“Horrible Experience”

Ranked #214 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Rafael, California
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

(We are a family of 4 and had traveled with another family of 4 ) When we first got there it seems that it was going to be a nice place to stay at. We tried to checkin at 2:30pm but were told there was not going to be a room available until 3:00p. That was fine with us since we were aware of the 3:00pm check-in. We went back at 3:30 and when we were checking in they charged both our rooms and my friends room to his credit card. The front desk lady for whatever reason charged both rooms to one credit card, even though the rooms were booked under two different names. I dont know what she was thinking. Here is where it gets worse. When we walk into our room right away we got a smell of smoke and of alcohol. You can tell that someone had been partying there. Even though we had booked a non smoking room. so we notify the front desk and the manager comes and sees the room, and off the bat he tells us that his since of smell isnt the greatest (that didnt help), but he still moved us but had to downgrade us to a smaller room since the same style of room wasnt available. He alos lowered the rate which we had to ask him to go lower since it wasnt right that he was only going to discount us $20, so after 2 hours, yes 2 hours, we finally got our room. We were some mad that we were looking at other hotels so we wouldnt have to stay there the second night, but there was nothing available around the area we wanted to be at. The rooms were "ok" the sheets were rough, the bath towels were like sandpaper, the kitchen towels were stained, and worst part was when we would take a shower, the water would get very hot randomly, and this was dangerous since we had 2 kids.then when we finally checked out a different front desk person made another mistake, they charged my friends credit card the discount rate we were suppose to get, and charged our card his rate. so we had to get that issue resolved. Its not over, 4 hours after we had left, we got a call from the hotel asking us who was going to get charged what amount on the credit cards. My wife was so mad she went off on them and i think they finally go the point. As of today 8/20/12, one day after we checked out, our credit card statment still shows the regualr rate and the discounted rate charged, but they told us to wait a couple more days to have our bank clear the regualr amount and the discounted rate should be the only amount showing. Not only was this experience a waste of our vacation time, but the whole stay at this hotel was not up to standards.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheTruth415
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this review, August 24, 2012

The staff and I strive to provide our guests with friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings. It seems, based on your feedback, that we were unable to do this for you. As the General Manager I take your remarks very seriously and am going to work with the staff to ensure that these types of situations do not happen again.

I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed just 1 night but it was a pleasant one.
The manager brought us some items that were missing from the kitchen. Was given a room on the ground floor that was the model room. Ultra clean & fresh smelling!!!! No complaints whatsoever!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank rhondatheroadie
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish the review of your stay at the Homestead San Diego - Sorrento Mesa. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests like you. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed July 12, 2012

From the one plastic drinking "glass" to the scratchy sheets to the lack of anywhere to relax outdoors and the horrible location far from any shopping/restaurants/beaches/hiking, I'm not sure where to begin my complaints. The room was tiny, and the kitchen so small it was not functional.
Actually, the stove did not work when we arrived because the burners had not been attached properly. There was only one pot in the room for us to cook with, no knives other than two butter knives, no spoons, sponge, dish soap, salt/pepper... nothing. The coffee provided in the morning didn't even come with milk. Unbelievable! There was not even a pen or pad of paper in the room, or a do not disturb sign.
It smelled musty and gross... with dirt in the corners of the room.
The plastic tray holding the few pieces of unmatched, extremely cheap, bent "silverware" was FILTHY... covered in brown scum.
I was stuck here for a week due my partner's work assignment for the Navy, and it was a horrible experience. They had promised that we would have a queen bed, but we were stuck with a double and slept poorly. The pillows were old and flat. There is no place to exercise safely, there were loud families appearing to live in these tiny rooms (section 8 housing?).
Not a place I would suggest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sarah2032
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Diego Sorrento Mesa. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Reviewed June 29, 2012

C$G,

This was my first time coming to this location and ended up staying for a full month while my home in La Jolla was being re-decorated. Initially I was located on the second floor near Mira Mesa Bl., sleeping at night was a little difficult for me I called the front desk spoke to Lyn, right away she made arrangements for me to move the next day making a smooth transition to the next room, which was not only quieter but totally updated with new furniture, lights and bedding. Cheyne and Eddie were very prompt In helping me move my things to the new room. The staff here is "par excellence", for their willingness to make everyone feel at home, and will do their very best to accommodate your needs. They take the time to "listen" which is very important, and have a true willingness to be of service. The staff of Eddie, Cheyne, Lyn, Christine, Habiba and Emil who is the Manager are simply "excellent", they treat customers with respect, its a true joy to be in their presence, wonderful people.

"everything in the rooms work properly"
"Rooms on the south side are quieter"
"ample parking"
"close to all major freeways"
"close to shopping, dining, fine dining, and kid's things, in the "golden triangle"

I hope that your experience exceeds mine, and you will always come back, I know that I will.

C$G,
Partner, Simper Pacific (SPWS)

"deo velente"

Room Tip: "everything in the rooms work properly" "Rooms on the south side are quieter"...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank csgmoneyman
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego Sorrento Mesa. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. I will definitely share your comments with my wonderful staff and highly recognize them for their excellent customer service! We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I requested a non-smoking room, but was given a smoking room by mistake, since the motel was full due to the Del Mar Fair, I was stuck. The room smelled very bad, 3 cigarette stains on the bathroom counter, the bedding smelled like smoke. I even went and bought a can of Lysol, and it didn't help much.

Staff at front desk was friendly and apologetic, but she was too young and inexperienced to be able to do anything for me in the way of a discount, credit or anything.

I often travel to Baja for surfing trips and stay in some pretty low end facilities and I am used to subpar room, but I'll have to say this one was the worst. Luckily it was only one night.

So anyone staying here, beware.........

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wndysrf
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Diego Sorrento Mesa. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. As a hotel manager, we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable at a exceptional price. Please know that we have a strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as nonsmoking rooms. It should never be the case that a guest request a non smoking room is placed in a smoking room when preferred room type is available. In response to your comments, I have met with the staff to find out how such an experience occurred and determine a system for preventing a repeat occurence.Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I book all of our Employee's hotel accommodations at this Hotel. Employee's are always very satisfied with their stay. The staff (Christine, Lyn, Cheyne, Emil) have always been so extremely helpful and so nice & welcoming to all of our employee's. We really enjoy there service & hospitality and wouldn't ever book rooms anywhere else.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tricia M
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego Sorrento Mesa. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. I will definitely share your comments with my wonderful staff and highly recognize them for their excellent customer service! We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my second time coming here, and I am glad that I came back. The first time, I received great customer service from manager Emil, and front desk workers April and Cheyne, and this time, I also received the same service from Emil, Cheyne, and Habiba. I was offered some shampoo, razors, and a toothbrush at the front desk. The rooms are excellent. The best part of the rooms are that they come with kitchens complete with pots/pans and utensils, so it's just like being home. This hotel is also the cheapest in the area and located near biotech companies and supermarkets/restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Charles C
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America San Diego Sorrento Mesa. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case! And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.