“Good hotel, housekeeping not tops”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #70 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Germany
“Good hotel, housekeeping not tops”
Reviewed February 24, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp for nearly 3 weeks while on a business trip. Overall, this was a good hotel. I was however disappointed by housekeeping. The second day of my trip, I dropped some cake crumbs on the carpet and they were still there when I left. It's not that they were somewhere hidden in a corner, but really in plain sight. The bathroom was always cleaned, but I didn't always get replacements for the towels that were taken away. The Fitness Center is a little bit small and generally crowded in the morning, but at least it's free. Only 3 treadmills! The location is great, the hotel is right at the edge of the Gaslamp Quarter and opposite the convention center. During large conventions, it tends to get really crowded and very noisy. There are huge gaps under the door, so ask for a corner room which is nowhere close to the elevator and less people walk by. If you are a light sleeper, be aware that the train tracks cross right in front of the hotel, and there are frequent cargo trains during the night, always honking (I never understood why they need to honk at 3am). Staff at reception was generally helpful. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank JulieMeyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Woodland, California
Reviewed December 19, 2005

I stayed here for a buisness trip. I saw the $5 bottle of water by the coffee maker. Never touched it due to the outrageous price. One month later a $5 charge appeared on my credit card. Hotel wouldn't change it. Nice looking place, but not very professional. Be careful...and be sure to check your credit card statement.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank Plantgirlmmm
, Chief Concierge at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, January 15, 2006
This guest's experience is clearly an isolated incident and is not indicative of our high service standards. If the guest would like to contact me directly at mdenton@hiltongaslamp.com, I would be happy to ensure that their account is credited for the bottle of water that they did not use.
Bucharest
Reviewed November 25, 2005

This is a very nice hotel situated in the heart of San Diego, minus the traffic and noise. I spent here 2 nights and I really enjoyed it. My room, at the 8th floor, was clean, large and well furnished. The bed was comfortable and the bedding first quality. I did not eat in the hotel, so I can't speak about the food, too many great choices near by. The staff was friendly and helpful. This is a very nice hotel and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
17 Thank Bibescu
UK
Reviewed October 31, 2005

Great position for exploring San Diego. We combined it with a stay in the Mission Bay area. Ignore the comments about not taking children - the hotel was very kid-friendly, concierges helpful etc.

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank helr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

After reading through all the reviews on this hotel, I was skeptical. My husband and I spent one night at the Hilton and wished we had stayed more!! The location cannot be beat - right next to all the action of the Gaslamp but far enough away to not be loud. We were there the weekend of the Padres and Chargers playing at home and had no problems with noise. My only slight complaint is that the concierge was less than helpful in finding great places to eat. Fortunately, we are adventurous and just wandered around until we found something - and we had tons of choices!!! I would definitely stay here again in the future!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My husband and I have traveled to San Diego many, many times and usually stay at the beach. We decided this time we would try something different. We found this hotel on priceline and only paid $100 a night for this hotel. It is tough to argue with the location or decor of this hotel. The area is great, the lobby is modern and elegant and the rooms are nicely appointed and very comfortable. We had a king room and found it was good sized and the bathroom was large. The only problem was that you could hear everything from the hallway in the room. It was so bad that the second night my husband shoved an extra blanket under the door so that the sound would be muffled a bit.

I was surprised to hear that others did not find the staff to be rude. I stood at the front desk for almost five minutes, alone, waiting to check-in while the staff talked between themselves. We were given a very nice room, and the bar tender was very nice when we went down for a drink in the evening. However, the next morning I went to the front desk looking for a newspaper and the man there told me to go across the street while an entire stack of newspapers sat next to him! I couldn't believe it. The whole feeling of the hotel is very snotty, and although the building is gorgeous, the people and service left a lot to be desired. For the price, given the San Diego market, it still is a good deal, but we did not have a very good feeling the time we were there.

• Stayed September 2005
18 Thank Vagabond23
East Coast
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My wife and I chose the Hilton because of its great downtown location for our recent trip to celebrate our first anniversary. It is close to many restaurants, shops and a short and very convenient drive to the famous San Diego zoo (a must see). The staff were always willing to help us with recommendations to quality dining in the Gaslamp District and always gave us an overview of things to see and do. An excellent choice is Lou and Micky's next door. We at first were reserved in a room in the tower on the executive floor (12th) but found ourselves upgraded to one of the rooms in the four story Enlcave. The rooms were very nicely decorated (ours had a balcony), quiet and you need a key to get into this section. My wife particulary loved the king size bed that was very comfortable and the large oversized bathroom. We would definitely return to the Hilton in Gas Lamp again.

• Stayed August 2005