We stayed 1 night at this property and loved the location. Yes, the room was small but it had a ceiling fan and that was nice. Yes, the elevators were horribly slow- there are only two and one was out of commission. On a historical note, they are the original elevators from like 1916, so they were small and slow and you could see the floors go by- charming, if you like that sort of thing- still - a "quaint" touch. Walking up the stairs to our room was like a maze, the stairs didn't go straight up or even serpentine but had to wander around to find the next set- just another "charming" detail for this older hotel. All of this I understand and appreciate, it is an old hotel after all. My husband and I paid cash for the room and gave the clerk a cash deposit of $100.00 with a receipt that said - DEPOSIT. When I went to check out, apparently the clerk did something wrong and did not note we paid the room fee plus the deposit fee. The manager WOULD NOT REFUND OUR $100.00. He refused to call the clerk who was off that day and ask her if we gave her two $100.00 bills. He all but called us liars when we were very specific on the cash we gave the clerk just the previous afternoon and he REFUSED to apologize or even admit that his staff was at fault preferring to let us make a scene at the counter where people were coming in to check-in. His attitude was not one of customer service. His only offer was that the next day when the controller came in, he would check the deposit or something and then mail us a check for the $100.00. San Diego was the start of our vacation and we had been saving up for it for awhile. His inablity to resolve the situation to the customer's satisfaction, caused us to cancel our plans for that day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This boutique style hotel is centrally located in San Diego's exciting Gaslamp Quarter. We invite you to step back in time to the elegant comforts, friendly hospitality and impeccable service of a bygone era. Opened in 1913 as the St. James Hotel, San Diego's original high-rise luxury hotel, our beautifully restored property is an oasis of historic style for leisure and business travelers. We are 6 1/2 blocks from San Diego's waterfront convention center. It's a pleasant 7 minute walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Wyndham, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Inn & Suites Gaslamp/ Hotel San Diego
- Ramada Inn And Suites Gaslamp/Convention Center
- Ramada Inn San Diego
- Ramada San Diego