“This hotel is part of the Gaslamp experience”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #73 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This hotel is part of the Gaslamp experience”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A colleague referred this hotel to me, and I tried several times to get a room. Being a Federal employee facing sequestration (budget cutbacks), we try very hard to get value for the limited per diem dollars we can spend on a hotel.

When I finally got in, I realized what the fuss was about. As a Gold member, I received a complimentary upgrade to one of the BEST rooms in the hotel (thanks Jasmine). The view was EXCELLENT, topped only by the service. From the valet to the managers and in between, the staff went above and beyond: Each time I got my car, the valets made sure I had directions. Chris Lott and Steve Wisner were VERY gracious hosts at the VIP manager's reception on Wednesday. The restaurant staff recommended meals that fit my budget and hunger levels (not too little and not too much). Because I had an early flight, I requested room service before the restaurant opens, and Corrina had my breakfast there BEFORE 5:15. When Corrina delivered my tray, she told me that Kristina set up my tray the night before and "threatened" everyone not to touch it!!!

I can't wait to come back to this hotel; it is definitely part of the Gaslamp experience! It is in walking distance to many of the sights and located across the street from the Convention Center. There are restaurants, museums, and shops nearby (not to mention you're right down the street from Petco Park, the Padres' stadium).

Thanks so much to Steve Wisner and his competent, dedicated staff!!!!

If you can't get in the first time you call, I've got two words for you... KEEP TRYING!!! (You'll be glad you did.)

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on any of the floors; this way, you get a better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our friendly team members and look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beat. Close to San Diego attractions, nightlife, great restaurants, Coronado ferry, public transport (train and trolley), and directly across the street from the Convention Center. While it's not a big hotel there is a relaxing lobby area and outdoor seating overlooking a green space. Smallish pool on a higher floor deck area. After check-in when first arrived in the room and saw my room overlooked the coaster/trolley tracks and saw the complimentary ear plugs on the night stand I though I might have a problem. I didn't use the plugs and just once during my 3 night stay did I wake at the sound of a train...so it wasn't a problem. And not all rooms face the tracks so if a concern, you could request another unit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I am happy that you had a chance to relax in our lobby area and enjoyed your stay. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gas lamp district as well as Pepco park and several area attractions. We look forward to your next visit to the San Diego area and serving you again in the near future.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Nice hotel, staff very friendly. We had our room facing the Hard Rock hotel and on thursday, i think, they have a crazy very loud and noisy party in the pool area for Mtv. The good thing is that it finished by 8 pm. Breakfast was good also.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Southern California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were only here for one night (Hot Chocolate 5K EARLY on Sunday morning) and wanted to stay near the fun action in San Diego. This hotel does have a fantastic location. Right next to the action without being right in it. Easily accessible as well.

On the 8th floor we didn't hear the trains but the other guests coming back after their evenings in the Gaslamp were especially loud in the hallway from about 11pm to 2am. Those earplugs from a previous poster would have been nice. We had told the front desk upon arrival that we were getting up at 5:30am to run the Hot Chocolate 5K. She noted that plenty of guests were doing the same. I was naive to think we'd be on a floor with them instead of partying guests. I realize the noise from other guests in the hallways is not the fault of the Hilton staff but why can't they make doors that go all the way to the floor. There is a 1inch gap before the door hits the carpet and I swear the noise just travels through there........

The bed was comfy, the shower was nice and warm, and the location made our one night stay in San Diego a great weekend. I just wish we were able to actually sleep through the night.

Oh, and our curtains didn't shut completely due to the decorations on the curtain rod, so if you need a blacked out room to sleep, bring your own eye mask.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevator so you have a better chance of not hearing the other guests.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This place is in the PERFECT location, right across from convention center and trolley stop. You can easily walk it in two minutes (even with luggage in tow...). This is truly in the heart of the Gaslamp, everything is within easy walking distance. There are cabs everywhere if you want to venture out, but there is really no reason to need one. There is also tons to do in the day (walk across behind convention center to the little shops and see the sights), and at night it's an easy walk to any great restaurant in the area.

The hotel is beautiful inside and out, great lobby to hang out in and the rooms were really nice. Who can beat Peter Thomas Roth bath amenities too? ;)

Perfect place, perfect decor, perfect price. You really can't beat it.

Room Tip: It might be louder if your room is facing 5th avenue, we stayed on the convention center view side w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed for a medical convention. The hotel is right across the convention center, in the heart of Gaslamp, one of the best areas of San Diego. Rooms are spacious, comfortable, clean, really good. The staff is extremely kind and helpful. You are within walking distance of many trolley stations and bus stops. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pabloadrianlopez
Reviewed March 22, 2013

While not memorable (I was only there one night), the service was great, the room was spotless, very quiet (never heard the train), and the bed was comfortable. Valet was quick and courteous. My only complaint was that the only place to buy water was across the street at a convenience store.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business