“I am not complaining but...”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #69 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Philippines
“I am not complaining but...”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This is not a gripe but I have 4 issues with regards to my stay. First I booked thru Hotwire and I got a ridiculously low rate which is really great for me but for the first time i felt like a second class guest here. Why? First, the room they gave us was nice at first glance but upon closer scrutiny there were minor problems like the shower head was defective, the toilet had a leak, and the knob in one of the lampshades was missing. Second the location was right in front of the tracks so if you are a light sleeper then better bring some earplugs. Third we stayed for 6 days and upon checking in I requested for a fridge since I had my family with me. They told me that they will bring it to my room as soon as it becomes available. It never came although the rooms next to us received theirs even if I came earlier. I know what I am talking about because I saw the refrigerators out side the rooms near us. Lastly there were 3 occassions that I had to call the cleaning ladies attention with regards to our daily supply of toiletries which she forgot. I have been using Hotwire for the past couple of years and never has this happened to me. I was always treated as if I was a regular paying guest. Anyway as I've said, this is not a complaint just an observation. If someone asks me if I would like to stay again at the Hilton Gaslamp I would definitely say yes. The location is fantastic, the front desk staff were friendly, and the ambiance was terrific. I've stayed in 4-5 stars hotel in San Diego since 2003 and I have to admit this is the best. The issues I raised did not really bother us for we were always out enjoying San Diego. Lastly, will I still patronize Hotwire? You bet I will. I hope this becomes a wake up call for both Hotwire and the Hilton.

1 Thank rdcjMD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aldie, Virginia
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Cleanliness: overall, pretty good. coffee cups were either used or coffee machine had leaked excess coffee into the mugs (which were underneath the spout of the coffeemaker per machine design). Also, the bathroom had a few suspect hairs near the sink. But, overall, perfectly clean. Bedding was very fresh and clean.

Location: great spot! right at the edge of the gaslamp and marina districts, steps from petco park and the convention center. restaurants in the area are all really pricey, so be prepared to shell out $50 for a decent dinner for two. a good bet is the tin fish, if you like an outdoor, backyard party type atmosphere. steps from the trolley, a few blocks from the Horton plaza shopping center. lots of bars in the area if you like to go out drinking.

rooms: very comfortable king sized bed. bathroom was rather small compared to the room's overall size, but it was just fine... a good, basic, bathroom. our room faced the street so it was a bit noisy just before and after the Padres games, but it wasn't bad at all. if you are a light sleeper, a basic pair of earplugs would take care of any street noise. i suppose you could here the baseball games or the train/trolley coming and going if your room was on the backside of the hotel, but again, the earplugs would do the trick. great people watching from street-side rooms.

service: no complaints. upon arrival, when i discovered the dirty coffee cups, i called housekeeping and two clean ones were brought right up. though the mandatory valet parking was a bummer, the valet staff were helpful and friendly. they went to our car and fished out our jackets for us in a jiffy.

value: we booked on priceline and got the room for about $100 a night, so i'd say it was a pretty good value. no free breakfast or anything, and the valet parking price was horrible ($32 a night, with no self park options), but virtually all the hotels in that area charge about $30 a night for valet parking, and there are no self-park lots we could find that would let you leave your car overnight.

other: fitness room was quite pleasant and well-equipped. pool was small but nice, and the deck chairs around the pool were lovely and very pleasant for watching the train/people come and go. very pleasant paved walking path right behind the hotel that goes for a few miles, i think. great jogging/strolling! also, the lobby of the hotel and outside patios/courtyards were very pretty and soothing. spa on site as well as a nice looking restaurant... didn't eat there, but the smells coming from it seemed pretty good! the hotel did have a business center, but you had to pay for internet access, which seemed like a crime to me at such a nice place.

