“Good Gaslamp hotel”

Ranked #74 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Arlington, Virginia
“Good Gaslamp hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference and although I've stayed in several different downtown SD hotels, this was my first time at this one and so close to the water which is the biggest plus of this hotel and its convenient location to the Convention Center. The water is a short distance from the hotel and I was able to run along the ocean several times during my stay here. The convention center is also just across the street and the many restaurants in the Gaslamp are a short walk making this location conveniently located. My room was comfortable, clean and spacious with a large desk for work and a chair for relaxing. The hotel offers free water and coffee in the lobby which was a nice convenience as you head out during the morning and throughout the day. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but the lobby lounge area seemed very comfortable. I used the hotel gym once while there and it was a good size. I did a workout on my own so I didn't use any of the cardio machines to give a rating on those. The hotel offered wi-fi for a charge, unfortunately. Overall if you need to be at the convention center I'd definitely recommend it for its convenience and value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton in Gaslamp Quarters many times and always leave extremely satisfied with my stay! It is very conveniently located in Gaslamp Quarters, where everything is a very short walk away. The valet parking, although a little pricy, is worth it considering you don’t have to worry about parking your vehicle elsewhere. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The quality of the hotel and the room is always superb and the beds are amazing! Some of the best sleep I have is at the Hilton! No complaints what so ever! I absolutely love the Hilton, especially the one in Gaslamp Quarters!

Room Tip: Although the $40 valet is ridiculous, It is far more safer and convenient then any other lot in Gasl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lewisville, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in the Lofts on 5th - a separate section of the San Diego Hilton at Gaslamp District. Right on 5th Avenue - where all the restaurants, bars, etc are located. We walked everywhere or used the convenient train (called the trolley) to get around town - right out front of the hotel. The Old Town Trolley (actually a trolley bus) was used for a tour of the city and we used it one day to get around. But most everything we did and wanted to see was within walking distance - we did not need a car.
The hotel room was very large - like an apartment - with separate living area. Huge bathroom with an 8 foot sink - lots of room to put your stuff on. The windows looked out on 5th Avenue. You will probably need a noise muffler (we use the Sound Machine when we travel) as the Hard Rock is right across the street and with it and the street commotion it can be a little loud at night. Once we had our Sleep Machine on though, you couldn't hear anything outside! Comfy bed, very clean room - we were very happy staying here. Can't say I liked the décor - but everything was comfortable and clean and in good shape - so that is a very small quibble.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
san diego, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

For the luxury and price of the hotel I was surprised to see that I had to pay for internet in my room. Every hotel has it for free .. that was off putting. And since im a hotel guest I was surprised I had to pay for parking as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

mctigup, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Bella C,

Thank you for your review. As full service urban hotels often charge for internet and parking fees, our valet work to ensure you have your vehicle timely so that you can explore all that San Diego has to offer! We trust you had an excellent service experience and hope to see you back on your next trip!
McLean, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room was a little steep, but it was very nice. It had the feel of a room that had been recently renovated (which is one of the most important factors in a hotel room, in my book). Bed was comfortable, if a little soft. Our view onto the convention center was nice. We had no noise issues, probably because we were on the 11th floor, on the side facing away from the night life. The location is great, lots of fun night life, we just walked around, ate some tacos from a gourmet fusion taco truck, and then went to bed.

Parking is valet only, $40 a night. I drove half a block down the street and paid $32. I could have paid less and woke up early, or driven another block and probably gone down to $20-$25. I hate getting gouged on parking, but I guess that is life in So Cal these days. That one pet-peeve aside, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the convention center, and high up, to avoid noise pollution.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed three nights at this very good Hilton while attending a conference at the SD Convention Center, which is directly across the street. The location is excellent for convention center events and for access to the harbor. It's also convenient to numerous restaurants, within a few blocks, in the Gaslamp Quarter. The room was average in size, clean and comfortable, and everything worked. The lobby bar and restaurant had good, cheerful service and appeared to be popular with younger local residents -- it was hoppin' all three days. The surrounding area is loaded with residential high-rise buildings, which along with the Gaslamp restuarants, means a good, safe, active feel to it. The only downside to staying in downtown San Diego is that's relatively expensive, but this hotel is not out of line with the competition, especially given the location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

OMG- It started with me checking into a 110 degree room on the 3rd floor. When asked to change rooms, I was given polite Hilton customer service and relocated to the 2nd floor as this was the only room avail. I went into the room and looked out the window which was directly across the street from another building and busy cafe. For peovacy sake, my entire stay the drapes had to be drawn for privacy. The room was exceptionally hot as well (the halls were cooler) leading me to belive there was a problem with the air system in the entie hotel. The bed was incredibly old with a big indent in the middle. Pillows were old and super soft that your neck was not supported. Our backs were killing us the following day. Bathroom was nothing special. This hotel reminded me of a Holiday Inn that was purchased and hung a Hilton sign on front. This is my first bad experience in a hilton. I would not recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: There are many hotels in the area. If you are a fan of Hilton, stayin Hilton Convention center. It o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CRNA212,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. The hotter than usual weather has challenged our AC system. We are working to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience and would like to invite you to give us a second chance to live up to your expectations.