“Great location and friendly staff”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #74 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I normally stay at the Hilton Bayfront but decided to try this smaller Hilton. So glad I did. Very friendly staff, super clean rooms and perfect location. Located at the entrance to the Gaslamp District, it is a great location for eating and shopping. I will be back!

Stayed: January 2013
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as the convention center. We also appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and super clean rooms. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a lovely stay here, the entrance is hard to find however the location is very central. I would recommend this location to anyone looking for a location for a nice night out in San Diego. They had quick service with bringing around the car and very polite staff.

Room Tip: I would request a room away from the train track, this is the only way to avoid this issue downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff was great, but my first room looked like it hosted a party the night before - stains on carpet, chair, decorative pillows and burn holes in drapes. The staff quickly switched me to another room, but it was hard to feel clean after that. The Hilton Bayfront was much nicer - I'd rather walk 10 min into the gaslamp next time.

• Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff.
We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay in our area and we apologize for the problems you encountered. We have addressed the issue of ensuring that our rooms are inspected thoroughly prior to releasing for sale and apologize for our mistake. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and have been staying at Hilton properties for over ten years for both business and pleasure. My wife and I checked in on January 12th for two nights. We moved into our room and noticed it was very cold (60.5 degrees F) so we turned up the heat, or so we thought. 30 minutes later the thermostat hadn't moved so I called the front desk and was told they would send up an engineer. Not wanting to spend our evening in the room waiting, we proceeded to the front desk and I asked to speak to the manager. After a few minutes a man in a chef's smock walked up and asked how he could help, I asked where the "real" manger was and discovered that the chef was the best we would get. I explained the problem to him and asked to be moved to a room with heat if our room could not be fixed. Rhetorical Question: Given the coldest weather of the season, and a Diamond level guest checking in, why was the room not checked? Returning later that evening we were moved to another room. By the way, there was no follow-up by the Chef or the real manager, at any time during our stay, to ensure our satisfaction. At Breakfast the next morning we opted for the buffet with cook-to-order omlettes but there was no cook in sight and had to ask someone to find him. At the pastry table the plates were wet and water spotted and when I went to find a clean plate I found them spotted with food. The waitress, after asking us twice if everything was alright, was visibly irritated at our response about not being able to find a clean plate. Finally, while I understood the parking rate ($40/night) up front, it was interesting to see that the rate for anyone driving in off the street was $15, so the guests that are paying hundreds a night to stay here get to pay an additional $25. While this property is in a convenient location it has an obvious management problem. Hard Rock, Westin and Marriott also have hotels in this area, give one of these a try.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bulitlist
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. I apologize for the issues in your room in addition to the way your situation was handled. It is always our goal to assist guests with any needs in the kindest and most prompt manner possible and are very sorry you did not receive this service. Your comments regarding the pricing of parking will be taken into consideration as we are always looking for ways to stay competitive while offering guests the best amenities. If you return to our area, I hope you will consider staying with us again and receiving the stay you've come to expect from us.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We decided on this hotel when planning our trip to San Diego for its location and we were not disappointed. Great location at the entrance of the Gaslamp quarter, next to bars and restaurants and 20 mins walk to US Midway and the waterfront. The hotel itself is very lovely, with very functional rooms: great beds for a good night sleep, powerful shower (which is a plus) and very spacious. We were on the last floor and we had a very peaceful night.To top it up, the staff is professional and friendly. We really enjoyed our stay there.
The only negative feedback will be on the price of the valet parking (no self-parking) which is a bit steep $40 per night.

Room Tip: Top floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Corinne R

Thank you so much for your five star review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. I appreciate your kind comments on our professional and friendly staff members. Regarding the parking, our parking costs include the Valet service, as well as unlimited 'In and Out' meaning you can take your car whenever you want without additional fees. Your car will always remain secure and accessible in our covered parking. There are certainly are less expensive options in the area, but they won't necessarily come with the security and convenience with 24 hour access to your vehicle.
We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were able to book a suite at this hotel very last minute and so glad we did. The room was great and very spacious. It was on the 9th floor so nice and quiet and a corner unit. The gym is very useful although a little small when more than 4 people are using it. It is next to an outdoor pool and jacuzzi area. The only downside to this hotel is the bar area and lounge area. It feels cold and not comforting to sit there for a long time. The lounge area outside with fire pit is nice though. We have stayed here before and each time it was been great and such a short walk to great restaurants and bars and other attractions. Valet parking is expensive. Cleaning service was just ok, the bare minimal was done over our 3 days stay.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room high up and away from the trolley side as that can be noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here previously when in San Diego for a conference. The hotel is a short ride from the airport and a short ride to the cruise terminal. The convention center is just across the street and the trolley stop is nearby. The property has a smaller, more intimate feel and public areas are nicely decorated and comfortable. It is easy to stroll out to the Martin Luther King Promenade and take a walk and enjoy public park spaces in the downtown area. I arrived around 9:30 in the evening and the hotel restaurant, New Leaf, had already stopped service for the evening. Fortunately, Fleming's Steakhouse across the street was still serving and their "small plate" of scallops with roasted red bell pepper soup hit the spot. Room was spacious and comfortable, although puzzling -- not a bar of soap! I would've pursued this with the front desk or housekeeping but at that point, having arrived from the east coast, it was the equivalent of 2am for me and i just didn't have the energy. I think it was something that the housekeeper overlooked when finishing up the room (and hope it's not a new "savings" instituted by Hilton!) Front desk staff pleasant and welcoming and also kindly extended my checkout time in the morning. In room coffee maker very nice to have -- make one cup or make two cups.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo