“Nice location- Terrible manager, incompetent staff-DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #164 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice location- Terrible manager, incompetent staff-DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed 1 night at this property and loved the location. Yes, the room was small but it had a ceiling fan and that was nice. Yes, the elevators were horribly slow- there are only two and one was out of commission. On a historical note, they are the original elevators from like 1916, so they were small and slow and you could see the floors go by- charming, if you like that sort of thing- still - a "quaint" touch. Walking up the stairs to our room was like a maze, the stairs didn't go straight up or even serpentine but had to wander around to find the next set- just another "charming" detail for this older hotel. All of this I understand and appreciate, it is an old hotel after all. My husband and I paid cash for the room and gave the clerk a cash deposit of $100.00 with a receipt that said - DEPOSIT. When I went to check out, apparently the clerk did something wrong and did not note we paid the room fee plus the deposit fee. The manager WOULD NOT REFUND OUR $100.00. He refused to call the clerk who was off that day and ask her if we gave her two $100.00 bills. He all but called us liars when we were very specific on the cash we gave the clerk just the previous afternoon and he REFUSED to apologize or even admit that his staff was at fault preferring to let us make a scene at the counter where people were coming in to check-in. His attitude was not one of customer service. His only offer was that the next day when the controller came in, he would check the deposit or something and then mail us a check for the $100.00. San Diego was the start of our vacation and we had been saving up for it for awhile. His inablity to resolve the situation to the customer's satisfaction, caused us to cancel our plans for that day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2010
Dear Guest, We are truly sorry for the confusion. Traditionally guests leave a credit card on file with the hotel for any incidental charges i.e. room service, telephone etc. Guests unwilling or unable to do that are required by most hotels to post a refundable cash deposit to cover any incidental charges. This is an occasional but not frequent occurrence. Having not done this too often the clerk forgot to give you a receipt for your cash deposit. When you checked out the next day, since no receipt was written at check in , the new crew had no knowledge or record of your deposit. The manager explained it would require the controllers audit of all the day before transactions to identify your deposit. He promised to mail you a check that day and call you with audit results. Later that day an audit did discover your undocumented cash deposit , the manager called you again to apologize for our mistake and promptly mailed your refund check. The clerk felt terrible for her oversight, the manager felt bad about all shouting ,accusations and unpleasantness that took place in the lobby in front of all the other hotel guests. We can only hope you encountered no other inconveniences during your stay in San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. Louis
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This was my second trip back to this hotel and once again I was delighted! Located directly in the downtown gaslamp district in San Diego I was able to walk to tons of restaurants, bars and shopping. If you are without a car this is the only place you want to be (I had a car too). A quaint historic hotel always puts me in a mind set of “how it was” yet still offers everything any hotel offers including a fantastic 24 hour restaurant and pub. I had a super view from my room of the city and the harbor. Great staff, great bed, great service, great location, what more could one ask?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for kind words. We do have a great location and a great caring staff. I'll share your comments with them. Thanks again .
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights had a great time staff very friendly room was pretty small european style but very clean but was hardly in it gaslamp area is great everything on your doorstep gutted i was only here 2 nights would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Dear Guest, thanks for the great observations. The hotel does have the best location downtown . We used to advise guests "for directions to the Gaslamp Quarter, go out the front door" . We actually do have five room type sizes, some are huge,some not so . Our joke is our smallest room is 25% larger than you average Paris Hotel room. Thank you again for visiting San Diego "America's finest city" .
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I stayed for a business trip and admittedly did not spend too much time in the hotel. However, while my room on the fifth floor was small, without closets and had older fixtures (as mentioned in other reviews), I came expecting these--given that the facility is a historic hotel. More importantly, the room was clean, the floor was quiet and staff very friendly. The location is very good for access to the ballpark, Gaslamp district and convention center. I'm not sure I would spend my family vacation here but for a quick or business trip, it was a good value and I would consider it again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Ramada. We do have the best location downtown and we try to remain Gaslamp's best hotel value. Most folks don't realize we actually have 5 room sizes, some huge, some,well , not so huge. There are 550 Ramada's in the USA , last week our Ramada inspection ranked our hotel Number 1 in Quality Assurance score out of 550 hotels. Not bad for a 99 year old hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your time in San Diego, "America's finest city".
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Whenver I go to San Diego, I stay at the Ramada Inn in the Gaslamp district. Everytime it is perfect and extremely accommodating- this time was no different. Their employees are perfection and they truly look out for their customers. Even though the rooms are stinking small because it's an older hotel, my promise is that you will not go wrong if you choose to stay at this marvelous spot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest , Thank you for your support and for your business.
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I went to San Diego for the Dodgers/Padres game and saw this hotel on Expedia. I was really just looking for a decent/cheap place to sleep after post-game partying. The hotel itself is in a really cool location, very centrally located in the Gas Lamp and walking distance from Petco Park. It's an old looking building that you can't miss (big-red-brick-building). We arrived at 3pm and were informed that our rooms were not clean yet, but they'd be ready in about 30-40 minutes. No biggy- we left and walked to a local outdoor shopping mall and hung out there for about an hour. Walked back and were told our room wouldn't be ready for another 40 minutes. Come on! After a brief complaint, our room magically became ready.

