

Young lady: Well, OBVIOUSLY, we cannot foresee the alarm to break. Why didn't you report the fan problem in the first place?

Me: (Trying to figure out why she hasn't apologized ONCE, and why she is blaming the GUEST for not catching what is broken in the room) Uhh... could you please just pass on the message to your manager? We are very upset, and this is the first time in our lives that we made a complaint to a hotel (we have stayed at numerous hotels around the world, and this is by FAR the worst service). This is not what we've payed for.

Young lady: I am glad to replace you to another room, if that's what you want. IF YOU HADN'T RENTED A HUMIDIFIER, THIS WOULD NEVER HAD HAPPENED.

Me: (Trying to manage my anger from the rude tone, and how she tried to justify them not being responsible for the broken alarm REPEATEDLY) We will come back and discuss this, since my family needs some sleep. PLEASE pass on this message.

Since we could not go back to the hotel until around 9PM that night, I called the hotel, and they told me that we were getting an upgrade to room #1022, and access to the Concierge Room. We were not please with the young lady, but we thought that the hotel was doing there best at that point.

Early next morning, I tried to check the internet on the first floor, and the guy at the front was using one of the computers (out of two, and the other one was broken). It was not very pleasant having to wait for the WORKER to just sit there, browse through the internet. I did not complain about this, since we did not want to "rat" on this guy, but there was more to come.

We go into the Concierge Room to get some breakfast on the last morning. The lady there, told us that our name was not on the list. I had to explain everything to the lady, and she understood.

We were again, not very satisfied by this simple miscommunication within the hotel. When checking out of the hotel, the young guy at the front, had his hands in the pocket throughout our conversation. We have (again) never received this kind of service in our lives. The young workers at this hotel SERIOUSLY need a training. I would NEVER want to stay there, with that kind of service.

Side note:
We extended our stay in San Diego, but decided to stay at DoubleTree, and they did not have a great room, but the service was good (it stood out, after the stay at Marriott).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family