“worst hotel experience I've ever had!”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #163 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I will admit the staff was very courteous, however the accommodations were pretty horrific! From the minute I opened the door to our tiny 12x12 room, the first thing we saw was a roach storm across the floor. The portable wall AC didn't even work well, luckily it was a warm weekend and the heater was so ancient I didn't dare to mess with the gas line for sake of avoiding any leaks! I also had to request for a small refrigerator at an additional charge of $10 per day because their rooms "don't come with refrigerators". The walls were so thin that you could hear the neighbors conversations! And although I've stayed in old hotels that focus on preserving their historic value, this one was a total nightmare...literally! I'm convinced that we experienced a paranormal encounter. If you're into that great, if not well good luck!

Room Tip: The rooms aren't any bigger than a walk-in closet..never again!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Guest, The refrigerator I understand , "storming " cockroaches? ok I love a good literary description was well as the next guy. But the whole paranormal thing has me at a loss . A past guest? a long gone Trip Advisor reviewer come back to haunt us. ;} . did you know the hotel was built the year the Titanic sank . Wyatt Earp actually ran a gaming parlor where the restaurant is . All True . Hope to see you a gain.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I loved my four night stay at this hotel. The area is so fun and active and this hotel is a short walk to the convention center, the Padres stadium, the trolley and the bay. I wish breakfast would have been included but there is a fine restaurant in the hotel and many fine breakfast spots close by. The rooms are small but the hotel is historic and features the first elevators in the state! I think the staff of the hotel was about the friendliest I have encountered. Also the top of the hotel is open to go out on and see the city from a great vantage point. Only thing was the window air conditioners are not as efficient as modern hotel's air circulation so the rooms smell stuffy until you run the air for a while

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Dear Guest, We're glad your stay was an enjoyable one .We hope you return soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this establishment in January 2014. The staff at this hotel are friendly, courteous, and provide outstanding customer service. My room was clean and neat. Friday and Saturday nights were noisy due to the location, but noise doesn't really bother me. The only problem I had was that the door to my room was left propped open after being cleaned one day, which the staff were quick to address. Overall, I enjoyed staying at this location and would recommend this location to others.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest , We're so glad your stay was an enjoyable one . The staff reads every review. You will make their day. Thanks again.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I just stayed at the Ramada Gaslamp for a quick girls' getaway. My friend and I rented a room with two beds (it was actually two separate rooms with a door in between, a nice setup. The rooms were small, yes, as was customary for hotels designed 100 years ago when this one was built. But they were also very clean, the beds (including recently replaced mattresses and pillows) were extremely comfortable, and the room featured modern amenities like a flat panel TV, safe, hairdryer, bathroom amenities, and in-room coffee. The bathroom was small, but contained a full-sized tub and shower, plus plenty of towels. I did not notice an excessive amount of noise as others have reported. The only troubling thing about the room was that the windows looked out onto giant "window wells" and it was impossible to tell what the weather was outside.

The best things about staying at this hotel, however, were the extremely helpful/friendly staff and the amazing location right in the heart of everything. The Ramada is literally within walking distance of probably 100 excellent restaurants, pubs, bars, nightclubs, cafes, coffee shops, wine bars, and quite possibly the best assortment of happy hours I've ever seen in such a compact area (my favorite was at the Hopping Pig about a block away). It's also easy walking distance to the local transit system, which (for a $5 all-day pass) will take you anywhere you want to go via bus, trolley, or train. Alex at the front desk was able to recommend several great restaurants (and mentioned a few we should also stay away from), and even had discount cards for a few establishments. His afternoon counterpart, Kaelen, was also helpful when we needed directions or ideas for our next stop.

On a practical level, the Ramada offers a free (and very quick) airport shuttle, and there is a good 24-hour restaurant right off the lobby. (If you go there, don't miss the banana-stuffed french toast.) The hotel has free wi-fi, a business center with computers and printing, and an awesome 11th-floor rooftop deck with sweeping, 360-degree views of the entire city. Yes, the elevators are a little funky - if they creep you out ask for a room on a lower floor. But we got used to them quickly.

Overall we had a great experience at the Ramada and I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Room 310 is very quiet, and - with two beds in separate rooms - great for friends traveling together...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TMJplus1
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review , I could not have written a better one myself. Do you have any sisters? ;} thank you for the informative well written positive review. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We attended a conference at the convention center, and enjoyed the three-quarter mile walk back and forth to the hotel. There were no hills, and it was an easy walk in comfortable temperatures in December.

Hotel itself is an old landmark that been renovated. It had all the conveniences you would normally expect: coffee in the room, hairdryer, shampoo etc. While the room was small, it was still very comfortable with more than enough space for our needs. There were also plenty of convenient electrical outlets. Many Ramada's have a continental breakfast; unfortunately, this one did not. On the other hand, there was a Subway restaurant on the walk to the convention center, and their breakfast meals were very reasonable so it wasn't a problem for us.

If it's important to you, the room did not have either a microwave or refrigerator, but it did have an in-room safe.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your views. We are the close alternative to the big convention hotels, just a short walk and you're there . Glad you enjoyed your stay ,we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014