“Great Hotel, Awful Day Spa”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Excellent hotel located right in Gaslamp!!

Front desk was exceptional! Always friendly, courteous and willing to go the extra mile. When I've stayed at hotels before and they knew that I purchased the room through a discounter (priceline, hotwire, etc) I would receive nominal service and probably a nominal room too. Not the case with this hotel! My entire family stayed for a mini-reunion (we had kids all the way through my parents who are in their 70s).

The only thing I would say otherwise is that this hotel is probably geared more towards the business traveler or the adult who is looking to stay in the midst of the vibrant downtown scene. Not too much for my niece & nephew who are both under 6. Pool is ok, but small and not much of a "playzone."

Lastly - the day spa that's attached to the hotel, Artesia Day Spa is absolutely awful. I booked a massage for my sis-in-law to surprise her for her birthday (which was the day we arrived). The first person who booked my appointment was friendly. However, when I called on the day of the appt to inquire about pushing back my sister's appt since we were delayed in our travel plans, the receptionist took that as me cancelling my appointment and didn't even call to confirm. So when my sister and I showed up (on time since we rushed to the hotel!) at the spa, we were met with the rudest employee who told her that her appointment was cancelled and there was nothing to do they could do about it. However, the masseus that was going to be assigned to my sister was standing right there (they were looking at her to see if she'd stay and the masseus walked out the front door). Then when we asked if there were any other appointments available during our brief stay, we were met with a stern no. When I left the spa and went back to call from my room to speak with a manager, the receptionist told me that she didn't know who the manager was and that managers had weird schedules - in other words, she knew it was me trying to speak with someone higher than her.

I've worked in hotels before and service that we received at the spa is something that is just unacceptable! My sister was sorely disappointed and was a downpoint to our otherwise exquisite stay at the Hilton.

Definitely recommend the hotel, definitely not the day spa.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank wanderlust516
Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed June 3, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here complimentary of his work, so of course free is always nice. Prior to my arrival, my boyfriend had added me to his room so that i could get a key if he wasnt there. The front desk was rude and explained that although I was on the guest list for the room, that did not allow me a key as I was not on the original itinerary. Fair enough I suppose since this makes it more secure.

At any rate, the stay was enjoyable. The restaurant in the lobby has some killer food and drinks. Its in a great location if you are into the nightlife that San Diego has to offer.

Be warned that although this is a great location, it is also close to downtown so you will experience more noise than you may be use to. Being from Vegas...im use to the noise.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank TaliaT
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Stayed 2 nights 5/10-12 for my husband's birthday. Very clean and convenient to the gaslamp area. I know others have complained of the outrageous $30 valet fee (no self parking), but there are other options if you don't mind a 2 block walk. This hotel is at the corner of 4th & K street and there is a garage at 6th & K where we paid $8 for Thurs night and $15 for Friday night. And that was with a Padres game at Petco on Friday night. Front desk staff was very pleasant and room was nicely decorated and clean. I highly recommend this property.

5  Thank JB222Chicago
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Thank goodness for discount booking sites! We enjoyed our overnight stay at the Hilton at a price tag of $100, but had we paid the full rate of $200+, we'd have been sorely disappointed. Valet parking is the only option, and at $30 per night, it's highway robbery. The room was pleasant but small (and the decor a little garish for my tastes, but your mileage may vary!). The desk staff was delightful, but housekeeping didn't seem to know we were checking out, so they knocked on our door while we were trying to sleep in. The faucet fell apart in my hands and the bathroom fan didn't work. There was no minibar, which we didn't mind, but there WERE two small bottles of water in the room.....at a cost of $5.00 each. Seriously, when you're paying $250 for a hotel room and parking, should you really have to get stiffed for bottled water too? If you stay here, understand that you're paying for the great location, not for a luxury hotel experience.

9  Thank LizardOC
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I loved thgis hotel! I got a really great rate, and enjoyed every second of staying here--EXCEPT the $30 valet parking. OUCH. Staff was very friendly. My room was awesome. Bed comfy. TV's could be updated though. Lobby bar closed early, and a mini bar in the room would have been nice. Location could not be better. I was going to Pads game, and the ballpark is right there. I loved the vibe of this place. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Danni0005
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We spent our anniversary weekend here. Our room was in the "hotel within the hotel" which is a separate wing of lofts (essentially a large suite with 14 foot ceilings and large windows). Our room was on a corner overlooking the intersection of K St and 5th Avenue, so there was always lots to see, especially since there were two Cinco De Mayo festivals going on right below us. With the windows closed the noise is minimal and the trains did not run at night.

The room was spacious and clean, the bed very comfortable. This hotel has won awards for architecture and design and is very modern, but blends well into the old-town charm of the "Gaslamp" area. Tons of excellent restaurants and nightclubs are within walking distance, as is Seaport Village and Horton Plaza for shopping. The Artesia Day Spa on-site was very good and my massage was adequate for stress-relief. Room service was fast and the food tasted great. As a Hilton Gold or Diamond member you get passes for a free full-buffet breakfast (including made-to-order omelettes). We will definitely be back for more sightseeing, great food and shopping, and another massage . An excellent (if somewhat pricey) choice.

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank lozaman
Reviewed May 5, 2007

This is one of the trendiest hilton hotels I've been to. I wish they made more of them like this. It's a gorgeously appointed hotel. The rooms are large, and the special wing of the hotel (I can't think of the name if it of hand) is really nice. We had a huge jacuzzi tub that looked out into the bedroom. It was very romantic. It's convienently located in the gaslamp district, although I'd recommend renting a car if I were you, since San Diego is a city that can't merely be traversed on foot. Service was good at this hotel, as well. I'd highly recommend it.

3  Thank brickbark