“Awesome location”

Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Plantation, Florida
“Awesome location”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Nothing to complain about here. The location itself is perfect! It is right at the edge of the Gaslamp district within walking distance to tons of great restaurants and shopping. Right across from the Convention Center and within walking distance to the boardwalk where you can watch street magicians, a guy with birds, this guy who stacks rocks (I know it sounds strange but its actually really neat. He precariously balances rocks of varying shapes and sizes into 6 foot tall towers). The boardwalk is also a great place to watch the sunset. The pool is relatively small and so is the hot tub but it worked for us. The hotel is right next to the train tracks and they provide you with ear plugs and I was nervous when I first saw them because I am a light sleeper... But my boyfriend and I never used them and never heard the trains and we had a room pretty close to the tracks.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Amanda K
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your five star "Awesome" review of the hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments concerning our perfect location. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and loved it, however this trip was not as enchanting. We always book the loft rooms which are huge with high ceilings and a delightful sense of having your own studio in the middle of the gaslamp district. This trip the hotel seemed to have gotten very 'tired'. The mattress was a disgrace with no support whatsoever. We had just left a Marriott in San Francisco with a delightful sleep experience at a lower cost than this room. Housekeeping was challenged; we never had our soap refreshed (guess you are supposed to use the old sticky one in the shower) and twice they left dirty glasses without refreshing them. The bottled water was not replaced. Most of the jets in the jacuzzi in the room didn't work. These rooms cost between $300.00 - $500.00 a night. No new soap????
We went out to use the pool one day and there were cigarette butts on the tiles.
While my prior review of this Hilton gave it rave reviews, I am sorry to say this stay was not at all up to expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MALUV2Travel
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you had some issues with the replenishment of your in room amenities as noted in the review. Our housekeeping staff normally receives high marks on our guest feedback channels and this is not typical of the high standards that we strive for. Our bedding package is a Hilton standard and we have Serta pillow top mattress sets in all of our guest rooms. We will be sure to inspect the room you were in and ensure that all standards are in place for the future. We look forward to future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Took the family to San Diego for a summer get away and we decided to stay someplace different this time and chose the Renaissance SD Gaslamp Quarter. This was our first time staying here, but overall, the hotel and the experience were for the most part, top notch. Upon arrival to the hotel, you have to valet park your vehicle, which is pretty much standard for staying downtown anywhere in Cali (Anywhere nice anyway). So, that was par for the course. But, I will say the valet staff were always pleasent, they were there to greet you when you pulled in, and, they always offered water for my entire family, which I thought was a nice touch.

Now, this is a high-rise hotel in the heart of SD located very close to Petco Park where the Padres play, but we stayed on a non-game weekend. When we entered the hotel, it was very clean and the staff were very nice and helpful. We had a double double room with an adjoining room for our daughter and her boyfriend. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comy, albeit small. Why they don't use queen beds versus double beds is beyond me. The rooms also didn't have a mini fridge or a microwave and for these reasons, I could not rate this hotel 5 stars.

However, when it comes to location, it was right there at the doorstep of the Gaslamp Quarter, which is where we did most of our eating and walking to, set aside from the beach or boating that we did. This hotel was close to everything we needed; food, shopping, entertainment, etc. Our hotel room overlooked the pool area and outside sitting area, but the pool was nothing special as it was small and although it was not always crowded inside the pool, it was crowded around the pool as everyone wanted to sun bathe so, seating was a tad problematic.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for quality, price and definitely the location, and, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank R E
RoadTripper504
Reviewed October 1, 2012

First, the parking complaint. Yeah it's about $40 and valet-mandatory to do it at the hotel but with good reason, the hotel is locked in by train tracks and old buildings so there is no extra space on site. There were two simple solutions, there are at least 3 parking garages/lots within a few blocks that cost $8-12 for the night or if you're renting a car then don't rent until the next morning and grab a cab from the airport ($15) and walk to the car rental the next morning - 3 easy miles along the harbor to the airport car services and there are closer satelite places in the Gaslamp area.

As for the hotel, well located and decently clean but it could use some new wall paper and carpeting in areas. Great shower water pressure. Our room was silent, 54? which looked to the inside courtyard. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Overall a good place to stop through if you're in town for a night and want to jump around Gaslamp.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadTripper504
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district as well as Petco park and several area attractions. The Hotel is scheduled for some upgrades in the beginning of 2013 that will give our common areas a nice refresh. We appreciate your comments on our helpful and friendly staff and look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is the typical Hilton property, nice large rooms, friendly staff, and up to date amenities. Location is absolutely perfect is you are looking to be downtown in the gaslamp quarter. You are literally at the entrance to the gaslamp, endless restaurants, bars, and shops. Even with all that said, hotel is quiet and noise free. As far as downtown hotels in san Diego, this provides a good value as well. Clean, typical Hilton property and one of the relatively cheaper options downtown.

• Stayed September 2012
GMHiltonGaslamp, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Convention Center as well as the dynamic Gaslamp district and several area attractions. We appreciate your comments on our nice, large rooms, friendly staff and up to date amenities. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I thought this Hilton was very nice, it is really in a perfect location if you want to stay in the Gaslamp district. The rooms were nice, clean. We were on the 12th floor so we did not hear any noise from the street below. Breakfast was great, perfect way to start our day. You are also close to Seaside Village - which is a great place to run or walk in the morning. I walked and was gone for about an hour. My only complaint is the parking situation. To valet is $40 per night, I attempted to find a garage or a parking lot in the vicinity, but, was unable to find anywhere that appeared to be safe and that I could park for the entire night so I just bit the bullet and used the valet service.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter I imagine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review as we share all guest comments with our staff. The hotel does enjoy a great location and is very convenient to the Gaslamp district, Seaport village and many other city attractions including the convention center. We appreciate your comments on our "Great Location" and "Great Breakfast". We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Seattle
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had stayed in the loft area previously and had a good experience. I usually stay at the Marriott, but thought I would give this another try, as they don't charge to receive my convention pop-up.

The desk said that my room had been renovated, but there was no evidence of that. In fact it was looking pretty tired. I had several problems: my cell coverage was horrible; I had to stand at the window to get a signal; this is bad, as I use my phone as a hot spot. The lamp next to the bed did not work; the light in the closet stayed on constantly; the stopper in the sink was broken; shower handle was loose; the showerhead was old and all the settings on it were completely worn off; the tile on the shower wall had a horizontal crack about 3 feet long and the grout was stained; the next morning housekeeping did not replace the coffee, I called to get some sent up, but had to call again an hour later to remind them. The room had only a chair with a vinyl cover.

From the fire plan it looked like I got one of the smallest rooms, so I may have just been unlucky, but I wasn't happy with the maintenance of the room.

The location is good. The staff was very pleasant. However, they would not give me late checkout. I'm going back to the Marriott next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to improve our services as we share all reviews with our staff. I apologize that you had some issues with your room as noted in the review. Our housekeeping staff normally receives high marks on our guest feedback channels and this is not typical of the high standards that we strive for. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our "very pleasant staff". We hope to have future opportunities to serve you to your complete satisfaction.