“Best stay, best rate, best service, best everything.”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 10, 2013

One thing that i admire most about this stay is the location. It was surrounded by lots of restaurants and bars so finding a place to eat or drink was never too hard to find. Also, everyone that worked there had the best customer service and really did what they could to satisfy every one of our needs. Ill definitely be staying here again next time I stop by gaslamp again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for a conference in April. The location is great as it is right across the conventional hall. Room is a little more spacious than your average sized room. it feels a little more quaint than the enormous Hyatt or Marriott across the street. The only reason why I didn't rate it a 5 is because of the outrageous valet parking fee ($40 per night!!!). I did not have an option to self park, so I was forced to pay the valet parking fee. Other than that, the stay was okay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Like a previous review said, I have never seen a set of ear plugs left on the bedside table before and naively my boyfriend and I laughed it off and joked that it must be in case of snoring.
We picked the hotel because we were attending the Baseball game that night, we arrived back about 11.30pm that night and drifted off to sleep until approximately 2am when the trains started and continued every 20 minutes blowing the fog horns all night long it was horrendous and let me tell you the earplugs don't even manage to block out the sound!
When we checked out the next day I asked the receptionist why we hadn't been told about the noise, she rudely replied that they couldn't be expected to explain this to every guest, we didn't even receive as much as any apology and had to pay in full.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicola c
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I noticed that your stay with us was actually last year ( 2012) in September. I'm happy to report that late last year the city of San Diego had approved and completed a "Quiet Zone" act where safety precautions were added at track crossings eliminating the need for the trains to sound their horns. While our dynamic location in the Gaslamp district along with several other hotels in the area remains adjacent to local transportation hubs our customers have reported that this has been a very positive change.
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay last year and while we do offer earplugs to assist with noise, we understand how important a good night's rest is while traveling and regret this impacted your stay. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our location again. Thank you.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

A colleague referred this hotel to me, and I tried several times to get a room. Being a Federal employee facing sequestration (budget cutbacks), we try very hard to get value for the limited per diem dollars we can spend on a hotel.

When I finally got in, I realized what the fuss was about. As a Gold member, I received a complimentary upgrade to one of the BEST rooms in the hotel (thanks Jasmine). The view was EXCELLENT, topped only by the service. From the valet to the managers and in between, the staff went above and beyond: Each time I got my car, the valets made sure I had directions. Chris Lott and Steve Wisner were VERY gracious hosts at the VIP manager's reception on Wednesday. The restaurant staff recommended meals that fit my budget and hunger levels (not too little and not too much). Because I had an early flight, I requested room service before the restaurant opens, and Corrina had my breakfast there BEFORE 5:15. When Corrina delivered my tray, she told me that Kristina set up my tray the night before and "threatened" everyone not to touch it!!!

I can't wait to come back to this hotel; it is definitely part of the Gaslamp experience! It is in walking distance to many of the sights and located across the street from the Convention Center. There are restaurants, museums, and shops nearby (not to mention you're right down the street from Petco Park, the Padres' stadium).

Thanks so much to Steve Wisner and his competent, dedicated staff!!!!

If you can't get in the first time you call, I've got two words for you... KEEP TRYING!!! (You'll be glad you did.)

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on any of the floors; this way, you get a better view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly team members and look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beat. Close to San Diego attractions, nightlife, great restaurants, Coronado ferry, public transport (train and trolley), and directly across the street from the Convention Center. While it's not a big hotel there is a relaxing lobby area and outdoor seating overlooking a green space. Smallish pool on a higher floor deck area. After check-in when first arrived in the room and saw my room overlooked the coaster/trolley tracks and saw the complimentary ear plugs on the night stand I though I might have a problem. I didn't use the plugs and just once during my 3 night stay did I wake at the sound of a train...so it wasn't a problem. And not all rooms face the tracks so if a concern, you could request another unit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I am happy that you had a chance to relax in our lobby area and enjoyed your stay. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gas lamp district as well as Pepco park and several area attractions. We look forward to your next visit to the San Diego area and serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Nice hotel, staff very friendly. We had our room facing the Hard Rock hotel and on thursday, i think, they have a crazy very loud and noisy party in the pool area for Mtv. The good thing is that it finished by 8 pm. Breakfast was good also.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were only here for one night (Hot Chocolate 5K EARLY on Sunday morning) and wanted to stay near the fun action in San Diego. This hotel does have a fantastic location. Right next to the action without being right in it. Easily accessible as well.

On the 8th floor we didn't hear the trains but the other guests coming back after their evenings in the Gaslamp were especially loud in the hallway from about 11pm to 2am. Those earplugs from a previous poster would have been nice. We had told the front desk upon arrival that we were getting up at 5:30am to run the Hot Chocolate 5K. She noted that plenty of guests were doing the same. I was naive to think we'd be on a floor with them instead of partying guests. I realize the noise from other guests in the hallways is not the fault of the Hilton staff but why can't they make doors that go all the way to the floor. There is a 1inch gap before the door hits the carpet and I swear the noise just travels through there........

The bed was comfy, the shower was nice and warm, and the location made our one night stay in San Diego a great weekend. I just wish we were able to actually sleep through the night.

Oh, and our curtains didn't shut completely due to the decorations on the curtain rod, so if you need a blacked out room to sleep, bring your own eye mask.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevator so you have a better chance of not hearing the other guests.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple