“Good Hotel, Great Location”

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #71 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Whether it's for business or pleasure, this hotel is a very nice place to stay. It's a short walk to the convention center as well as to the restaurants and shops in the Gaslamp Quarter. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the rooms are very nice.They do charge $40 per night for parking which I found to be a bit much. There is a big public parking lot about a block away that is far less expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the tracks. The clanging of the trolley cars might be disturbing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This property is in an awesome location. Across from the Convention center, walking distance to major shopping and the bay area tourist locations. The gaslamp area is full of great bars many with live music and supurb restaurants. Holloween was really great.
The loft room we stayed in was a corner room at K street and 5th. Remodled, large and clean. The breakfast was comped because we are Diamonds otherwise it is overpriced. Walk up the street and find some nice local dining. The happy hour across the street was long and dirt cheap.
This IS the spot to be in San Diego but it did have issues. The lobby is a bit grubby and needs refurbished. The carpet going up the stairs has dirt ground in it. The furniture is worn and should be cleaned more often. Even the clerks desk chair visible through the office door had the stuffing coming out of it. Every morning the lobby coffee was empty. On check out day a bellman was no where to be found yet there were three, yes three, valet parking guys. Got tired of waiting and took my own luggage down using two different elevators.
STILL, next time I go to San Diego I will stay at this property rather than the huge, shiney Hilton three blocks away.
Absolutely ride the trolley and see the whole city.

Room Tip: The room we had overlooking K street was good. Do not know where the others overlooked.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize for the wait time involving our bell service as we try to anticipate heavy check out periods and schedule accordingly. We do have new furniture in place throughout the lobby and restaurant area's and are in the process of upgrading our outdoor furnishings. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Location could not have been better and the price was right. Gaslamp district a block away. Mini-mart across the street offers everything from breakfast to liquor and everything in between. World Market is nearby and provided all the wine we could drink. Pool is small, but clean and in full sun during the day to keep the water ideal. Workout facility has new equipment and was never crowded. Rooms are spacious and compfrtable for a family of 3. If in San Diego again, I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and i recently stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp Quarter Loft Towers and i have to say it was an amazing night. Great location close to all the good clubs and bars. Clean rooms and great room service.This is a location we will stay at again some time soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your five star "Incredible" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review and sharing your comments on our new Loft Suites. Thank you also for your kind comments on our clean rooms and great room service food. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel was in walking distance to Padres baseball field. Pretty nice hotel for a 3.5 star. Clean rooms nice bathroom clean, with nice toiletries. Bar, dining area not so good drinks tooooo expensive and bartender no good sorry but yuck on my 30 dollar Bloody Mary's!!!! Gross. And the service in there was horrible. But besides that I would stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district and several area attractions including Petco Park. We appreciate your comments on our clean rooms. I apologize that you did not enjoy the bar experience. We do offer happy hour pricing and dinner specials throughout the week and look forward to serving you to your complete satisfaction on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I love visiting San Diego. Since we live in snow country, we've regularly taken January trips to SD to celebrate my birthday in much warmer weather. Our of our prior trips have included dinner one night in the Gaslamp Quarter. This was the first time we decided to stay in the downtown area and this Hilton stay was a nice one.

It was very convenient to stay here one night and use the proximity of the hotel to walk a few minutes up to restaurant we had chosen to dine in.

We ended up with a nice rate and a room to match. However, it didn't start out that way. The room originally assigned didn't meet my wife's desire for views. We were assigned an upper floor and our view was of a portion of the rooftop of other parts of the hotel. A visit to the front desk brought a worker up to our level to show us a couple of other room options. The first one met my wife's approval, it was of the downtown area. The room had a wonderfully compfy bed and was quiet. I'm an earlier riser, even on vacations, and my wife likes to sleep in. This room was somewhat of a mini-suite. I made use of the outer area to sit on the sofa, surf the web, and read the paper.

The only downside to this hotel is the exorbitant valet parking costs. I found a parking garage two blocks away and paid $10 to self-park.

I highly recommend at stay here. We will return on future visits.

Room Tip: We prefer the north-facing rooms with views of the city. South-facing higher-floor rooms, those wit...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Am Hhonors Diamond, frequently in and around SD - decided to stay downtown for once, as room rate was decent and this was nearest my morning meeting.

It's a lovely property, but this review is really intended as a sharp shock to the management. Your employees' attitudes are terrible. The front desk was understaffed at 3:30 p.m. -- a time when your top tier loyalty progam people shouldn't be waiting and waiting. Maryana seemed flustered and put out to leave the back room and check me in - and I got the distinct impression that because I was in a sweater and jeans instead of business attire, I got a second rate level of service and attitude. She also couldn't provide breakfast coupons in a timely manner, and forgot to give me back my credit card. I know it's not her forever job, but the "wish I didn't have to do this" vibe just radiated.

For my entertainment pleasure, your housekeeping staff is currently enjoying themselves yelling in Spanish in the hallway, no doubt about the many empty bottles they're clanking around in the garbage bin.

Those bottles gave me an idea - maybe I'd like a beer! I did notice that you trumpet the (justifiably renowned) local brews in the lobby on several placards - and the in-room dining menu cites Green Flash IPA (great choice). Maybe they'd also have something special on tap? Maybe I'd go down to the bar and order a beer? Or have one sent up?

Or .... who knows, because NO ONE AT YOUR PLACE IS ANSWERING THE PHONE AT FIVE PM. Not when I hit "0;" not when I hit the button for in room dining; not when I try the extension for the bar. NO EXTENSION IS PICKING UP IN THE HOTEL, INCLUDING THE OPERATOR.

You guys are so awesome that you don't even have to answer the phone! Kudos to you for your popularity. However, this is the hospitality industry, not high school, and I wish for more service and fewer reminders that I'm being permitted to bask in the shadow of your greatness.

Sarcasm aside, the attitude with staff (except the valet - who ought to be nice at $40/night parking, shame on you) is terrible.

If you're 55 and bald and wear "slacks," you'll love it. If you're the kind of person who dislikes such establishments, you won't love it. In fact, the regular downtown Hilton and Doubletree are both far superior for you Hhonors folks.

Room Tip: Bring your patience to the front desk - you'll need it!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Danhedonia
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that we were not successful in providing you the high level of service we hope to provide every guest, during your stay. We truly value our Diamond members and strive to meet the needs of each individual. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.