“Rooms - Nice Sizes, Quiet, Clean... Just a tiny bit of wear”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley
Ranked #83 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Lyons, Colorado
“Rooms - Nice Sizes, Quiet, Clean... Just a tiny bit of wear”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express from Feb 3rd-5th. The staff was friendly and very willing to help with pretty much anything I needed. The rooms were kept very clean, although showing just a little bit of age (chair in room showing wear, bath tub spigot a little bent to the left). Despite a busier road outside in the morning, I was able to work with my laptop by an open window for most of the morning with no noise issues. The breakfast was well-stocked although I would have appreciated more fruit. That being said, there was a nice bowl of apples in the lobby.

I did not take advantage of the the fitness center or pool due to a head cold, but I would definitely return on my next business trip and I can check it then.

Room Tip: Rooms in the lower digits are closer to Lusk Blvd (e.g. 101-104, 201-204, etc.). Higher digits will...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Burbank, California
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The first time I arrived I was greeted with friendly staff and were very attentive to my requests - in person and over the phone. The room was moderately sized, well kept with ref, microwave, coffeemaker enough for my short stay. A training room was provided that was clean and quiet. Though, the location is a bit tricky to find as there are a couple of the same hotel nearby. Nearest train is COASTER-Sorrento Valley 7~12mins away depending on traffic. Thank you Holiday Inn Express, it was a pleasure staying there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a training session. Staff was very helpful and friendly. I was always greeted anytime I passed by the front desk. The hotel room was really nice & very clean. My only complaint is the water pressure in the shower. Later in the week a pipe did break in the hotel and I'm wondering if that was the reason for the bad pressure - not sure but it did make washing my hair a challenge. If i turn the shower head to spay it wasn't bad but I needed the stream to wash my hair (see photo). Also I did do a couple jogs around the neighbor area - very nice and no concerns about jogging in the area. King Bed was very comfortable - room was quiet I never heard the outside noise. Also nice that Chilli's Restaurant is in the same parking lot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SD_GM92131, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Sorrento Valley and telling other travelers about your stay. We are elated to hear that you found our front desk staff to be “helpful and friendly”. We take pride in striving to provide guests with more than exceptional guest experiences and are glad you took notice. We pleased to hear that our location was "a great neighboorhood area" which allowed you to go jogging. Your input is very important and we can asure you that we have addressed the water pressure issue. Your input allows us to make our property a functioning one and it is guest like you that help us make that happen. We hope to see you on your nest stay in San Diego.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are large and there is a Mexicain type restaurant across the parking lot.
Pretty rare for an HIE is the outdoor spa.

Room are, flat screen TV.

Good place for business trip, close to the Qualcomm campus. Traffic is pretty hard at rush hours to join the highway 5 or 805.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

At this point I have stayed at several HIEs in a variety of locations. This place was average overall, but relative to other stays, at other locations this place was only so so.

Service could be better, hit or miss. Some people were great, others couldn't care less about making you feel welcome.

Definitely overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Melissa D
Long Beach, California
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had to be at a work meeting early in the morning. This is a great location if you are in the Sorrento Valley/Mira Mesa area. Clean, efficient and courteous service. There are also plenty of dining options nearby - even if it feels a bit like an office park part of town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My personal experience, good hotel, convenient for me as I was working in the area for a few days, you probably wouldn't choose to stay here other wise, it's a $50 cab ride from the airport. Nothing wrong with the hotel, staff excellent, rooms very good, plenty to eat around the hotel, breakfast limited, and one day it made me sick, could only have been that, as it was all I had eaten that day.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms over looking Mira Messa Blvd
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ikorel
JasonSD12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego-Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Holiday Inn Express Sorrento Valley. We appreciate such kind words and for staying with us. We do apologize for any inconenvience that may have been caused. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the items and fix them immediately. We hope to see you during your next stay in San Diego. Thank you!