2,164 results
All reviewsconvention centergaslamp quartergreat locationloft roompetco parktrain tracksvalet parkinglight railgas lampwithin walking distanceper nightthe hard rock hoteldirectly across the streettwo blocksrestaurants and barstrolley stopfront desk staff
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We got a pretty amazing deal on Priceline for our double queen room of $89 + tax / fees for our one night stay, and were very pleased.

Check-in was a breeze, and the lobby of the hotel is quite elegant.

The room itself was very nice, but did smell a tiny bit of stale cigarette smoke, (however not enough for us to complain about.) Our room faced the back of the building - we could still hear the train, but it was not disruptive. The color scheme of the room / furniture was all very warm and inviting, the beds were very comfortable, and we heard nary a peep from other hotel guests which goes a long way towards happiness in my book.

Our only (minor) gripe is about the parking situation. The valet is $35 a day, which seems a bit high, and there didn't seem to be any other options but granted, we didn't try terribly hard to find alternate parking.

The hotel has a very nice bar / restaurant off of the lobby, and the bartender was excellent. The location of the hotel is wonderful, and within easy walking distance of all kinds of bars / restaurants. We had dinner down the street a few blocks at Cafe Sevilla which was lovely, albeit very loud.

In all, the Hilton Gaslamp would have been a bargain at twice the price. We would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kstenger
Reviewed November 22, 2009

The location of Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter cannot be beat. It's directly across from the San Diego Convention Center and there are 2 trolley stops within 1 minute walking.
The hotel boasts an earthtone atmosphere and welcomes guests with open arms.
There was a manager's reception with complimentary hos d'oeuvres and reduced adult drink specials. The manager's reception was on a Thursday night and I didn't see it any other night of the weekend but really wasn't looking for it.

I am upset with the Hilton brand of hotel because I had emailed Hilton through the HHonors desk and I received a response indicating that my concerns had been passed along to the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp management. Apparently, my email from corporate to office was never passed along to the hotel or the hotel management ignored my email. There are a few discrepancies on the website that I pointed out but apparently nobody cares.

There are 3 train tracks directly in front of the hotel. Upon check-in, I specifically requested that I would prefer a room not facing the tracks and I was reassured that I would not be able to hear the trains from room 528. The minute I opened the door to my guest room, I could hear the train. I tried to switch rooms but nothing else available. Well, that's fine, I can deal with the trains at all hours of the day and night.

I also requested that I not be placed any where near the ice machine/vending area. I was placed directly across the hall from the ice/vending area. I would close the door to the vending area daily and housekeeping would open it. The door was so loud that I finally left the door open. The hotel should invest in automatic door closers that GENTLY close the door to the vending area.

Housekeeping was great and prompt and the room was cleaned upon request.

There is no mini-bar in the guest rooms even though the website clearly indicates a mini-bar is present. The hotel guidebook placed in the room even explains how to operate the mini-bar but...there is no mini-bar. I, for one, have no problems paying the exorbitant prices for mini-bar drinks because when I am thirsty, I am going to drink.

The New Leaf restaurant has a wonderful breakfast buffet and patrons may order from the menu as well. The breakfast food is very good and reasonably priced. There are many many staff members working in the restaurant during breakfast. However, the night staff member, Michael, has to run the whole show by himself. Not only is he the bartender, he is also the server and the wait was 40 minutes from the time the steak was ordered until it was delivered.

The menu located outside The New Leaf restaurant indicates that a NY Strip steak is available...however... it's not. The hotel does not focus on details and that disturbs me. But, it's personal preference.

The hotel room was fine. The rooms are smaller but normal for California. The rooms are nicely appointed and lighting is VERY good for a hotel. The bed is comfortable but the pillows are simply awful. I am not sure why hotels think everyone wants super fluffy pillows?!? Hotels should invest in posturepedic pillows or make them available upon request.

The guest rooms feature what appears to be a 42 inch flat screen LCD television. The only drawback is the hotel does NOT offer ANY stations/channels in HD broadcast. I would prefer a normal TV with standard definition versus a LCD flat panel without HD.
The TV features typical hotel programming with one of those funny remotes that do everything except allow you to simply turn up the volume and/or change the channel.

