Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$138
$126
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$260
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
  • Beachfront
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
All reviewschili's restaurantfront deskhi expressyogurtla jollarooms are bigbusiness tripbusiness hotelthe general managerthe breakfast areafree breakfastnice hotelstaff was friendly and helpfulquiet locationhotel is locatedminute driveclean rooms
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed 2 nights, from June 26-28, in Room #413 at the Sorrento Holiday Inn. Our room couldn't have been better! The fourth floor is newly renovated, with new carpeting, wallpaper, and furnishings. There was a vaulted ceiling at our window, which made the room seem even bigger. The choice of a soft or firm pillow was also nice. The flat-screen TV had 50+ channels, which is unusual for a hotel. The new furniture and carpet was very nice.

The front-desk staff were very helpful! We forgot our toothbrushes, and they had complimentary ones available (as well as toothpaste, razors, etc.). On our last night, we asked if we could store some dinner leftovers in their fridge (no in-room fridge), and they happily obliged.

I used the fitness center on 2 occasions, both at off-peak times, so I was by myself. My only complaint about the hotel might be that the fitness center didn't have an elliptical machine. There are 2 treadmills, an exercise bike, and a weight machine. The TV is first come, first served in the sense that it has a remote, and whomever has that will control what is being watched.

We didn't use the pool/jacuzzi, but it looked nice. We did have free breakfast every morning downstairs. I would say the breakfast was so-so, but since it was free, I can't complain. There is a small selection of hot dishes (changed with each day), cereal, toast, yogurt, cinnamon buns, danishes, and of course coffee and juice. It was definitely a nice way to start the day.

Parking was never a huge problem. The hotel shares its parking lot with a Chili's restaurant (convenient for dinner) and there is another hotel in the same general area, but we found parking spots each night when we returned.

Since we'd only paid $88 a night, we really didn't expect much other than your basic Holiday Inn. What we got was excellent service and a really nice room. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sophie832
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My husband and I reserved a room block of fifty room-nights at this hotel for most of the out-of-town guests attending our wedding in La Jolla in August 2008. We chose this hotel because of the location and price: not terribly far from La Jolla and a price that our friends and family could afford.

If you are familiar with the Holiday Inn Express brand, this hotel delivers: my husband and I always choose this brand all over the country and it has never failed us to deliver clean and quiet odor-free rooms, comfortable bedding, functional and free internet, and a reasonable price. Note we do NOT choose this brand for the food - just go find a Denny's or McDonald's if you're on a budget but you need to eat in the morning.

I want to call out the fantastic service the manager, Ken, provided us (in making the arrangements) and our family (in serving their needs during their stay.) Ken is service-oriented, friendly, and produced excellent results. All the feedback from my family about this hotel, especially Ken and his staff, was quite positive.

Be aware that the hotel is near enough to MCAS Miramar that you will very much hear the jets if they are flying. The jets do observe a curfew, so if this is a concern for you I'd discuss it with the manager to get the details before you book. None of our guests complained to us that the noise was a problem.

If you are in the market for an informal hotel in this part of San Diego, I would highly recommend this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank CACSanDiego
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My company's headquarters are on Sorrento Valley road. I have stayed at several of the local Hotels. This Holiday Inn is by far the best compared against the Hyatt in La Jolla, Woodfin and the Marriott Court Yard.

I always arrive in the evenings on Sunday. The front desk person Jeff is always a pleasure to talk to. He always can quickly address any questions I may have and gets me a room key quickly. The rooms here are clean and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning is also yummy. The hostess makes special effort to say hello to everyone there.

As I continue to travel to San Diego Sorrento Valley for business I will continue to stay at this Holiday Inn. Other Holiday Inns should use this one as the example of excellence.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I have had a wonderful experience with all of the Holiday Inns (Express included) in San Diego, and there is not much else I can really add besides how clean it is, how great the little extras are (the shampoo, conditioner, lotion... how cute are they?!), and how nicely presented the rooms are. Also, nothing is more awesome than free wifi in your room! SWEET! I look forward to staying in many more!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank secretagentangie
HIESV, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2008

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review for our property. We appreciate your comments and are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future. Please visit our website for up to date information and pictures regarding our renovation coming soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2008

This hotel was perfect for our family of 4. The pull-out sofa was just right for our 2 daughters who are 4 and 8 and the king bed was heavenly. A pillow-top mattress with a collection of soft and firm pillows from which to choose and a fluffy duvet-my husband and I couldn't wait to get in that bed every night.
The housekeeper did a nice job of cleaning and providing enough towels every day.
We spent a lot of time in the heated pool. It could use a little repainting along the edges but otherwise again, it was just perfect for a family. I love spas but this one was kept pretty hot so I could only sit on the steps for a few minutes before I had to get back out.
The breakfast is good. There are hot foods and cold and of course the HIE cinnamon rolls. Our children loved picking out what they wanted to eat.
Every afternoon at the desk the staff provided hot freshly baked cranberry and white chocolate chunk cookies. That was a nice treat!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for your comments regarding our housekeeping staff, they have the toughest job in our business and I do feel we have the best in the business at our hotel. They work very hard to please our guests and it is with great pride that I thank you on their behalf. To address your concerns, we have repainted the surfaces at the pool and adjusted the spa temperature to 103 degrees. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review for our property. We appreciate your comments and are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit our website for up to date information and pictures regarding our renovation coming soon.