“great hotel fab location”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #168 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great hotel fab location”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights had a great time staff very friendly room was pretty small european style but very clean but was hardly in it gaslamp area is great everything on your doorstep gutted i was only here 2 nights would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Dear Guest, thanks for the great observations. The hotel does have the best location downtown . We used to advise guests "for directions to the Gaslamp Quarter, go out the front door" . We actually do have five room type sizes, some are huge,some not so . Our joke is our smallest room is 25% larger than you average Paris Hotel room. Thank you again for visiting San Diego "America's finest city" .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I stayed for a business trip and admittedly did not spend too much time in the hotel. However, while my room on the fifth floor was small, without closets and had older fixtures (as mentioned in other reviews), I came expecting these--given that the facility is a historic hotel. More importantly, the room was clean, the floor was quiet and staff very friendly. The location is very good for access to the ballpark, Gaslamp district and convention center. I'm not sure I would spend my family vacation here but for a quick or business trip, it was a good value and I would consider it again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Ramada. We do have the best location downtown and we try to remain Gaslamp's best hotel value. Most folks don't realize we actually have 5 room sizes, some huge, some,well , not so huge. There are 550 Ramada's in the USA , last week our Ramada inspection ranked our hotel Number 1 in Quality Assurance score out of 550 hotels. Not bad for a 99 year old hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your time in San Diego, "America's finest city".
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Whenver I go to San Diego, I stay at the Ramada Inn in the Gaslamp district. Everytime it is perfect and extremely accommodating- this time was no different. Their employees are perfection and they truly look out for their customers. Even though the rooms are stinking small because it's an older hotel, my promise is that you will not go wrong if you choose to stay at this marvelous spot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest , Thank you for your support and for your business.
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I went to San Diego for the Dodgers/Padres game and saw this hotel on Expedia. I was really just looking for a decent/cheap place to sleep after post-game partying. The hotel itself is in a really cool location, very centrally located in the Gas Lamp and walking distance from Petco Park. It's an old looking building that you can't miss (big-red-brick-building). We arrived at 3pm and were informed that our rooms were not clean yet, but they'd be ready in about 30-40 minutes. No biggy- we left and walked to a local outdoor shopping mall and hung out there for about an hour. Walked back and were told our room wouldn't be ready for another 40 minutes. Come on! After a brief complaint, our room magically became ready.

The rooms are old and small (exposed pipes, radiant heater, old tile bathroom, etc.) but I wasn't expecting anything grand- it's a historic hotel! The elevators are the old style, you open the door and pull back a sliding gate- please keep your hands inside the elevator at all times. Be prepared to wait for an available elevator for awhile, since they are very slow (I can't remember if there is only one elevator or two).

The rooftop lounge area is really cool and was the best part of the hotel. Great views and there are tables and lounge chairs if you want to hang out up there. There is a decent restaurant/bar downstairs, next to the lobby. It's open 24 hours and it gets pretty busy. I walked in there with a glass coke in my hand around 4pm- just to see if I could grab a to-go menu for after the game. The bartender promptly yelled at me for walking in with a glass in my hand. Sorry! We actually got food to-go from the restaurant around 1140pm. The place was packed and I saw a drunk guy throw up onto the floor by his table. Classy.

Worst customer service part of the night- my friends and I got stuck in the lobby, between the lobby floor and I'm guessing the basement level for 20 minutes! It was really hot in that elevator- as there is no ventilation. When they were finally able to free us, the guy at the front desk didn't want anything to do with us. I was not asking for a free room- but at least give us something the for inconvenience- like a restaurant coupon, a free drink, no charge for their ridiculous parking fee- anything!

Bottom line- had the service been a little better here- this would actually be a decent place to stay and I would return for future trips and baseball games. I will now spend the extra money and go stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2010
Dear Guest, We are sorry your stay with us was not all you wished it to be. I did check the elevator computer log and well any time spent in a stuck elevator seems like an eternity the log shows the elevator was stuck for 12 minutes from the time it stopped until the staff restarted it. The computer log also shows the reason the elevator stopped was the inside cab door was opened before the car had come to a complete stop. While the elevators are old and cranky at times, this is an intentional built in safety feature . As far as interaction with the bartender , there are only two of them and neither can recall the incident , but both pointed out strictly enforced state liquor laws prevent outside liquor from being brought into a restaurant bar . The hotel's restaurant Brian's is indeed a very poplular Gaslamp place.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Manitoba
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I stayed here on business in the third week of April 2010.