The bathroom is nicely appointed and has automatic lights. The automatic light engages when the guest enters to the bathroom but stays on for 20 minutes and I find this wasteful. Shower pressure is fine. Crabtree and Evelyn products are available for your disposal.

All in all, this hotel is very nice and well appointed. Despite the minor flaws (that can easily be fixed) I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank deejal
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the Hilton Gaslamp for our anniversary. I'm HHonors Diamond and had requested a room upgrade on reservation. The hotel went above and beyond and graciously offered us a Junior Presidential Suite in the Lofts section of the hotel. It was perhaps the best room we've ever had. The hotel is very convenient to the Gaslamp Quarter, the breakfast buffet was very nice, the small pool area was great as well. Yes there is a train and the parking is pricey but other than that this was an exceptional stay.

1  Thank SCTraveler864
HiltonConcierge, Chief Concierge at Hilton Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2009

We are so glad that we could make your anniversary special and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!!!

Reviewed October 28, 2009

Hilton San Diego Gasslamp QUarter 3rd October 2009

We arrived in the port of San Diego after a 2 week cruise and as is the case with cruise lines, you are often off the ship before 9am. We had faxed the hotel several weeks prior to our arrival and asked if we could have an early check in for the above reason.

After a short $10 cab ride from the port, we arrived at the hotel around 9.15am. There were no bellmen outside, so we took our cases inside ourselves. The check in guy "Ricky" could not have been more friendly and helpful. We had booked our room on points and as we were Diamond Hilton Honors members, we were upgraded to a loft suite and were given comlimentary water and chocolate. Although again with no bellman, we got our own cases our room, perhaps the bellmen were on break.

Our room was very nice, modern, big bathroom, plenty of pillows and a really soft and comfortable bed. There was also a writing desk with free internet access, although "hi-speed" would not have been a correct description, but it was free.

In the lobby was an airline check in terminal. I used this to check in or uor flight the next day and although slow, it served it's purpose and eventually spat out our bording passes.

Our room had a large flat pannel tv with plenty of channels to choose from.

There was an easy chair and footstool. The footstool looked like it had coffee stains on it and also one of the "Clean" towels had brown stains, but I don't think that was coffee.

We decided that as we had the day to ourselves, that we would visit the San Diego Zoo, again that was only a short $12 cab ride away. We spend a great couple of hours there. The animals, including the Giant Panda's all seem so well looked after.

When we returned to the Hilton, bellmen were everywhere

The hotel is very central and right on the edge of the Gasslamp quarter which is packed with bars, nightclubs and restaurants. On the weekend it can get a bit rowdy. We ventured out and ate at one of the many Indian restaurants in the area, we had a couple of beers in one of the Irish bars and listened to a live band.

As Hilton Honors Diamond members, breakfast was free and we were given vouchers which even incuded gratuity, that was nice. The breakfast was a full buffet with hot and cold foods and an egg station were you could get eggs or an omelete to order. As much juice and coffee as you wanted, plenty of fruit, health drinks, etc. Full marks for the breakfast, the only minus was the serving staff talking and laughing at the tops of their voices whenever there were more that 2 of them together, I could not tell you what they were discussing as I do not speak Spannish, although they all found it very entertaining. This was very distracting when trying to enjoy a quiet breakfast and also made it difficult to get their attention for a coffee refil.

Across the road from the Hilton is a deli, where you can stock up on supplies from soda and beer to breads and salads. We bought a large fresh and very tasty tuna salad for just $6

The next day we called down to have our luggage collected and within 10 mins there was a bellman who took our luggage right to the taxi, ceckout was a breeze.

In conclusion our 24 hours at this Hilton were very enjoyable and we would reccomend staying there to anyone looking for an upmarket hotel in San Diego.

2  Thank MissJasmine

We appreciate the time you took to write about your experience with us and are happy that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2009

Stayed 2 nights, purchased through priceline.
We were pleased with pretty much everything. Short taxi ride from airport and cruise port. Perfect for gaslamp if thats your destination.
There are trains that go by, don't let that suprise you!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
HiltonConcierge, Chief Concierge at Hilton Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2009

Thank you for your nice comments! We hope you had a great cruise. Come back soon!