“Great Beer Selection, Yummy Bar Food”
Review of Small Bar

Small Bar
Ranked #2,183 of 4,753 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating
Malibu, California
“Great Beer Selection, Yummy Bar Food”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have to admit, I was reluctant to go inside at first considering the odd, slightly obnoxious people loitering out front (they finished their cigs & beers & left shortly thereafter) but so glad I did! I have since been back a few times and have had a good experience each time. One thing to note, the service can be disappointing depending on who is behind the bar. The beer selection is great, the chicken sliders tasty, homemade Italian sausage to die for...the bonus is sandwiches come with great, seasoned shoestring fries! I will definitely stop by when I am in the neighborhood!

• Visited September 2012

Wisconsin
“Great beer selection”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I don't think I've ever seen so many different beers on tap. Tried many of them and some were excellent and some were, well, more novelty, like the jalapeno type beer.

They have a chalk board up above that tells the alcohol content, and there are some that pop up to 10%.

Had the mini taco appetizers, and man were they good. Fresh, small, and hit the spot while downing some cold brews I've never heard of, and likely never will see again.

• Visited June 2012
San Diego, California
“Best Steak Sandwich I've Had”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The "Firecracker Sandwich" is the best sandwich I've had in San Diego (1 year in). Wow! And they have fried pickles, which I've been missing since I left the south. And a great selection of beers (not too big, but a great selection). This is a great place for an afternoon meeting (with wifi).

Visited June 2012
San Diego
“Not worth the brunch hype”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I heard so much about the brunch at Small bar, and just the food for that matter. I ordered the Chile Verde and Bloody Mary. The breakfast was a decent sized portion, but the pork was so overloaded with salsa, that I could not taste the pork. The eggs were fine, scrambled, but no flavor.
The Mary was quite the show. It comes with lots of fixins inside, bacon slice, lime, spicy rim, celery, green bean. Then the skewer has shrimp,olive stuffed with bleu cheese, tomato and I forget what else. The drink is spicy, but i have had better bloody marys elsewhere.
My friend ordered Life on Mars- nothing special. Bartenders were very attentive and friendly. Good beer list. Food line is at the barrel, when you walk in. Small bar is small, but cute.
I am glad I tried it, but wouldnt rush back.

• Visited March 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
“Amazing Beer Selection”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I hate to be the third review to title my review "amazing", but Small Bar earns the label.

I am giving Small Bar 5 Stars based on the quality and variety of their beer selection. There are not that many places in San Diego that have Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge, Anchor Small Beer or Gueuzerie Tilquin. They only have 42 or so beers here so it isn't like these places that advertise 100, 200 beers on tap, but what stands Small Bar alone is the quality of the beers. There are not many household names here, at least not household outside San Diego. They have a great selection of San Diego and So Cal micro brews, plus some of the notable ones I mentioned above.

The service is fine at Small Bar, just about what I expect at a bar and the bartenders have always been unfailingly pleasant and when they had the time, chatty, but it can get busy so they can't stand around while you read through all 42 beers and ask questions about each one.

Here is the beer menu, they update it daily, read it before you go and do your own research.

I've eaten here a couple of times and the food was good. I don't recall it being OMG great, but I do recall it was better than average and interesting.

I come here for the beer though and so should you.

• Visited November 2011