“This hotel was not only adorable but in the perfect location!”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #165 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 24, 2011

While I would not recommend this hotel for families, I would most definitely recommend it for a night on the town either with friends or a significant other. The rooms were a tad on the small side, but the hotel itself made up for that. It was very quaint and had a great 40s vibe to it. It's also right next door to a restauraunt open 24/7. The staff was very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear Guest , Thank you for nice review. We do have one of the best locations downtown. Close to all. Next time you come, use the hotel's web site link on our Trip Advisor listing. It take you to the lowest rate possible and makes any changes you may need much easier to make . Hope to see you in America's Finest City soon

Reviewed February 22, 2011

The good:
- Free airport shuttle picked up us in just ten minutes, we asked for the free shuttle in a counter in the airport. They called the hotel for us and asked for it.
- Lovely elevators! (although the heavy doors, uncomfortable if you are carrying some luggage)
- Gentile employees.

The bad:
- On friday night, there was too much noise from the street due to a nightclub near the hotel.
- Small (but comfortable) room.
- During daytime, downtown is deserted.
- Expensive parking.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Gaslamp. You'll be shocked to know our parking is less than 1/2 of what other downtown hotels charge. A single sq foot of land in the Gaslamp cost over $100 , thus parking is costly. We only charge guests ,what the parking garage charges us. We don't tack on valets wages or other mark ups . It's a break even deal. Downtown San Diego parking is no where as expensive as San Francisco parking yikess .....real sticker shock. Hope to see you in the Gaslamp again soon. If you return use the hotel's web site link on Trip Advisor to book, it gets you the lowest rate possible and freedom the change arrival/ departure dates with less hassle

Reviewed February 16, 2011

My stay was 02/11/2011 - 02/12/2011. Like most customers in today's world I first read all the reviews for the hotels in the area of the Gas-Lamp district of San Diego before booking my stay. I had seen some negative reviews written about the Ramada and know that every business in the world has some bad reviews. Well I can tell you this, don't believe everything you read. I did my research about the area and the hotel Ramada/St. James and seen that it was in the middle of the most happening part of the Gas-Lamp district and that it was a historical landmark built in 1885 by Dr. P. C. Remondino. Read the awesome history of this hotel, copy and paste this link: http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/56april/james.htm Now for my review, I arrived at San Diego airport 10:30 am picked up my luggage at the baggage claim and called the hotel's front desk, 10 minutes later the hotel shuttle has curbside to pick me up and bring me back to the hotel, the drive was very courteous and informative to all my question about the city. Once at the hotel I was greeted by the front desk like I was a VIP. Check-in was a breeze and again I ask a million more questions about the city since it was my first time in San Diego and they informed me of all the great things in and around San Diego. Now besides the elegant lobby was the much talked about elevators that some customers complained about, but I'm sure they never read the history of them. The two polished brass doors, the fastest most state of the art elevators in the time. People traveled from all over to ride them. They worked fine for my entire stay without a glitch, and they are around 100 years old! So after the ride up to the 6th floor I arrived at my room, the room was very clean, the view was great, and yes they have WIFI and Cable TV. The maid service was also great, after each days meeting when I returned to the room it was clean and everything was in order. No room complaints here. Now talk about the best view, if you go up to the 10th floor you can access the rooftop that has seating, tables and endless views 360 degrees and great sunset. Trust me I have an album of around 100 pictures taken from the roof. The noise in the area at night was normal for any center city location so the complainers must have never stayed in a city before. The restaurant/bar connected to the hotel is Brian's 24 and let me tell you the prices and food were great, I enjoyed each meal and I had breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at Brian's 24 and they also handle the room service for the Ramada which was great even at 3am.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Gorgo711

Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review. Trip Advisor customer reviews are designed to advise potential guests of what to expect when they arrive based on the reviewer's experience. A good review should contain pertinent information to help a future traveler gather enough information to make an informed selection. Even a review not favorable to a hotel should still inform. Some reviewers are more skillful than others . I think you've mastered the artl and have provided potential future guests with enough information to make an informed decision. The value of Trip Advisor lies in the skill of the reviewer. Good job! Hope to see you in the Gaslamp again soon.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Pros:
Very clean. There is a very nice roof top patio with a 270 degree view of San Diego Bay and much of downtown. Location is 6th and F streets, at the edge of the Gaslamp district. Free Wifi, and 2 guest computers on the 1st floor. There's a 24-hour restaurant adjacent to the hotel providing dining and room service (looked OK, we did not try it).

The historic 11 story building is from the turn of the 20th century. The elevators were installed in 1913, slow but a charming, functioning antiquity.

Cons:

** VERY LOUD *** !! The hotel is adjacent to a rowdy night club. We heard yelling, screaming, fighting and motorcycles all night. It was impossible to sleep until after 3:00am, even with ear plugs. Within 50 feet of the hotel entrance there were homeless people sleeping in the doorways, prostitutes, drunks and vomit on the side walk.

