“Great hotel in the heart of all the action!”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great hotel in the heart of all the action!”
Reviewed October 11, 2005

After reading through all the reviews on this hotel, I was skeptical. My husband and I spent one night at the Hilton and wished we had stayed more!! The location cannot be beat - right next to all the action of the Gaslamp but far enough away to not be loud. We were there the weekend of the Padres and Chargers playing at home and had no problems with noise. My only slight complaint is that the concierge was less than helpful in finding great places to eat. Fortunately, we are adventurous and just wandered around until we found something - and we had tons of choices!!! I would definitely stay here again in the future!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My husband and I have traveled to San Diego many, many times and usually stay at the beach. We decided this time we would try something different. We found this hotel on priceline and only paid $100 a night for this hotel. It is tough to argue with the location or decor of this hotel. The area is great, the lobby is modern and elegant and the rooms are nicely appointed and very comfortable. We had a king room and found it was good sized and the bathroom was large. The only problem was that you could hear everything from the hallway in the room. It was so bad that the second night my husband shoved an extra blanket under the door so that the sound would be muffled a bit.

I was surprised to hear that others did not find the staff to be rude. I stood at the front desk for almost five minutes, alone, waiting to check-in while the staff talked between themselves. We were given a very nice room, and the bar tender was very nice when we went down for a drink in the evening. However, the next morning I went to the front desk looking for a newspaper and the man there told me to go across the street while an entire stack of newspapers sat next to him! I couldn't believe it. The whole feeling of the hotel is very snotty, and although the building is gorgeous, the people and service left a lot to be desired. For the price, given the San Diego market, it still is a good deal, but we did not have a very good feeling the time we were there.

18 Thank Vagabond23
East Coast
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My wife and I chose the Hilton because of its great downtown location for our recent trip to celebrate our first anniversary. It is close to many restaurants, shops and a short and very convenient drive to the famous San Diego zoo (a must see). The staff were always willing to help us with recommendations to quality dining in the Gaslamp District and always gave us an overview of things to see and do. An excellent choice is Lou and Micky's next door. We at first were reserved in a room in the tower on the executive floor (12th) but found ourselves upgraded to one of the rooms in the four story Enlcave. The rooms were very nicely decorated (ours had a balcony), quiet and you need a key to get into this section. My wife particulary loved the king size bed that was very comfortable and the large oversized bathroom. We would definitely return to the Hilton in Gas Lamp again.

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank BusTrvlr
Pasadena, California
Reviewed September 10, 2005

I booked through Priceline; though I was excited when I was that this was the #3 hotel in San Diego, I was worried after I read the reviews from Summer 2005.

Well for $100 per night I figured it couldn't be that bad.... I was wrong, it was great! Every complaint that I read here was COMPLETELY unfounded. Let me go through the stuff and give you my VERY critical opinion.

1. Innovative design and helpful friendly service

2. Front desk was professional and responsive

3. Bar/lounge service was very cool... fireplaces, TV’s and couches... the bartender IS a joke... yes he sucked, the only bad part of the experience.

4. Security was all over, they even made sweeps through the halls

5. The halls are boring... and???

6. Everything in our room was impeccably clean, carpet, bathroom, windows... everything.

7. The bed was hands down, no fooling, the most comfortable I’ve ever had in a hotel room. Down pillow top mattress, down comforter, and 6... yes I said 6 down pillows. I'm telling you I cannot sleep in a cheap uncomfortable bed... this one was heaven. I have the perfect bed at home, I gotta tell you this one was better.

*Room service ends at 11pm... that's true. Good thing there is over 100 HUNDRED restaurants within walking distance.

* Everything was fresh and new... this thing was built in 2001!

* The restaurant was packed. The food is great. I waited 20 minutes from order to food, Saturday, during a convention.

* When I was there the hotel WAS busy... it's across the street from the convention center I'm thinking this hotel is busy all the time.

*Not a resort enviroment, think industrial/urban chic.

*This is NOT, NOT, NOT a kid’s hotel… nothing about the gas lamp district is for kids really… Stay in Mission Bay, somewhere adjacent to Sea World if you want kiddyland… What do clubs, bars and high end restaurants have to do with children anyway?

DOWNTOWN FINANCIAL/CONVENTION DICTRICT = ADULT
----> Please parents, let's keep it that way.

Would I pay $200 - $300 for this room???
Hmmm… now THAT is a good question :>)

20 Thank H0WL_CAT
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Loved the location of this hotel, steps from the dining and nightlife options of the Gaslamp district. Hotel was on the smaller side (a plus), and had an intimate feel. As others have mentioned, parking fees sting, at $24 a day, plus tips. Bedding was extremely comfortable, but rooms were a little on the small side (we had a queen, not king room). You could hear every breath on the other side of the door to the room, which given the hotel's proximity to bars, meant several middle of the night awakenings by drunk guests.

We stayed at the hotel with our toddler, and though we had called to specifically request a crib, the front desk had no record of our request, and was out of cribs. It took well over an hour for them to track down a crib for us, and in the meantime we had a very crabby baby. We got our reservation for this hotel through Priceline ($102 a night over Labor Day weekend), which was a steal. I would return for the location alone.

12 Thank maroulni
Reviewed August 24, 2005

The staff was very friendly!!

They gave us directions to various places and beaches. There are tons of resturants within walking distance.

We didn't get a nice view but the rooms were clean.

There is a overnight parking fee.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I have stayed in this hotel many times in the past and have followed it on trip advisor because I enjoyed it so much. However, the last few times I felt and saw a notable change. When I asked a staff member, I was told the hotel had been sold in the last year and the new owner had brought in a new management company and the management staff who had driven the quality of the hotel have all left.
What a shame!!. You would think, eventually these hotel companys would understand that the paying public will put in a few extra dollars to keep the amenities up to par, and that the overall profit will come from loyal customers coming back, not having first time guests come and go to never return.

Stayed July 2005