“Did we 'see' a whale?? Barely” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #110 of 255 Outdoor Activities in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: From late December through mid-April, about 26,000 gray whales make the journey from the cold and volatile waters of the Arctic Sea to Baja California. From June until November, the mighty blue whales make their way into their feeding grounds, off the coast of southern California. Take a boat out of Mission bay to the Coronado Islands just across the Mexican border and enjoy your cruise viewing whales, dolphins, elephant seals and more. The tour boat serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. It can get very cold on the water, so bring a jacket.
San Diego, California
“Did we 'see' a whale?? Barely”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We did see some dolphins, but whales that were 'close' were not close at all. There were way too many people on the boat. It's just a cattle-car with people struggling to see a whale 1/4 mile away. Lot's of dolphns were there, but overall, the boat was not a great boat to spend time on. It's designed for fishing, not 'whale watching'. Poor seating, not very comfortable, nor stable. And when wild life was available, it was difficult to get a good view because they overbook the boat. We did see a whale, but the trip was a bust. I would not spend the money here.

Visited April 2014

Boise, Idaho
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Whale Watching”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We took a 3.5 hour whale watching tour. The crew seemed knowledgable and experienced. The boat was clean. The crew found us dophins for viewing in a short amount of time. The reason why I rated this as a '3' was because the narrative was dry and boring. They served a complimentary clam chowder which was okay. Beer was sold separately. We were lucky on our trip to have viewed 2 pods of whales, and 2 different species of dophins. We bought our tickets on Groupon, so we feel we got our money's worth.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank PaulaW1
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Stunningly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Took the 8 hour tour on 9/28. The staff were kind and knowledgeable and the food was great. More importantly, we saw soooo much wildlife..whales and more whales, dolphins, sea lions, many different birds. This tour was the highlight of our trip to San Diego. Thank you for a wonderful time!

2 Thank Waalley
San Diego, California
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Cap'n, There Be WHALES HERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was on the 4.5 hour tour special that went out on 9/25. The official count on Blue Whales was 10 seen up close and we did see others in the distance. We saw nearly 1000 Common Dolphins, Sea Lions, Cormorants, Egrets, Blue Heron, Pelicans and a Mola Mola Fish. This was a personal best trip for me and the most whales I have ever seen at one time. The crew on the Privateer was great, they even fed us lunch! It was the best $10 I have ever spent. I have gone on numerous trips with this company on the Privateer, including the very first trip after she came to San Diego.

I enjoy them a lot, and although I live here and can go anytime and with anyone, I prefer to go out with Pacific Nature Tours. I like Melissa, one of their naturalists and the woman that did the tour on the 9/25 trip was really good, she has a great way with words and an outgoing and easy nature, pun intended. An Overall Joyful Trip, I am so glad I got to take advantage of the special and on my day off, had a glorious day.

4 Thank SoCalMediaSurfer
Port Orange
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This trip should of been dolphin tour. Couldn't believe the pods of dolphins we saw. They swam under the front of the boat n had a great view. We did see three whales n the last one lifted its tale. We went on the 8 hour tour. We are traveling from Florida for a month trip. We did a three hour whale tour in Huntington Beach so we wanted to see the difference. Saw the same amount of whales but got to see some great birds n dolphins. But we also saw sea lions n seals. Captain was very informative. On the way back I started feeling the water but not bad.
Good thing they gave us breakfast n lunch along with drinks. The food wasn't bad.
I would go again