“Pleasant Hotel but Very Noisy Pool Area”

San Diego Marriott Del Mar
Ranked #107 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband had a business meeting in the area so I had a couple of days to relax. The room was pleasant and nice. There was no shampoo when we checked into our room, but they provided it almost immediately. Parking is expensive though. The weather was perfect to sit outside by the lounge and pool area but instead of having a quiet place to read a book, the background music was VERY loud and at times brassy! Not all of us are hard of hearing. I changed spots 3 times to find a "quieter" place but it was all the same - LOUD! So I had to go back inside to find a quiet place (our room!) but would have loved to be sitting outside with such perfect weather.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Del Mar

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Excellent hotel for a Business Trip. When you include valet or parking and the always expensive room service it got to be quite pricey on the expense report. It's in a business park with not much to see or do in walking distance, but rent a convertible and your just minutes from anything and everything you'd want to see in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for their "Pure" rooms. They have 10 hypoallergenic rooms available.
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I spent 2 nights here as I had meetings in the area. The staff was courteous, the room was clean and modern and the location was reasonably convenient to north San Diego, La Jolla and Del Mar.

Unlike most of the Marriott's I've stayed in recently, I found the bed and bed linens a bit uncomfortable - the linens were very stiff. The room A/C-Heat just blew cool air even when set to Heat, I wound up turning it off so the room would warm up.

I had drinks in the bar, which was quite lively in the evening. There were multiple events being held during both the day and evening both days I was there, and the noise carried up to my room on the 2nd floor.

Parking was on the pricey side, though the room rate was OK with my corporate discount.

Overall, it was middle of the road for a Marriott property. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but it was OK for a couple of nights.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed here in advance of a business meeting the following day. I checked in around 11:30 pm on a mid-week evening. The room was average and the A/C didn't function properly (either too hot or cold and loud besides). I only got one of the two wake-up calls I arranged. It was expensive for the one night. I would not recommend this hotel - there are simply too many other options but this was the only property located near my appointment and was convenient for a late check-in.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

My daughter & I stayed here while attending a soccer tournament; the hotel was chosen by the team, and I would probably have selected a cheaper place if traveling on my own, but the hotel is super nice and easy to get to from I5. The address says San Diego, but is still about 10-15 minutes north of what a tourist would consider "San Diego". So if you're looking for a place NOT in the hustle & bustle of downtown but close by, this is a good place to stay. Despite the fact we were there for a soccer tournament and there were other teams staying there, it did not seem overly loud or busy, even for a holiday weekend. One drawback is everything costs extra. Self-parking $15 or valet parking $20. Internet $12. Plus all the taxes etc really increased the price of the room. Parking garage was decent but does have a height limit. Pool looked very nice but we didn't have time to use it. My room was the farthest from the elevator on an upper floor, so maybe that is why it was so quiet...no one wandering back & forth past my room! The inside of the room was pleasant & clean, and the bed was so very comfortable! Nice large bathroom, enough room for both my daughter & I to spread out our toiletries!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Ok for solo biz travel but neither inviting nor accommodating for family.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed here Friday - Sunday in late October. This property serves more as a business hotel with Mon - Fri business, we felt the weekend crowd was quite light and he hotel was quiet. We were impressed with every stafff member that we came into contact with, all very friendly and professional. The hotel is located just east of I-5 and does not have an ocean view. You will need a car to get around as the beach, downtown Del Mar, and other local attractions are not walkable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#72 of 278 in San Diego
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
San Diego Marriott La Jolla

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!