“But for the beds...”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #107 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This property is conveniently located with easy freeway access. It is newly remodeled so it looks great. The pool area is well appointed with comfy seating and the bar is beautiful. Having said that, I am astounded that the bed was so uncomfortable. Marriott usually has a wonderfully comfy bed. Even Courtyard Marriotts seem to have the signature Marriott Bed. Both my husband and I woke up the first morning with back pain and felt the mattress was less than supportive. After the second night we moved hotels... Also, the iron and ironing board were in bad shape. The iron left black marks on my husbands pants.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback on the hotel and positive comments on the completion of the recent renovation. I too am pleased with the comfortable seating throughout the bar and restaurant area and contemporary style guestrooms. Part of our extensive renovation was a complete new Marriott bedding package in each guest room. I regret that these new beds caused discomfort for both you and your husband.

I know how frustrating it can be to end up with a mark on your clothes when using the iron. Please contact me directly and it would be my pleasure to reimburse you for the pants that were damaged. I hope the staff and I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Best regards.

There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Del Mar

Reviewed August 26, 2012

On a recent stay at this hotel, I was lazy on Sunday morning, getting ready slowly. The Do Not Distrub sign was on the door as I wanted to take my time. About 10 AM, the phone rang, but I couldn't get to it in time. I proceeded to get ready, and about, 10:30 AM the phone rang again. It was the front desk asking if housekeeping could come in the room. I asked them to wait 45 minutes. Note: checkout time is noon. As soon as I hung up the phone, it rang again, and this time, it was housekeeping asking to enter the room. I again asked them to wait 45 mintues. I didn't leave a tip.

This hotel is nice and clean, and the bed was comfortable. I ate at the restaurant the previous night, and the meal was delicious, but overpriced. Also, there is a $20 a night parking fee. If the staff had not be so over-eager to get me out of the room, I would have been satisfied with the hotel. I travel consistently for business, and this is the first hotel to call about housekeeping before noon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Katrina H

Thank you so much for your recent review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that overall the experience was positive and dinner in the Arterra restaurant was delicious.

I do apologize for our overly zealous housekeeping staff and the disruption in your stay. I will certainly share your feedback with our staff in order to prevent this from happening to one of our future guests. Once again, my sincerest apologies and please let me know if I may ever be of future assistance.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Didn't get to check in this property until 10pm after getting a refund from another hotel due to sub par accomodation. Lydia was very professional and understanding of our situation that checking in was fast and efficient. She is an asset to this hotel. She waived our parking fee and immediately agreed when I requested a late check out. We were so exhausted that we didn't waste any time going to sleep but were surprised the morning how very nicely decorated and clean the room was. We opted to have brunch at Jake's by the beach which we tremendously enjoyed therefore not able to comment on the restaurant or food. It is a drive from downtown San Diego but it offers a lot of better features that my family and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Rooms are fine, with really really comfortable beds. And along with the great sushi, it is the only thing going for this hotel! It's a rather large hotel (which I don't prefer when traveling privately) which I visited for a conference, otherwise I would not have come here. You do really need your own car if you want to see a bit of San Diego and surrounding beaches. There is no shuttle, and taxi's are quite expensive (about 50usd one way). Walking to the beach is possible in a boring 30 minutes walk along big roads.
The hotel restaurant is quite nice, with great sushi. In the surroundings (10 minutes walk) you'll find a small shoppingmall where a few ok restaurants are. If you have your own transportation there is more choice in the nearby village Del Mar.
The hotel has a [--] internetpolicy, in the lobby it is for free, but in your room you pay 2 usd per time you use it plus 1usd per minute. In the conferencearea, the internetconnection is under a code, which is kind of annoying since there is nothing more than a few companies and other hotels in the area.
All in all, it was a fine hotel for the purpose, but I would choose something different for private travelling.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marieke_KMT
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel is great for the business traveler who has an expense account. Everything is available for the business person here including a beautiful and comfortable room and a nice workout gym. However, for the average tourist there is a lot to be desired. Everything here is very expensive. Parking is $20! They have a nice garage a few steps away from the hotel (that was half empty) and yet they charge extra. Breakfast of two eggs and bacon was $18.

The hotel is situated in a business office area. There is NOWHERE one can walk to. You must eat in their restaurant or take your car and drive 3-5 miles somewhere. There is a freeway nearby which takes up much of the views in the rooms.

This hotel is not near any attractions except the Torrey Pines State Park. Downtown San Diego is 12 miles away. And remember this...getting anywhere in San Diego near rush hours is nearly impossible. Being familiar with both Los Angeles and San Diego I feel that San Diego's freeways are much more congested than L.A.'s.

Unfortunately, during our visit, the front office staff lost our welcome bag for a wedding we were attending. They did not seem too concerned and basically just said "We're sorry...too bad." We did not like that attitude...the wedding arrangers paid a lot for that bag and they lost it.

A little thing but still annoying...half of their vending machines were out of soft drinks...we had to climb 5 stories up to find a vending machine that was filled.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as possible to at least get some type of view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Rogerdob
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here with friends visiting from out of town for two nights. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, the towels soft and the service excellent. The hotel is located within a business park, so the only restaurant nearby is Tio Leos Mexican. I suggest having drinks in the cool bar with comfortable seating and great service. If you have a car, it is a short distance to Torrey Pines State Beach, La Jolla, downtown Del Mar and Legoland. Relax and enjoy the sunset.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SDLocal
MHW1, General Manager at San Diego Marriott Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our Arterra Lounge. We look forward to having you as one of our guests during a future stay. All the best.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the San Diego Marriott Del Mar when we visited Legoland. We wanted to be in a location that was located between San Diego and Legoland. It is only a 15 minute drive or so to San Diego and about a 15 minute drive to Legoland. The hotel was very nice and the staff is very friendly. Our room was clean. The hotel is also located right off the freeway, so it it easy to get on the freeway to drive to San Diego or Legoland. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and staff service. If your future travels bring you to Del Mar we look forward to having you as our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#72 of 278 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
San Diego Marriott La Jolla

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!