i would recommend this hotel for a nice weekend getaway in the gaslamp. oh, and easy freeway access, too.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My wife set this up using Priceline. The problem was that we didn’t know the hotel, and therefore the rules, until we had committed full room payment. We then discovered a valet only parking with a fee of $32 per day. A few months ago we were at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront and they had self parking for $20. We had the choice of parking a number of blocks away and paying for every re-entry, so there wasn’t an acceptable option. Because of this issue I say minus points to both the hotel and Priceline. Enough said about this issue.
Overall, the experience was good when excluding the parking requirement. The internet connection was free contrary to published reviews. It was a little slow and a Hilton page kept popping up when attempting to go to Google.com. The front desk staff & valet staffs were very nice and helpful. It was easy drives to the locations we wanted to visit. This Hilton was better located to explore the Gaslight District, so walking was not a problem. This was in contrast to the Hilton Bayfront, newer, that required traversing through the Convention Center at night with what seemed to be questionable people hanging out.
The room was nice. It had a good flat panel TV but running in analogue. One TV movie costs $14 rental and could have been found for 99c at the Redbox rental. The view was very nice and I plan to post photos taken from our windows. The Commuter Trains ran directly outside and presented little more noise that the SF Cable Cars. The worst noise came when a Truck was blocking the tracks and one of the Red Cars repeatedly released the attack of his horn for what seemed to be a very long time. The bathroom was small, one sink, and not much light. It was a one person at a time room. The bath/shower was a little slippery and there was no rubber bath tub matt to be found.
The bottom line is that we would be willing to stay there again if it were not for the mandatory valet parking. We will likely look elsewhere for our next trip to this area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I was in san Deigo this past week tagging along on my husbands convention. The convention and original reservations we had were for the new Hilton Bayfront. A month or so ago, after reading reviews of the Bayfront, I suggested we move to the Hilton Gas lamp. With the corporate rate from Bayfront, we could even 'upgrade' to the Lofts on 5th and still be saving money. The location seemed better for dinneres at night and overall, just more positive. SO HAPPY WE MOVED!
My husband checked in day before me and we were upgraded from a Loft balcony room to a whirlpool room. These are almost 800 feet of luxury...two large windows that overlooked the top of the Gaslamp and the 'hopping' Hard Rock across the street. Comfy bed, lovely linens, flatscreen tv. The shower was wonderful and I actually did get to enjoy the whirlpool tub after a long trip from the east coast!
The location could not be better. We could easily walk to tons of resturants, the mass transit system, convention center and various tour company pickups. The walk to the Bayfront was not far but so happy after a night of eating and drinking, we did not have to make that walk. Friends staying there said the rooms were clean but SMALL and the location is a bit off the beaten path.
We experienced no problems...saw people enjoying the lovely pool.. and had a fantastic stay! Will absolutely recommend this hotel for the location primarily but the Lofts are a special treat!
*I will address the train noise that I read about...yes, there are train tracks and yes, you can hear the train..but you can hear the train just about anywhere within a 1 mile radius of
whereever it is! it is LOUD..Even when walking near the Marriott Marina hotel area, it was loud. I heard it once the first afternoon and once one evening later and other than that - was quiet.

2 Thank tber
Sandlapper Resort
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Great hotel except the 3:30am train that blows the horns ridiculously loud. i know the area can't be that packed with people at that time of day. there is no reason for that many horn blows.
I got upgraded to one of the loft suites and it is one of the best rooms i've ever been in. i did stay for the entire month of January 2009. $7k hotel bill. $32/day parking seems a bit high. if you don't tip the bell boys, you don't get your items you ordered online and/or laundry, you have to go to the front desk to get them even after they say they will get someone to bring it up to you.The food was above average. location is good if you aren't going to stay extended periods, that train affected my sleep which affected my work. I will not stay at this hotel again for business longer than a couple days because of the train.
The hotel is in a fantastic location for the GasLamp Quarter. it's with in close walking distance of everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Prius2005
Reviewed April 19, 2009

If you don't get Ricky at the front desk, then you are SOL for good service from them. We had many issues with the front desk service and housekeeping, although we had an excellent maid. When I asked the front desk for directions/recommendations, she looked nervous and told me to wait until the concierge arrived the next morning. I realize that it's not her job, but still... Also, my son and I were both really sick during our stay, and what bothered me was that neither the front desk attendant or valet could direct us to a hospital ER. I would try the Hilton Bayside across the street - looks newer. We spent our final night at the Hard Rock Hotel across the street - now, that place has good service!

Las Vegas
Reviewed April 15, 2009

The night before our trip to San Diego we did not know where we were going to stay. One of the reviews we read on Trip Advisor said they got a great deal on Priceline. We had never used Priceline and decided to give it a shot. We bid $75 and got the Hilton. We couldn't believe the value as many of the 4-star hotels in the Gaslamp were $200 plus!

The hotel has a beautiful lobby, great rooms with views and an excellent location near many restaurants and shops. The only negative is the $32 daily valet parking fee. There is no option to self-park. The good news is there is a parking garage only one and a half blocks away for $20 per day.

While in San Diego make sure you take a tour of the USS Midway aircraft carrier. We also went to the Wild Animal Park and spent a day on Coronado Beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family