“Great stay!”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #73 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Great location in Gaslamp district of San Diego. Staff was extremely helpful. Because my room was not ready when I arrived after 3:00 PM, I was given a $20 credit to use in the dining room or to apply to my bill. Very pleasant and accommodating staff....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (2,028)

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Overall -- Great location across from the convention center but the bathtub could be cleaner. The light bulb was out in one of the lamps. More attention to detail. Internet should be offered free of charge especially for all HHonors customers. Staff was cordial but no one really went out of their way to accommodate customers. The breakfast bar is a bit pricey. Need to consider a lower cost.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
mctigup, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Gaslamp. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly take it to heart to ensure future guests have a more positive experience.

Thank you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I should start out by saying this: I hate to be nickled and dimed. I'm fine paying for upgrades and 5 star places and even ridiculously overpriced popcorn at the movie theater, but I hate it when I am ambushed into paying for things. Like what you ask? Parking fees will piss me off every time. The same goes for "facility use" fees and extra charges for room service on top of a crazy high tip that's automatically added in and this place has all of those things. I think I can chalk it up to the fact that this place is mainly business travel oriented and so the folks coming and going don't bother fighting the silly expenses because it's not on their dime. Still...don't say I didn't warn you when you see the mandatory valet at $40+ per night.

Having said that, when I checked in and my reservation couldn't be found (thank you to Southwest's "Jackpot" Deals, which aren't) the front desk staff were awesome and really helpful. Checked me in without batting an eye or charging anything extra. They were helpful, personable and capable - loved that. Everyone I ran into at this place was pretty great and mostly helpful with a nice attitude, right down to the probably underpaid valet who was forced to face people pissed off at the outrageous charge every time a car pulled up. Would I prefer to give the $40 to that guy? Absolutely.

Still, decent place, very convenient to the convention center, very clean and nice staff.

2  Thank ParadiseAdvice
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Great place to stay, but request a room on the opposite side of the property away from the tracks. The trains run all night and are extremely loud. If you are staying in the GasLamp Quarter, it is a very convenient place to stay, with walking access to the downtown restaurants and bars. It is also close to the trolly line with access to the maritime museum and Old Town San Diego.

1  Thank William P
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Typical of any pet friendly hotel, it had a hint of urine aroma. Especially in the hallways. The website is misleading as to what is included and what is an additional charge. Location is close to Gas Lamp and Convention Center. Many homeless people hangout in front near the jogging trail. TV channels are limited to the basics. I guess if you travel a lot, and have the "honors" card, you're taken care of a little better. If you travel occasionally, you get penalized. Much like the airlines.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have not actually stayed there but my girlfriend he was from out-of-town is staying there tonight. Let me just say that the concierge absolutely delivered the highest quality service imaginable. I was literally floored at the concierge's willingness to cater to my every need. Doing things that were so unexpected that I didn't even think to ask of, he just asked me if it was okay if he did that.
The concierge went way out of his way to deliver a birthday gift for my girlfriend who was staying there for me. Bravo, great job, you guys are the best. Thank you so much for making my girlfriends birthday a very memorable one. And making me look like a knight in shining armor.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just a one night stay, in town for a wedding, but was startled by the great atmosphere of the gas lamp quarter in San Diego and this hotel had very good accommodations at a very good price for a hotel in a major US city.

I have no complaints about this place at all, and would suggest that if you're looking for a decent rate and a location near the gas lamp quarter this would make a fine selection. It was a large hotel, and we were only there for one night, so we didn't really get a chance to explore, but I walked around it once before check out in the morning and it seemed to be tied to a couple of restaurants and was an easy walk into the energetic gas lamp quarter. I think it's at the end of one of the rows, possibly the Hard Rock hotel was right 'behind' it. I liked staring at that convention center across the way...a good looking place IMO.

I would stay here again if I didn't have time to explore some other options. I would love to explore this city a bit, but for my only night in town, we made a good choice picking this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends