Tripadvisor
San Diego
Open today: 6:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Review Highlights
Tuesday Fun

The noble experiment Needed a quick date night I made a reservation on line which is why I’m... read more

Reviewed January 22, 2020

from $30.00
from $28.00
from $58.00
More Info
All reviews hidden bar speak easy haunted mansion craft cocktails speakeasy type incredible ambiance time slot super fun kegs skull yelp catacombs kiss sd master
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2020

A reasonable bar, nice list and able to make decent classic cocktails. Downside was the host who was strange, a little aggressive and intimidating.

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank CocktailFyre
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Cool spot but you definitely need a reservation! There were five of us and the place is really small and even with a reservation we had to wait, they only have a few table to accommodate that many, not sure how they would even handle a bigger group. But once you walk in its awesome, cool decor fun menu and great waiters. Definitely worth the wait!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed November 27, 2019

This review is for the host that was working the night of November 23, 2019.

I walked into the kitchen/waiting area with my group of 9 people. The kitchen was filled with people so I already knew there would be a wait. I asked the host how long the wait would be; he told me to wait outside and he would come out and talk to me. I waited in the kitchen because it was cold outside. We waited for about 15 minutes. Within this 15 min, I saw him talk to other customers and check them in. So I asked again what the wait time would be and he told me to go outside AGAIN. I said can you just tell me how long the wait is because you told me to go outside and wait but you never came and you've been checking people in. He then asked how big my group was and I said a group of 9. He responded that we would take up a 1/3 of his restaurant so it would only be possible to seat us if he split us up into 2 groups and even if he split us up we had about 5 parties ahead of us.

Keep in mind he still didn't respond to my question of how long the wait would be. He essentially only gave me reasons to leave without explicitly stating so. I walked back to my group who was waiting by the door to explain that we would have to split up. As I did this, he started telling my group repeatedly to move outside because it was a fire hazard to stand by the door. My entire group had been waiting there the whole time and now all of a sudden it was a problem. Fire Hazard? That entire kitchen filled with people was a fire hazard. This was the point where I began to get angry because he was without a doubt being rude and unprofessional for no reason.

The host was ushering our group out the door! I couldn't believe how rude he was being. First he was too busy to talk to me and give me a wait time, now he's giving us the VIP walk out. I asked what his name was and he laughed and said "get out." I asked again and he said "leave." I said WILL get your name if I don't get it, your boss and people on yelp will definitely know who I am referring to! So I took a picture of him. He said you just took a picture with out my consent! LOL. He said do you need me to get my manager? I said Yes! He didn't obviously and I caught his bluff. He again said you took a picture without my consent and i just said STFU youre a joke. And he said good luck getting back in here. We all laughed at him and left.

The people Noble Experiment has handling its door and guests are a joke. I can see from another recent 1 star review that someone had a problem with another hostess. NE needs to train its hosts properly. With the little power NE gave him, he was unnecessarily rude and unprofessional. Probably making up for his literal shortcomings.

Reviewed November 25, 2019

Thanks to reviews that strongly recommended a reservation, we made one for 6:00, when they opened. I'm so glad we did because the place is small and once people get there, they don't leave quickly. The entry looks like the side door to an under-construction restaurant but there is a staff person at the door checking everyone in. She then takes a few couples in at a time to seat them. We sat at the bar and it was fun watching the bartenders do their thing. They will make traditional cocktails, or riffs on those cocktails from the "other side of the menu," or you can tell them the flavors and liquors you like and they will create something for you. The couple sitting next to us live in San Diego and stop in at least once a month. They strongly recommended the Buddah's Kiss. It's not a drink I would have ordered based on the description but they were right -- it tastes like a frothy drunk candy bar! Great time, great atmosphere.

Reviewed November 10, 2019

Went here today after having reservations and the place is hidden and neat. Got the Classic Martini which was very good!