“Beautiful Rooftop Views”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #164 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Like many other posters, I was charmed by this hotel despite my tiny, dark room. The views from the rooftop are beautiful. Every member of the staff seemed to be genuinely pleased to have my business, something that is not always the case. I appreciated availability of the free guest computers, and traveling without a car, I was happy to be withing a couple of blocks of major bus lines and the Trolley. I look forward to staying at the Ramada Gaslamp again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Dear guest, Thank you for the kind words about Ramada Gaslamp. We do have the best location downtown, walk to Gaslamp restaurants, Horton Plaza mall, Seaport Village, the convention center. It’s all just outside our front door. Yes our rooftop is a secret oasis in the Gaslamp. (Faith Hill did a music video up there once) . And how about that two story roof sign? It doesn’t get more “Retro” than that. NBC studios are few blocks away and they often close their programming at night with a long shot of that two story sign that ends the broadcast day with a zoomed tight close up of our funky sign. We hope to see you in San Diego again sometime

Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Rooms are as described by everyone else. Historic and interesting. My encounters with the front desk staff were great. However, if you are here on business and need a stable wifi connection do not stay here. Assuming you can connect, the last speed test was 189 kbps. Each night there was a gathering of folks trying to get a decent internet connection on the roof. Everyone was frustrated as heck.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2010

Well we have free Wi Fi in the guest rooms, in the lobby, in the free business center, in the restaurant, but a weak signal..... on the roof. Humm there is a repeater up there so maybe it needs to be reset. I'll ask our IT gal she's smart as a whip and always walks the hotel with her tiny tiny little laptop checking the signal in every corner of the hotel . She would be the one to reset any repeaters. Unfortunatley we have to let her out of the hotel at night to go home eat ,sleep (and feed her cats). Seriously thanks for the heads up, we will check the roof top signal. I'm glad everything else seems to have gone well as it was a busy busy weekend.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed 1 night at this property and loved the location. Yes, the room was small but it had a ceiling fan and that was nice. Yes, the elevators were horribly slow- there are only two and one was out of commission. On a historical note, they are the original elevators from like 1916, so they were small and slow and you could see the floors go by- charming, if you like that sort of thing- still - a "quaint" touch. Walking up the stairs to our room was like a maze, the stairs didn't go straight up or even serpentine but had to wander around to find the next set- just another "charming" detail for this older hotel. All of this I understand and appreciate, it is an old hotel after all. My husband and I paid cash for the room and gave the clerk a cash deposit of $100.00 with a receipt that said - DEPOSIT. When I went to check out, apparently the clerk did something wrong and did not note we paid the room fee plus the deposit fee. The manager WOULD NOT REFUND OUR $100.00. He refused to call the clerk who was off that day and ask her if we gave her two $100.00 bills. He all but called us liars when we were very specific on the cash we gave the clerk just the previous afternoon and he REFUSED to apologize or even admit that his staff was at fault preferring to let us make a scene at the counter where people were coming in to check-in. His attitude was not one of customer service. His only offer was that the next day when the controller came in, he would check the deposit or something and then mail us a check for the $100.00. San Diego was the start of our vacation and we had been saving up for it for awhile. His inablity to resolve the situation to the customer's satisfaction, caused us to cancel our plans for that day.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2010

Dear Guest, We are truly sorry for the confusion. Traditionally guests leave a credit card on file with the hotel for any incidental charges i.e. room service, telephone etc. Guests unwilling or unable to do that are required by most hotels to post a refundable cash deposit to cover any incidental charges. This is an occasional but not frequent occurrence. Having not done this too often the clerk forgot to give you a receipt for your cash deposit. When you checked out the next day, since no receipt was written at check in , the new crew had no knowledge or record of your deposit. The manager explained it would require the controllers audit of all the day before transactions to identify your deposit. He promised to mail you a check that day and call you with audit results. Later that day an audit did discover your undocumented cash deposit , the manager called you again to apologize for our mistake and promptly mailed your refund check. The clerk felt terrible for her oversight, the manager felt bad about all shouting ,accusations and unpleasantness that took place in the lobby in front of all the other hotel guests. We can only hope you encountered no other inconveniences during your stay in San Diego

Reviewed June 26, 2010

This was my second trip back to this hotel and once again I was delighted! Located directly in the downtown gaslamp district in San Diego I was able to walk to tons of restaurants, bars and shopping. If you are without a car this is the only place you want to be (I had a car too). A quaint historic hotel always puts me in a mind set of “how it was” yet still offers everything any hotel offers including a fantastic 24 hour restaurant and pub. I had a super view from my room of the city and the harbor. Great staff, great bed, great service, great location, what more could one ask?

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for kind words. We do have a great location and a great caring staff. I'll share your comments with them. Thanks again .

Reviewed June 25, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights had a great time staff very friendly room was pretty small european style but very clean but was hardly in it gaslamp area is great everything on your doorstep gutted i was only here 2 nights would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, thanks for the great observations. The hotel does have the best location downtown . We used to advise guests "for directions to the Gaslamp Quarter, go out the front door" . We actually do have five room type sizes, some are huge,some not so . Our joke is our smallest room is 25% larger than you average Paris Hotel room. Thank you again for visiting San Diego "America's finest city" .

Reviewed June 21, 2010

I stayed for a business trip and admittedly did not spend too much time in the hotel. However, while my room on the fifth floor was small, without closets and had older fixtures (as mentioned in other reviews), I came expecting these--given that the facility is a historic hotel. More importantly, the room was clean, the floor was quiet and staff very friendly. The location is very good for access to the ballpark, Gaslamp district and convention center. I'm not sure I would spend my family vacation here but for a quick or business trip, it was a good value and I would consider it again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Ramada. We do have the best location downtown and we try to remain Gaslamp's best hotel value. Most folks don't realize we actually have 5 room sizes, some huge, some,well , not so huge. There are 550 Ramada's in the USA , last week our Ramada inspection ranked our hotel Number 1 in Quality Assurance score out of 550 hotels. Not bad for a 99 year old hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your time in San Diego, "America's finest city".

Reviewed June 20, 2010

Whenver I go to San Diego, I stay at the Ramada Inn in the Gaslamp district. Everytime it is perfect and extremely accommodating- this time was no different. Their employees are perfection and they truly look out for their customers. Even though the rooms are stinking small because it's an older hotel, my promise is that you will not go wrong if you choose to stay at this marvelous spot.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Guest , Thank you for your support and for your business.