“Great Stay”

Ranked #73 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Mesa, AZ
“Great Stay”
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We had a great stay at the Hilton. This hotel had everything to keep us comfortable. Great beds, very helpful staff, great pool and good location. Our only complaint is very expensive parking. $32 a day.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel about a month ago when visiting San Diego for it's Street Scene music festival. My friend and I were able to book a Saturday night at the Hilton for $99 + tax via priceline.com, which was a steal compared to their normal rates. The hotel was right in the heart of the gaslamp district, walking distance from the convention center. Front desk staff was very helpful, and the beds were very comfortable. Valet parking is a high-priced $32/night, but I was able to find street parking for free as they stop enforcing the meters at 6pm and don't enforce on Sundays. At worst, there is a garage two blocks down at 6th & K that charges around $16/day, so try to use that if you can.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank veeRob
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I just returned from San Diego, and we had a wonderful stay at the Gaslamp Hilton. The hotel is modern and clean, the hotel staff was friendly and attentive, and the location of the hotel is ideal for people looking for a weekend of dining and nightlife. I booked my room through hotwire for about half the price. It's always a risk using hotwire, but I love when it works out.

One thing about the San Diego nightlife in general...there were too many dress codes. My boyfriend and I are young professionals from Chicago and wanted to have nice meals and wine/cocktails in our flipflops...unlike Chicago that's not really an option here...so we ended up in the Hilton hotel bar! :-)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small double beds... Fulls not queens
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kbeyedoc
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2008

The Hilton Gaslamp is as suggested in the Gaslamp quarter which holds many restaurants, bars and clubs so is very convenient for nightlife.
The hotel itself is a fairly modern building in two parts which are interconnected, we were in one of their loft suites. These suites are a little overrated as they are quite small with just one room plus bathroom not what one expects from a suite which normally have at least one extra room as well as the bedrooom. Ours was also a little cramped. However everything worked and the staff were pleasant and helpful.
There is small pool at one side of the main building, I cannot report further on this as I am not a "pool person" but it looked pleasant and uncrowded.
Service in the bar was a little hit and miss, if you were sitting where the waitress could not see you it may take a while to get served!
Breakfast was the usual American buffet affair with plenty of choice and the option of freshly cooked eggs in any style.
Altogether a pleasant if unspectacular stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room was a little small
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnSwansea_U_K_
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2008

We enjoyed the Hilton Gaslamp district. We visited this place after our honeymoon and thought that it was reasonable and relatively cheap. I used Priceline and bid on 4 star hotels downtown and got this gem of a place. It's right next to Petco Park, within 1/2 block of the Gaslamp district, and driving distance from Coronado island and all the beaches. Rooms were modern and to be honest, it was one of the best hotel I've stayed with and I always stay at Marriott's, Hilton's, or Hyatt's when I travel for pleasure or work. Ultra clean and even though your near gaslamp area, you can sleep and not worry about being bothered. Great hotel if you can find the right deal ($$$).

• Liked — Modern, clean, convenient, and feels like a luxury hotel
  • Disliked — No public parking without a valet nearby.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoTrips
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We took a quick weekend trip to San Diego and got the Hilton with a $94/night bid on priceline. Including tax and fees it came out to $113 a night, which was a great deal for the location and the quality of the room. There is only valet parking at the hotel and it's $32/night so we parked at a lot 2 blocks away on 4th and K Street and that came out to $17/night so basically there isn't a very cheap alternative when it comes to parking in the area.

The location was great. There are a ton of restaurants and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter and a ton of nightlife so if that's what you're looking for it's only steps away from a ton of action. It's also only a few miles away from Sea World, Coronado Island, and the Zoo. If you're there for a baseball game it's also very convenient being only a couple blocks from Petco Park.

The room itself is just what you'd expect from a Hilton. The hotel is very modern and it has a smaller more boutique hotel type of feel to it than a lot of other Hiltons, though. I think it was built in 2000 so the look and feel is sleek and new. My only complaints were that the tv was a smaller tube tv, the remote control didn't work, and noise from the hallway was seemingly amplified into the room.

There are train tracks right next to the hotel that didn't cause us any noise issues and when we were outside the train passed and it was pretty quiet. The warning bells at the railroad crossing were a bit louder and might be heard if you're on that corner of the hotel.

All in all, it was just what we've come to expect from a Hilton and we'd enjoy staying here again, especially at the Priceline rate.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichaelRinck
dallas
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We got this hotel by bidding with priceline. We got it for 60% off rack rate. Since I knew t hat downtown hotels are notorious for outrageous parking fee, I considered this when making my bid. First time using priceline and was happy that I got the hilton.
We traveled with 2 young toddlers so convenience, pool, and nonsmoking are our priorities.
After reading a bad review that the front desk treated guest who booked thru priceline badly, I was worried. However, my husband checked in and all went smoothly. I did call after I booked the hotel to request for 2 double and a mini fridge. But, there was no fridge when we got to our rooms. It took 2 phone calls and the finally sent the fridge (around 9pm). Keep in mind, that this is suppose to be a 4 star hotel. When we stayed at the Hyatt, they sent the fridge as soon as we stepped in our rooms. The good thing is that all rooms are nonsmoking. We got double bed with city view. The beds were very comfortable with 6 fluffy pillows. Queen beds would be better since it is a 4 star hotel. The decor were trendy with steel lamps and wood armoire. The bathroom had granite countertop and double sink. It was kind of small in my opinion There is a small outdoor pool on the roof of the second floor terrace as well as a fitness room.
The nice touch was a bowl of granny smith apples at the front desk and complimentary sunday newspaper.
The location of the hotel was convenient since it is around the corner to 5th avenue in gaslamp quarater. There is a starbuck on the corner, ralphs supermarket and albertsons on market st. Try pinkberry yogurt just around the corner. The hotel is also a short drive (5min) to balboa park and 10 minutes to seaworld and coronado island and in and out burger. La jolla beach was less than 20 minutes away.
We did hear the train at night and it did get annoying. But on saturday night, there was no train noise. So, if you are a light sleeper, beware.
The really negative is that this hotel is valet parking only: $32 for over night with in/out privileges.The sign says $8 for valet so even if you don't park overnight there still a fee? When we arrived, the valet fellow asked us if we plan to park overnight and it would be charged to your room. It can really add up if you are paying the rack rate. You can park in public parking a block away for $20. But, since we had young kids and a rental car that is not insured, we did not want the hassle.
In summary, I would not pay full rate for this 4 star unless I was traveling withou kids and my priority was gaslamp area. The valet only parking fee is pricey compared to other locations. There was no special turndown service or any speical amenities to justify the price. I have stayed at hyatt in tampa for less and they had better service, shuttle, and optional valet. But maybe its just san diego and because it is downtown. I understand that parking fees are the norm but $32 is outrageous. I mean you still have to tip each time they bring your car around.

Stayed September 2008