“Great location, we would come back”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #73 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is really great. It is next to the Gaslamp district and all restaurants and shops are within walking distance. There is a train station next to this hotel and I read many remarks from guests that it was noisy in the rooms. We really do not agree to this, as we had a beautiful stay at this hotel. The rooms are modern furnished. When we ever will come back to San Diego, we will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,028)

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Across the street from the Convention Center, 3 blocks from Petco Park, and a block from the Gas Lamp Quarter. Convenient location for my wife to wander and shop while I worked. The rooms were nice, but somehow we got stuck with a room with 2 full size beds rather than one king. Not Hilton's fault, but a strange configuration. I don't know too many adults (esp. married couples) who enjoy sleeping in a full size bed. Our room looked out over a courtyard, over toward the Hard Rock Hotel across the street. The Hard Rock has a very noisy Sunday afternoon pool party, so be aware of noise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel has an annex which is called The Lofts. These are newly updated rooms and vey nice furnishings. There are a limited number of rooms in The Lofts which is like staying in a very quiet small hotel.

The breakfast buffet is next door in the main hotel and is very good. This is a nice selection of fruits and pastries.

The location of this hotel is at the western entrance to the Gaslight Quarter of San Diego and across the street from the Convention Center. This is a very convenient location for both nightlife, dining choices, and meetings at the convention center.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed one night and picked this hotel based on proximity to the baseball stadium. It's very close. This is about $50 more than what I typically try to spend but it was clean and pretty nice. I was in 631 which has a decent city views in 2 different directions. Front desk girl and bellhop girl were both nice and efficient. I got a great turkey club at the mini mart directly across the street. Will stay at this hotel and go back for that sandwich next time in town for sure. Was a Saturday night and it's close to bars so there was some street noise. But the bed was so nice I zoned right out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Another 100% honest review by the Bouche Family..........

Ok first off the start of this stay didnt end very well. Absolutely NO parking unless you are one of the lucky early birds to find a spot across the street. Even if you are one of them (which we were not) you will have your spot taken before you even drive away. Oddly enough we were NOT told anything unti we pulled up after circling around for 10 minutes. I had to ask the valet guy where the parking is........ His answer?!? "your looking at it" So needless to say not only do they charge you (it was either $25 or $30 a night) but then you need to pay the piper in this case valet attendent every time you go anywhere. Close to $50 a day when its all said and done.
The room itself was very very nice. Very quiet very romantic setting (for all you woman out there). Everything in the room was great. Bathrooms were elegant and clean.
Outside of the rooms is where I had a few issues....... First off I know its a Hilton but some of the staff just came across as "stuck up" I asked about an upgraded room and she told me they had no jacuzzi rooms there and when I asked about another upgrade she was happy to do it for another $100.00 which I happily said "no thank you" She actually seemed quite offended by that if you can believe that or not as though she had never been turned down before.
Now my other issue was we all know how beautiful the weather is in San Diego right??? Well you would assume that you would have a ton of areas to sit out and have a few drinks......DONT ASSUME here. Average sitting bar area outside which almost seemed like it was tucked away like a dirty secret. It was almost like they wanted to keep such a professional look to it that they didnt want the outside world to know people drank here lol. Yeah it was really odd.
Nothing as far as a balcony either. I found that to be a bit depressing as again who doesnt love being outside in San Diego. Now dont get me wrong if you are looking for cleanliness and a nice hotel than this is definitely that. I think we paid $169.99 for the room which is about the threshold of what I would pay for this place. I wouldnt pay over $200.00 for this room I can certainly tell you that. Reason I say that is while I do find it to be worth $200.00 a night I just know from experience that their is a lot of other better offers for that price of slightly more. If you are hung up on saving money than this is a good start. If the few extra dollars isnt a big deal to you than LOOK ELSEWHERE and I assure you that you will be happier. One shining note is that across the street at the corner of the street on Gaslamp there is a Mexican Restaurant that is to die for!! They have got incredible food. If you find yourself in this area than this restaurant is a MUST EAT. It is worth the price of admission for sure.
If you have any questions about this hotel please dont hesitate to email me at shaneb@scecorp.com

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2013

It it weren't for the high extra charges, I would have given this hotel a higher rating. Located on the edge of the Gas Lamp Quarter and across from the Convention Center, the hotel's location is excellent. The room was very comfortable, fairly spacious, and appeared to be recently modernized. It was clean and had plenty of drawer and closet space. The bathroom was clean and had a moderate amount of counter space. What was missing, however, was free WiFi in the room. I can't understand how in 2013, with so many people traveling with wireless technology, inexpensive chain hotels can provide this amenity without charge, yet a big chain such as Hilton wants to charge almost $12 to have WIFI in your room. It is really disgraceful.

Also, don't be shocked by the $40 per day for parking. If you don't mind a little inconvenienc, there are public lots barely a block away that charge only $15 a day for parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjlv07b
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I love this hotel. It's in a great location in the hugely popular area that is the Gaslamp Quarter but it's not right in the heart of it you know, which is a good thing because you're not exposed to the noise at night when everyone is out having a good time. They give you ear plugs which is a nice touch. I sleep with one every night but I didn't have to use them as you couldn't hear a thing outside... Well actually, I lied.. I did use them but it was because my mate snores really bad!

The staff that we dealt with were really nice, the hotel is well maintained and the decor is very nice as well - it's not boring and you can't help but feel great as soon as you walk in.

There's free wifi in the lobby and they also have computers that you can use for free.

It's quite close to the hotel and, from memory, the cab costs us about $25 which is not bad at all.

I will definitely stay there again on my next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kevin S
mctigup, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Kevin S - Thanks for the review of the Hilton Gaslamp! While our hotel is located adjacent to the Gaslamp Quarter archway, you mention a great point...We are just a couple steps away from the excellent nightlife options, allowing our guests to still get a great night of sleep. Thanks for sharing that insider tip for future guests!