“Can't wait to go back!”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #72 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed March 27, 2005

Other reviewers have pretty much said it all. We stayed for three nights in February and loved it. The staff are exceptionally helful, courteous and knowledgable. Our room was immaculate with a great view. The pool was heated just right and the large king size chaises were to die for. Top it all off with the super location and no less than 75 restaurants you can walk to and the Horton plaza, Seaport Village and the ferry to Coronado and you have all the makings of a wonderful holiday or business trip.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank Brown-2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed March 26, 2005

The room was OK, nothing special, but very clean and nicely decorated in a minimalist style with muted neutral colors.

However, it had problems: One of the rods used to open and close the curtains broke off in my hand; a sizeable metal wall panel (about 4-foot high by 1.5 foot wide) covering some electrical outlets in the wall was held up by a floor lamp and fell on the floor when the lamp was moved.

I stayed for two nights. On day two, the maid apparently came in while I was out, threw some clean towels on the unmade bed, and left the room untouched: didn't make the bed, didn't take away the soiled towels on the floor in the bathroom, didn't empty the brimming trash can, didn't re-stock the coffee supplies - in short, didn't do a gosh-darned thing. I was really surprised - I called down to the front desk and had the situation remedied, but no one was the least bit apologetic. That night, the room service pizza tasted like Ragu on toast. Finally, when I left the hotel, the $24-a-day valet stood by while I trundled my bags into the trunk of my car.

I've never had (non)service like this at any hotel in my life - not even as a starving student when the best I could afford was a Motel 6. I'm not a demanding guest and didn't spend much time in the room, so I can't fathom why I had such a bad experience. I just know I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
20 Thank TrueConfessions
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 26, 2005

This location is superb and the rooms are up to Hilton's standards. This hotel really excels in its staff who were inordinately helpful in everyway. Willing to hold bags until a room was open, freed electronic devices from plastic containers, and ice cream at 3:00am, all with enthusiasm. I'd definitely go again and you can walk to a terrific coffeeshop and chocolate parlour in minutes.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Indiegoddess
Reviewed March 1, 2005

I have just got back from a two night trip to San Diego and was booked in at the Hilton Gaslamp.When i arrived direct from the airport having come in from the UK via New York i was told that because of the heavy rain they had in the last few days some of the rooms were out of action.
How rain could have put some of the rooms aout of action i have no idea!
I was told they could not put me up that night but had booked me into the Marriott which was just around the corner.
The Marriott was fantastic.
I went back to the Hilton the next morning as arranged and left my bag as i had to go off to a meeting.
Arriving back later was given my room and was told they had upgraded me to a one bed suite. The room was nice and roomy but the decor looked a little "tired". The staff were helpful and apologetic about the problems. Would i stay again: great location and ok rooms ( ok i was spoilt at the Marriott) better than may an hotel in San Diego and would stay again

5 Thank simonharris
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

2 Whilpool baths per day. perfect night sleep every night even down town. The enclave on the 4th floor was something that i wish my father could see me in. The dacor reminds me of his generations idea of the good life. That rat pack generation of lighting and beautiful sharp cornered furniture. I had to have a martini in the room. The bathroom was just the perfect size for 2 people to use perfectly. It is as if you had another hotel room just in the bathroom. I can tell you that the few dollars that you spend there is made up in service, service service. I wish that they would clear out the fridge with their beers and let us decide what we need for food and drinks. We still ordered room service and we still drank their water but we had no room for our cheese and crackers and wine that we bought around the area's stores.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed January 16, 2005

We stayed at the Gaslamp Hilton for a couple days after Christmas (12/29-12/31/2004)

We chose a room in the Enclave based on reviews I read here. We didn't get the jacuzzi tub which I thought they all came with and while it wasn't anything spectacular it was very large and the high ceiling made it seem larger. I am a person who happens to like Hilton hotels because they are consistent in providing all the necessities and little things like mouthwash, lots of towels, clean bathrooms and comfortable beds go a long way to making me happy. I thought the terry cloth robes were a nice extra too.

The real beauty of this hotel though is it's location. We parked our car on Wed when we checked in and didn't drive it again until Friday when we checked out. We walked and took the trolley everywhere we went during our stay.

We did end up eating breakfast at the Hilton one morning, because for all the Gaslamp district's charm it is very lacking in good places to have breakfast. We walked to one restaurant and after finding out it was a 45 min wait walked back to the Hilton and had the breakfast buffet. It wasn't spectacular but it worked.

We paid extra to be in the enclave and I don't know if it was worth the extra money, but my husband loved it. He especially liked the high ceiling in the room.

We plan to go back this summer and attend a baseball game. You can walk to Petco park from the Gaslamp.

Pros: Location, clean room, comfortable bed, good service, nice staff
Cons: Can't really think of any.

10 Thank YLMom
Amish Country
Reviewed January 4, 2005

Stayed here between Christmas and New Year's in a (corner) 10th floor Executive Suite with whirlpool tub. Very comfortable bed. Zoned heating. Very unique Hilton with European boutique atmosphere and decor. Classy, expensive furnishings. Extremely comfortable bed. No street sounds. No sounds from other rooms. Free Internet and printers. Super friendly staff. Very professional and helpful concierge (give her a "10" for service). 5-star steakhouse across the street (Flemings). Wife loved security feature on elevators (they won't run unless you insert your room card). Big screen TV and fireplace adjacent to lounge. New Leaf restaurant was small, uncrowded, with an unimpressive menu. Skip it. But it doesn't matter because you're in the heart of the Gaslamp restaurant district. Valet parking very efficient, but next trip I'll use a public parking garage one block away next to the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. PJ's coffee shop also does breakfast sandwiches. Full service salon. Also recommend Lou & Mickey's steaks and seafood (not owned by Hilton, but in the same complex). Room rates fluctuate; you can get a great deal if you check Internet frequently. Wife stays free with HHonors program. Bottom Line: Do yourself a favor. This is the place to stay in San Diego!

12 Thank Jake2U