The rooms are old and small (exposed pipes, radiant heater, old tile bathroom, etc.) but I wasn't expecting anything grand- it's a historic hotel! The elevators are the old style, you open the door and pull back a sliding gate- please keep your hands inside the elevator at all times. Be prepared to wait for an available elevator for awhile, since they are very slow (I can't remember if there is only one elevator or two).

The rooftop lounge area is really cool and was the best part of the hotel. Great views and there are tables and lounge chairs if you want to hang out up there. There is a decent restaurant/bar downstairs, next to the lobby. It's open 24 hours and it gets pretty busy. I walked in there with a glass coke in my hand around 4pm- just to see if I could grab a to-go menu for after the game. The bartender promptly yelled at me for walking in with a glass in my hand. Sorry! We actually got food to-go from the restaurant around 1140pm. The place was packed and I saw a drunk guy throw up onto the floor by his table. Classy.

Worst customer service part of the night- my friends and I got stuck in the lobby, between the lobby floor and I'm guessing the basement level for 20 minutes! It was really hot in that elevator- as there is no ventilation. When they were finally able to free us, the guy at the front desk didn't want anything to do with us. I was not asking for a free room- but at least give us something the for inconvenience- like a restaurant coupon, a free drink, no charge for their ridiculous parking fee- anything!

Bottom line- had the service been a little better here- this would actually be a decent place to stay and I would return for future trips and baseball games. I will now spend the extra money and go stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, We are sorry your stay with us was not all you wished it to be. I did check the elevator computer log and well any time spent in a stuck elevator seems like an eternity the log shows the elevator was stuck for 12 minutes from the time it stopped until the staff restarted it. The computer log also shows the reason the elevator stopped was the inside cab door was opened before the car had come to a complete stop. While the elevators are old and cranky at times, this is an intentional built in safety feature . As far as interaction with the bartender , there are only two of them and neither can recall the incident , but both pointed out strictly enforced state liquor laws prevent outside liquor from being brought into a restaurant bar . The hotel's restaurant Brian's is indeed a very poplular Gaslamp place.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Manitoba
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I stayed here on business in the third week of April 2010.

The room is small - queen bed, chair, dresser, TV, side table, sink, clothes rack and bag rack - but I wasn't cramped. I actually thought it was great for my needs. Bathroom has a toilet and shower.

The room was very clean and stocked with plenty of towels and the usual toiletries.

I loved the roof. One is invited to bring your own drink to the indoor/outdoor carpeted roof where there are tables and chairs. The 360 degree views of the city are absolutely incomparable. It was a serene, beautiful place for a nightcap.

Front desk personnel were always friendly, engaging and eager to help with directions. The elevators are unique and original. Perhaps they are a little challenging. The hotel is only ten floors and I was on the fifth. Lazy me would take the elevator up to my room or the roof and then take the stairs down. The hallways are completed with a thick, luxurious carpet that are easy to walk on and absorbing of sound. I kept my window open at night because I enjoyed listening to the city in the evening. Free wireless in my room was appreciated.

This hotel is easy walking distance to the convention center, Petco Park, Horton Plaza, bars and restaurants. I really enjoyed the Ramada as a business traveler.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank familytravel2and3
victorleeSanDiego, public relations manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Dear valued guest, Thank you for taking the time to pen such a detailed nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed our "roof top oasis" in the city.
Next time you're in town we have this cool new Book It Now button on Trip Advisor which allows you to book the best rate possible right from Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again in San Diego. Be well