“No sink in the bathroom!”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #165 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 18, 2006

I stayed at this hotel with a friend for 3 nights. We were in town for a convention.

Pros:
-Gaslamp location, close to the convention center
-Internet access
-Large suites with televisions in each bedroom.

Cons:
-Old unrenovated building with old fixtures, slow elevators and dank feeling.
-Bathroom was visibly dirty when we checked in. However, the hotel staff immediately cleaned up when we complained.
-Layout was strange: two separate rooms with bathroom in hallway. The bathroom had only a toilet and a shower-- no sink! On top of that, only one of the bedrooms had a sink in it, so the person staying in the second room had to walk in to the other bedroom just to wash hands or brush teeth. So strange!

1  Thank premster

Reviewed October 4, 2006

Stayed here for 2 nights in Sept. The rooms were OK; separate rooms separated by a door. A little small, but a nice set-up for two adult friends wanting their own bed. The hotel tried to charge a much higher rate for the second night despite their original quote (luckily we had the original internet printout). But the worst was the valet experience. Not only do they charge $18/night, but when I left my car with the valet the first night, they specifically told me the $18 was good for 24 hrs. So when I picked up the car 20 hrs later, the valets then told me that I'd be charged another $18 because the clock reset at the 2pm checkout. They were willing to bring in management; I was running late to the airport, so I didn't have time to argue, but I was pissed to say the least. Two different instances of bait and switch - stay somewhere else.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank calvin217
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I stayed here because the Hotel Del Coronado was booked for the conference I was attending, I paid $196 and got a clean room, overpriced, not modern, but clean. It had an iron, and a computer connected to the internet with a printer on the 2nd floor. However, the valet was not around when I needed to go. Normally this would have been fine but I was late. The man behind the counter was kind enough to leave the front desk un-attended as others waited to find my car and get me going. Much appreciated. I wish his superiors had thought to put more than one person at the front desk for everyone else's sake. I am still trying to get an itemized copy of my bill from the management and am finding no love. I wouldn't stay here again, but it would have been acceptable for a $60/night place.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Room was dank, dark, and musty, with exposed pipes on the ceiling and walls. Woke up one morning to find a cockroach in the bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We went with a group of friends for a 30th birthday during St Patty's day. We stayed in the 2 suites located on the top floor. Our rooms were a good size for all of us. Spa tubs and a full size kitchen, huge TV in the front room. VERY relaxing. We had access to the rooftop which over looked the Gaslamp quarters, I believe we spent most of our nights up there. You could see the St Patty's festival and it overlooks the Petco Stadium. We absolutely enjoyed our stay there except for 2 things....
1) the elevator....VERY VERY slow, they were once the fastest running elevator now they could be the slowest running elevators. But our group liked to be competitve so we would race up the stairs to our room on the tenth floor. And after a few drinks at their very friendly restaurant on site your oxygen level was tested :)
2) The thin doors... you could hear everything if you slept in the front room. I was actually in the back room so I heard nothing but the other members of our group couldn't sleep.
Overall. stay here if you go with a group of people. The suites are worth it.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I met up here for a bachelor party in late June with 8 friends...and had a very nice stay.

Positives:

Rooftop access offers an incredible view of the city...wonderful place for friends to gather for a few drinks and conversation on a nice night (which is quite common in San Diego, of course)

Hotel restaurant was excellent! Food was superb and reasonably priced. Service was excellent (well, at least 3 out of 4 times)

Location is great! Walking distance to the ocean (about 15 mins), Petco Park (incredible!...highly recommend catching a game), and the rest of the GasLamp is right out your front door

Classic ambiance of the hotel. Definitely had an older feel to it, but I found it very refreshing in comparison to the newer, "nicer" hotels that lack character. Even the elevator, complained about below, added to its character.

Negatives:

Rooms are quite small

Yes, the elevator is very slow, and it takes a long time to climb the stairs due to their set-up (but consider it your work-out while away from home!)

Parking is expensive

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheTenaciousTraveler
Reviewed July 24, 2006

nasty!

the elevator was creepy looked like there was barf on the walls...got to my room and it was nasty...smelled all musty....didn't even want to sit on the pot...didnt take a shower cause the shower was gross...didn't even want to brush my teeth in the room...i can't believe i paid $139 for a damn room....paid another
$18 for valet parking and it wasnt even really valet parking! they just handed me the keys the next morning and i had to walk to the parking lot and get my own car!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple