“Great for the price”

Ranked #163 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles
“Great for the price”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

The quality of the service at the front desk was hit and miss but overall average. We reserved a two bedroom (connected room). The elevator IS slow and the hotel might not be very handicapped friendly. The building is old but the furnishings, carpets and overall design is updated and fresh. If you don't mind stairs, there's also a rooftop that offers great views and nobody was ever up there which made it nice and private. HOT TIP::: If you want to bypass the elevator (which is the bigest pain at this hotel) , the lady at the front desk told me to reserve a lower floor next time!!

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank bravofamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mystic, CT
Reviewed November 30, 2006

Stayed here as I wanted to see exactly what the Gaslight District (and wanted to save $ vs. the convention hotel) provided even though my convention was at a waterfront hotel and a 15 minute walk.

The stay was very good. Directly in back of the hotel on 5th street and surrounding area there have to 40-50 restaurants of many types and variation of every ethnic food. While the requisite area includes a couple of Starbucks, there are also a couple of small tea house sand attached to the hotel is Brian's which was a very nice small restaurant that goes breakfast thru dinner.

Lobby and check in was very good. About a $12 cab ride from the airport. One of the 2 elevators was not in service and while the elevator is charming it is very slow. Still to walk down 4 flights of stairs every day is no big deal. Wifi is OK. They also have 2 computers on the 2nd floor for guests to use.

Room was good , not great. Small, but clean and nice. bathroom was shower only but very nice. iron and ironing board in room was convenient. For a visiting biz person, the room was fine, quiet as I had a back room and most importantly, it was clean.

Loved the gaslight district from walking out of it every morning and stopping at the local coffee shops to stopping for a drink on the way back. Very cool location brought this hotel into a very good visit. Checking out to grab a cab, there was a Ramada bus that whisked me to the airport and I saved $12 for the company !

Hotel costs for @$100 a night for the Ramada versus the convention hotel that was reduced to $219 was a major advantage .

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — small room
  • Tips/Secrets — get out and enjoy the Gaslight District
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank MysticKid
Victoria, BC
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I was a little nervous booking this hotel after reading these reviews, but since there way a city-wide convention during our planned weekend in SD, I was willing to book anyways, wanting a downtown/Gaslamp area hotel. Upon arrival, I was pleased to see the main foyer/reception was quite nice, almost elaborate. I quickly noticed it was very clean. The staff were pleasant and very helpful, it took no time at all to get checked in. We were on the first floor, so the elevators were not an issue, although I did want to check them out later.
Our room was indeed small, but very nice. In an hotel that's about a hundred years old, you have to expect quirks. The room had a very european feel to it, and it was also very clean, the decor and character was quite nice. The 12 foot ceilings open the room up, complete with a ceiling fan that provided good air flow without having to listen to the slight hum of the in-window air conditioning. The bathroom was clean and updated...no complaints there except it didn't have a bathtub for my wife. That's the only surprise we had.
The roof top patio was excellent...and also very clean with awesome views of San Diego and the surrounding areas. Yes, the elevators were slow, but unique, which further amplified the old character of this hotel.
Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing for a decent, clean place to stay within the Gaslamp District. I was impressed with the service and hospitality the staff exhibited. In fact, my wife and I have agreed, the next time we come to visit SD, we will be staying at the Ramada St. James Hotel.

• Liked — Location and Character
  • Disliked — Small Rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure your room has a bathtub if you want one
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bilinvic
new york city
Reviewed November 18, 2006

I stayed at this hotel with a friend for 3 nights. We were in town for a convention.

Pros:
-Gaslamp location, close to the convention center
-Internet access
-Large suites with televisions in each bedroom.

Cons:
-Old unrenovated building with old fixtures, slow elevators and dank feeling.
-Bathroom was visibly dirty when we checked in. However, the hotel staff immediately cleaned up when we complained.
-Layout was strange: two separate rooms with bathroom in hallway. The bathroom had only a toilet and a shower-- no sink! On top of that, only one of the bedrooms had a sink in it, so the person staying in the second room had to walk in to the other bedroom just to wash hands or brush teeth. So strange!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bathroom in sink
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank premster

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

bellingham
Reviewed October 4, 2006

Stayed here for 2 nights in Sept. The rooms were OK; separate rooms separated by a door. A little small, but a nice set-up for two adult friends wanting their own bed. The hotel tried to charge a much higher rate for the second night despite their original quote (luckily we had the original internet printout). But the worst was the valet experience. Not only do they charge $18/night, but when I left my car with the valet the first night, they specifically told me the $18 was good for 24 hrs. So when I picked up the car 20 hrs later, the valets then told me that I'd be charged another $18 because the clock reset at the 2pm checkout. They were willing to bring in management; I was running late to the airport, so I didn't have time to argue, but I was pissed to say the least. Two different instances of bait and switch - stay somewhere else.

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank calvin217
chicago, IL
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I stayed here because the Hotel Del Coronado was booked for the conference I was attending, I paid $196 and got a clean room, overpriced, not modern, but clean. It had an iron, and a computer connected to the internet with a printer on the 2nd floor. However, the valet was not around when I needed to go. Normally this would have been fine but I was late. The man behind the counter was kind enough to leave the front desk un-attended as others waited to find my car and get me going. Much appreciated. I wish his superiors had thought to put more than one person at the front desk for everyone else's sake. I am still trying to get an itemized copy of my bill from the management and am finding no love. I wouldn't stay here again, but it would have been acceptable for a $60/night place.

• Liked — location was great
  • Disliked — understaffed, small, ancient rooms. I had a view of a brick wall out my window
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay here. Motel 6 is cheaper and equal
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Saco, Maine
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Room was dank, dark, and musty, with exposed pipes on the ceiling and walls. Woke up one morning to find a cockroach in the bathroom.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Roaches in the bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away