The room is small - queen bed, chair, dresser, TV, side table, sink, clothes rack and bag rack - but I wasn't cramped. I actually thought it was great for my needs. Bathroom has a toilet and shower.

The room was very clean and stocked with plenty of towels and the usual toiletries.

I loved the roof. One is invited to bring your own drink to the indoor/outdoor carpeted roof where there are tables and chairs. The 360 degree views of the city are absolutely incomparable. It was a serene, beautiful place for a nightcap.

Front desk personnel were always friendly, engaging and eager to help with directions. The elevators are unique and original. Perhaps they are a little challenging. The hotel is only ten floors and I was on the fifth. Lazy me would take the elevator up to my room or the roof and then take the stairs down. The hallways are completed with a thick, luxurious carpet that are easy to walk on and absorbing of sound. I kept my window open at night because I enjoyed listening to the city in the evening. Free wireless in my room was appreciated.

This hotel is easy walking distance to the convention center, Petco Park, Horton Plaza, bars and restaurants. I really enjoyed the Ramada as a business traveler.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank familytravel2and3
victorleeSanDiego, public relations manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Dear valued guest, Thank you for taking the time to pen such a detailed nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed our "roof top oasis" in the city.
Next time you're in town we have this cool new Book It Now button on Trip Advisor which allows you to book the best rate possible right from Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again in San Diego. Be well
Long Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My daughter and I took a mini-holiday to San Diego and selected this historic hotel in the gaslamp district. The hotel and attached restaurant had an atmosphere of the early 1900's. The hotel has the original elevators which are reminiscent of our trip to Europe and have the classic "gate" that you pull closed prior to movement. The rooms/bathrooms are small due to the age of the hotel but they were comfortable and clean. (My daughter and I are active so we primarily stay in hotel rooms to sleep/shower and spend the rest of the time seeing the sights.) The staff is friendly, courteous, and helpful. The hotel has a small exercise room. However, the hotel provides a guest pass to a local gym as well which is a short walk away. Finally, the panoramic view from the roof alone is worth the cost of the stay--absolutely outstanding.
If you enjoy experiencing a little bit of history and being within walking distance of the gaslamp district restaurants and shopping, this will be a really great hotel to stay.

• Stayed March 2010
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
Dear 2 some, Thank you for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed family time in "Finest City" .
Did you know the hotel was built the same year as the Titanic. And the movie producers rented the hotel's restaurant Brian's to cast all the extras for the movie. It was in August, a warm weekend .The lines went around the block. They stood for hours in line. The valets brought everyone water so they would not lose their place. We hope to see you again.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel over Mardi Gras for one night. The parking was a major hassle because they already had roads blocked off for the festivities. Once we got to the hotel everyone was very nice and helpful. The hotel is very old so the rooms were VERY small and yes, we only had one bed in the room, but I don't think I've ever been in a smaller hotel room. It didn't bother me because we weren't there to spend time in the hotel room. Despite the smallness, it was clean and comfortable ~ which is important to me. It was convenient to all sorts of stuff and never having been to San Diego, I thought it was great because you could walk and see all sorts of stuff. My favorite part of the hotel though was their rooftop terrace. We got some champagne from Bacchus Wine Market & Tasting Room (a great little wine shop a few blocks from the hotel ~ no need to get the random stuff at the convenience store) and drank it while we watched the sunset. It was an awesome place to get great views of the city. The have a decent restaurant on site but it was just basic bar food. I suggest walking to something better as there is so much close by.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeannine C
victorleeSanDiego, public relations manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear Florida, So glad you enjoyed the Gaslamp. When they start closing off the streets for events we are right in the middle of all the action. For directions to the Gaslamp, our answer has always been "Go out the front door!" . We do have many two bedded rooms ,they are actually two seperate rooms connected; two beds, two tv's ,two doors, one bath. Great for sharing. One person can watch Leno and the other can watch Letterman. We hope to see you again.