The room was very small, I could not walk around the bed with the suitcase next to it.

The Ramada website sold me a queen bed. This is an outright lie. There are no queen beds in the hotel. These are 54" standard double beds, but the hotel staff insists they are queen.

This is not a hotel for mature adults. The average age here was about 25, many military, all of them there to party. The screams of passion came form every other door as I walked down the hall at night. But, we saw no problems with the behavior of any of the young guests in the public areas the hotel.

Maintenance was lacking. The bed ruffle had large brown stains along one side. There were scratches and gouges in the wall and woodwork everywhere.

The service was poor. Outside the elevator, dishes from a guest's breakfast remained from my check-in at 3:00pm until I went to bed at 1:00 am.

Parking is $20 per night, valet only. Bellman was slow and inefficient.

Front desk staff was efficient and polite, but aloof and uncaring.

No pool or hot tub.

NOT for families!!

Summary:
If you are under 30 and looking to party all night in the Gaslamp, great location.

Anyone else, STAY AWAY !!

Scale of 1 to 5:
Quiet=1
Value=1

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smittysez
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Dear Guest, Well obviously you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are in the Gaslamp which is the entertainment district of downtown and there is a night club, "The Double Duce" at the end of the block. They are usually very good neighbors. You must have been in one of the rooms that face the street, the windows are double paned , but if you're a very light sleeper and it's a Saturday night in the Gaslamp ,I can see where the situation may not be all you hoped for .
With reqards to the beds I can assure you they are all queen beds, I don't know of any hotel that would be allowed to " lie about their bed size". There is no hotel franchise brand in America that would allow such a thing. But I under stand when you're not having a good stay,.nothing looks right, even if it actually may be. As for the following observations ;

" The screams of passion came from every other door as I walked down the hall at night." But, we saw no problems with the behavior of any of the young guests in the public areas the hotel."

I'm seldom at a loss for words, this is a first. Should you every return to the Gaslamp ,please contact us with the email link on our Trip Advisor listing and we will make sure your room is high up , back from the street and the maddening ,amorous crowd .

Reviewed February 12, 2011

Great service, including friendly smiles and greetings, and very very clean.
Quiet location in the Gas Lamp, close to entertainment along 5th Avenue, and close to Convention Center and Ballpark.
The elevators are the manual swing door type, built in 1913, but they work quite well. Stairs are a nice option - open stairwells, nice carpet runners, and well lit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JTF25

Dear Guest, We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us . If you ever return ,please book with the cool new Trip Advisor hotel web site link on our Trip Advisor listing. That link takes you right to our website and the lowest possible rate available. We hope to see you again and thanks for the kind words

Reviewed January 20, 2011

I stayed at the Ramada Inn in the Gaslamp Quarter for a little over a week at the end of November/beginning of December in 2010. I loved the customer service of the front desk staff, valets and housekeepers. They were all very helpful in helping me find my way to destinations near the hotel, and throughout the city of San Diego. I was traveling by myself, so the room and amenities (which some may consider small/inadequate) were fine for me: bed, tv, desk, two nightstands, bathroom. The location was nice for me, too, as it's definitely in the heart of the entertainment (an advisory is posted in the hotel to let you know this, so if you're not into city noise, don't book here). The wi-fi connection always worked, the elevators always operated, the water was hot in the shower, and the valets were quick in retrieving my car. It also helped that Brian's 24Hr Restaurant is right next door, so I could stop in there and eat without having to walk or drive, sometimes. Wait staff in the restaurant was friendly and helpful, as well. Great stay, and I'd stay again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thanks for the great review of our little hotel. You did hit all our features. Our rooms aren't the biggest , unless you're in one of the 12 suites , our location is the best, our elevators are old, our staff is friendly, our valets are happy,well groomed ( and respectful of their parents) our restaurant is very popular, and our guests are the best. Sincerely we hope to see you again in America's Finest City.

Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a perfect place to stay if you don't need all the "extras", but appreciate cleanliness and good service. Our room was rather small, and we did not have a frig (no room for it, really), but it did have an iron and a coffeemaker. This was an independently-run hotel before the Ramada bought it, so it has lots of charm. The location is perfect (we could walk to everything) and it's a good value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice review. We are probably the most modestly priced hotel in the Gaslamp .We have a great location within walking distance of everything downtown has to offer . The majority of our rooms are about 25% smaller than newer traditional hotel rooms . Our suites are quite large. Our double/doubles are actually two separate bedrooms with one bath folks sharing love them. . Our elevators are original , which means they have a sliding gate. Fun once or twice, then the novelty begins to wear off. We have a great 24 hour restaurant called Brian's 24 ,it's often packed . The hotel is usually spotless . The housekeeping staff has been at it a long time. We have a web site link on TripAdvisor that gets you the best rate possible ,use it and you'll get the lowest rate possible and we'll get your reservation immediately . Thanks again and we hope you return soon