“BED BUGS!!!!”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #165 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 4, 2008

THIS PLACE IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
The government HAD this hotel on it's list of places that accept its per diem. We checked in late and awoke to HUNDREDS of blood sucking bed bugs crawling all over our pillows and sheets. There were blood spots all over the bed.

The people that worked in the hotel came to the room and said, VERBATIM, "Ew. Sorry. Yeah, those are bed bugs. We'll move you to another room and take care of you."

They moved us to another room where we found MORE bed bugs. When I asked them to sterilize our things, they gave us grief. The people that work here are not very accommodating AT ALL. We were charged FULL PRICE and were COVERED in bites for weeks. It was misery.

We were so disturbed by this that we didn't sleep for DAYS. When we got home, we freaked out about the possibility of bringing them home with us. We RE-Sterilized everything. Luckily, we haven't seen any...but if we do...OMG.

We were utterly disgusted when we got the bill (though the gov't was paying) and it was FULL PRICE. Not ONLY did they NOT take care of us like they said, they ruined some of our clothes, we had freaking BED BUGS and they were not friendly when we very kindly and patiently asked them to help us out with our stuff.

This place is an absolute nightmare and should be torn down. The government is now taking it off the list of places they will send their employees.
The elevator is so inconvenient and takes FOREVER. HATE THIS PLACE.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Spicymeatball
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

Dear Guest Every hotel at one time or another will have a bed bug incident. They ( the critters) arrive on the luggage of hotel guests. Since every hotel has guests with luggage , every hotel is vulnerable to this problem. How a hotel handles this problem is important. These little critters can’t be handled with a can of bug spay, it take professional extermination to correct the problem. The room where they were discovered must be treated as well as guest rooms on either side. Rooms must be stripped, mattresses , linen disposed of. It’s quite an extensive and expensive process when done by professionals and done properly. Hotels have to have good house keeping practices also . Maids carts and vacuum cleaners should be kept on individual floors to ensure if a problem is discovered it doesn’t spread to other hotel areas. At some point every hotel will experience probably this problem, how the hotel handles it is the more important issue.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed September 9, 2008

I stayed at the Ramada along with 20 or so of my out-of-town guests who came to San Diego for my wedding. As if I didn’t have enough going on to be stressed about, we had multiple problems with the hotel including a tub that backed up whenever we or anyone else on our floor took a shower; this caused our room to smell of sewage and left us without a shower to use. Being that the hotel was old and things like that just happen, I would have been somewhat understanding had the staff tried to accommodate us. Be ware – if you stay here and have any problems, the staff is completely incompetent and will not assist you in any meaningful way. There wasn’t senior management available to discuss our issues and the front desk manager that was there basically said he couldn’t do anything for us. Other issues included our guests being charged incorrect rates, unauthorized charges to guests’ credit cards, and the hotel telling guests that the airport shuttle would take over an hour to pick them up from the airport.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank stuckinAZ
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Ok, it's central, they can have that. If you are looking for a place close to nightclubs and dining areas this is as close as you get. It's situated in San Diego's Gas Lamp district. However our stay was terrible. Even as we physically made our reservations the day before we were to check in and had paid, they managed to get it all wrong and the rates to the room increased and we didn't get the rooms we booked at all. The staff was acting very rude (part from one guy that seemed embarrased of the whole thing). The rooms we got wasn't even clean.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2008

First of all, when you book by Hotwire you'll save some money but you will not be a priority for a nice room. I got this for $115 a night on Hotwire and was placed in a very small room near maid's closets with a view of a wall. The phone, air conditioner and hairdryer all had functioning problems. The location is good for getting to Gaslamp district (which is mostly restaurants and bars by the way, with a mall a couple of blocks away). This hotel is very old and I heard other people comment on the "creepy" elevators and rooms as kind of a joke... it's OK, but if you're looking for luxury it's not going to be it. If you get a really good price then so much the better.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My Husband and I were on a quick romantic getaway for the weekend and found this hotel absolutely charming!!! We both travel extensivley, domestic and international and were still quite pleased. The rooms are small but have character to spare, the elevator is certainly not swift but who cares its an old hotel that sees value in history. Just relax and enjoy.
Th rooftop porch is beautifull with an amazing view and the resteraunt is pretty good too. Everything you could want is within walking distance as are the trolley and a very good public bus system.
If the noise is bothersome than you shouldn't be staying in the Gaslamp at all and the hotel has you sign an acknowledgment that you are in an "entertainment zone" so you cant say you weren't warned.
The staff was wonderful, we couldn't have been happier

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Stayed here for two nights in mid-June 2008. I chose this hotel because I was looking to stay in Gaslamp Quarter and this hotel was the least expensive at the time.

The rooms were very small (reminded me of San Francisco or London hotels) and the shower was quite tiny as well (I am 5 foot 2 and could not move around in the shower). But, everything worked just fine and the room was very clean. The bed was comfortable and I slept very well both nights. The air conditioner was a window unit that made noise even when turned off (probably filtered the noise from the street). It actually helped me sleep because I could not hear the noise from bars all around Gaslamp Quarter. Note that anywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter is loud - you don't stay there to relax; you stay there so you can go out at night and not have to drive back to the hotel.

Parking is valet-only, at $20 per day (plus tips of course) which included in-and-out privileges. I found valet experience to be quite good and the price is reasonable for a downtown hotel. They parked the car somewhere off site and asked for a ten-minute lead time to retrieve it. That is not a long time to wait for a valet and they actually ask you to call in advance! Very nice of them.

Regarding prior reviews of laptops being stolen from the truck, who leaves laptops in a truck of a valeted car? And for that matter, who gives valet a key that can open the trunk? Be reasonable and your travel experience will be better for it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I am on a mission to share my experience incase I can help anyone from the same thing happening at this dump in the future.
This location has no available parking and you must valet unless you park at someone elses off site location.
May 30, 2008 a friday night I regretfully stayed here last minute. (the rooms are crap as well, thankfully it was only one night)Saturday at noon I was too busy watching the valet forget to set me E break and have the car roll into another, that i did not notice my laptop and laptop bag and a other items within it were all STOLEN out of my trunk.
FOR LESS THAN 24 HOURS THIS CHEAP/CRAPPY HOTEL HAD MY KEYS AND CAR AND WHEN RETURNED, ITEMS ARE MISSING. DOESN;T TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT WHO MAY HAVE BEEN WORKING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
And to make matters worse, NOTHING was done NOTHING!!!!!!!!! One manager passed me to another to another with no answers finally saying I will hear from the GM. BUT i NEVER did.

People, there are a handfull of Crappy cheap last minute hotels, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS ONE unless you are asking to be royally screwed!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo