“nice but noisy”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #71 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The train nearby is noisy and I can hear the train go by. This kept me up all night. Valet Parking is too high and self parking is too far from the hotel. Otherwise the rooms are clean and the staff are very nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Jun G
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We loved the hilton gaslamp. Perfect location, and very friendly front desk staff. Any time again! You can reach everything in walking distance. Great nightlife and you can watch the sunset down at the Sea in just a couple of minutes. Coffee Bean & Tea leaf coffee in the room :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Sadly only stayed for 1 night wish it was more,We arrived by train at Santa Fe station and hopped on a "peddacab" not sure where the hotel was but could have walked it in 10-15 mins.
It is right at the start of the gaslamp quarter, opposite the convention centre, the Hard Rock Hotel and the baseball ground. Seaport and USS Medway are within 15-20 mins walk. There are numerous bars and restaurants in walking distance.
The check in was very easy and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
We enjoyed sitting in the outside bar having a drink by the gas fire pit watching the world go by, we didn't try the restaurant or breakfast because of the great choice on your doorstep.
Our room on the 8th floor had a great city view and was comfortable and spacious.
We must point out that we saw many homeless people on the streets and some indeed around the hotel which is always sad but in no way are they a threat and not intrusive. We wouldn't hesitate in using this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Each summer I travel to San Diego to attend an International conference at the San Diego Convention Center(SDCC). Each year for the last 3 or 4 years I have decided to stay just across the street from the SDCC and have stayed each time at the Hilton Gaslamp (there are multiple Hilton hotels near the SDCC of which I have stayed only at the Gaslamp Hilton). I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the SDCC combined with its amenities.

The hotel is ideally located if you want to save the need for a rental car and the burden ofhaving to park it. I can walk to the SDCC in 5 minutes - it is across the street (Harbor Drive). Just outside the hotel doors is a nice taxi stand, a green area where people walk their dogs, and walkways that are part of a nice downtown park and open area planned system. To the right of the taxi stand, and across the street is a very good steakhouse on one side of the intersection and a deli on the other. The deli makes what I think might be the best BLT ever! You must try it out if you like a BLT. The deli offers much more and all at a good value - the deli could not be any easier to get to. On the other side of the hotel is the main drag of the Gaslamp District; the Gaslamp is the epicenter of all I could want to do when I want to stop working and enjoy some of San Diego, shopping, restaurants of all prices and scales, clubs, attractions and much more. Of course that taxi stand is handy for attractions that are farther than you might care to walk. Also, between the hotel and the SDCC is the San Diego rail line with an easy to access rail stop. Just a couple of blocks south of the hotel is Petco Park where you can catch a Padres baseball game.

The hotel itself is, in my opinion, nicely designed and quite comfortable. For time outside of your room there is a ground level fire pit and sitting area where friends and I have enjoyed drinks from the bar and a cigar. The other side ot the hotel has a well designed private patio that is quite large - it is really a several thousand square feet area between two of the hotel's buildings and is nicely outfitted with outdoor furniture where several groups of friends can gather and hang-out. The pool area is small but just right for the hotel - I don't like huge hotels with massive pools and hundreds of guests; this pool usually has no one to maybe 20 people out there. There is a separate whirlpool also which is heated. Back inside the hotel is a pretty comfortable lobby that offers a few sitting areas that surround a fireplace and offer views out onto the green area. The restaurant is bigger than you might first think, is staffed by folks who took very good care of me and where I suggest the fish tacos!'

My rooms have always been comfortable and well appointed. There is plenty of room for 1 person or for 2; I have never stayed with a 3rd person or more. Important to me are comfortable beds and they have them, comfortable and dressed with good quality linens. No room is always going to be perfect but I have had really good experiences here and on those few occasions when I needed something I was impressed how quickly the hotel staff was able to respond.

This hotel often sells out so it must be of interest to other folks as well; I always make sure to get my reservation early. I am a Hilton Honors member and they seem to know me and have my information at hand when I arrive. I will be back there this coming July and am looking forward to it.

I think the per night rate is comparable to other properties in the area but the size of this hotel and its design make it, for me, a better choice.

I have never tried any spa services so cannot comment on that, I am not even sure if they offer those. Nor have I had breakfast here so I don't have an experience to offer there either.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north or west side might be somewhat noisy given the rail line but the hotel offers ear...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

This is the first time we have stayed here, due to other hotels being full, so we gave it a try. Like a number of other hotels, parking is a costly addition to the bill. However, the convenience of the location to the gaslamp restaurants makes it all worthwhile

I had a great room overlooking the front. Although the room was provided with earbuds on the bedside table, which was initially disconcerning, but these were never needed. Attentive staff and clean rooms.

In summary, good hotel, and didnt disappoint. Would book again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2014

As soon as we checked in the receptionist was very kind and helpful. We were new to that area and she provided us with a map and her opinion of the best places around the hotel. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The hotel was also in a great location. We were able to walk to the bars and restaurants there. Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This hotel was very nice, clean and large room. It is very noisy as other posts have mentioned.
However, parking is $41 per day for valet, and that is the only option! This should be mentioned on the websites when booking as that is a very large added cost to your stay.
Would not stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple