“VALET THIEVES!!!! Management doesnt even care”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #164 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I am on a mission to share my experience incase I can help anyone from the same thing happening at this dump in the future.
This location has no available parking and you must valet unless you park at someone elses off site location.
May 30, 2008 a friday night I regretfully stayed here last minute. (the rooms are crap as well, thankfully it was only one night)Saturday at noon I was too busy watching the valet forget to set me E break and have the car roll into another, that i did not notice my laptop and laptop bag and a other items within it were all STOLEN out of my trunk.
FOR LESS THAN 24 HOURS THIS CHEAP/CRAPPY HOTEL HAD MY KEYS AND CAR AND WHEN RETURNED, ITEMS ARE MISSING. DOESN;T TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE OUT WHO MAY HAVE BEEN WORKING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
And to make matters worse, NOTHING was done NOTHING!!!!!!!!! One manager passed me to another to another with no answers finally saying I will hear from the GM. BUT i NEVER did.

People, there are a handfull of Crappy cheap last minute hotels, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS ONE unless you are asking to be royally screwed!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed May 18, 2008

I wanted to stay here because it was a hotel with some character and history and a great location. I was given a dark postage stamp sized room with no outside windows. Although the hotel was basically full, I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor, thanks to the very nice staff, Jacob, Stacey, and (I guess) the manager. Still a bit noisy, not everything worked, but the view was magnificent. The elevators were worthy of a review of their own. It would be perfect if the hotel was renovated and they had a quicker, larger alternative elevator that didn't attack you and charm you at the same time.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband was attending the Solid Works Convention in San Diego and the hotel accommodations were booked through the company. Upon looking at the hotel's website, I was impressed so we booked 2 nights before the convention. The hotel lobby was immaculate, but the front desk agent was bland. The 1913 elevators were a unique feature. The hotel room was tiny, I missed the room floorplans on the hotel website. I did not recall anywhere on the website stating AC is from window units. Our first room was on the 3rd floor, facing another building which was very disappointing since the site features such beautiful room views. The AC unit started making loud noises throughout the night, and the furnace leaked. We notified the front desk and she wrote up a work order. This front desk agent was wonderful, she told us about Cafe 222 and their delicious Pumpkin Pie Waffle! She also suggested the Old Trolley Tours (which was great!) and offered to make us dinner reservations. Unfortunately, during the night the problems from our AC started again and we had a 2nd sleepless night. The window couldn't even be opened due to the window unit, so we couldn't get fresh air either. We requested a room change, the 8th floor was a much better room choice (although still tiny). Overall, our trip to San Diego was much more enjoyable than our hotel experience.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed March 20, 2008

The word for this hotel would be "charming". I recently stayed there for a convention and overall it was satisfactory. The elevator was so slow that we usually took the steps (one was broken). The staff friendly. The restruant next door is amazing. The location is great. The rooms were small, the shower filled with water during my shower, as did the sink. Since I didn't spend much time in my room, not a big deal. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. If you are looking for a room close to everything, that you won't be spending time in, at an affordable rate this is your place!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2008

My girlfriend and I have stayed at this Hotel 3 times before and never had a problem until this last stay. We choose the Ramada because of the price and location. Hotel could be more updated, I guess, but the building is very old so I just let that slide. The elevator, for example, is very old but also interestingly historic.

Anyway, the only bad experience I had was Valentine's weekend 2008. I always have read negative reviews of good hotels in the Gaslamp District due simply to the noise of nearby clubs and bars.

Well, as I signed for the room, I had to initial by certain sentences of this little contract that where highlighted. One stuck out where the hotel pretty much said "We are not responsible for your dissatisfaction with your room due to outside noise," or something close to that. Having stayed there a few times before, I honestly don't remember ever seeing that before. I didn't sweat it since there were no clubs immediately nearby, so I signed away.

We go up to the room. Like anyone, I look out to see our view and it's a view of the front street, 6th street. Never had a room in the front of the hotel before. The building across was in the process of being torn down, I thought, "Oh, great... this is why I had to sign that noise clause" but luckily the workers had the weekend off. It wasn't till 10:45pm when we got back to the hotel that we heard the loud Jungle music coming from who knows where down stairs. We were on the 6th floor but this music was loud. It had to be coming from the club on the corner. I could not believe how loud it was!

Luckily we were, ahem, drunk enough to passout and not endure too much of the racket. The hotel was also kind enough to bless us with a 2pm checkout.

I would still stay at the Ramada, I just will never stay in a room facing the front street.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I booked the Ramada Gaslamp Hotel to attend a concert at the House of Blues (2 blocks down) through Hotwire, weekday, for $88 including tax. Hotwire has it as a 3 star, but it is more like a 2.5 stars.

The facility was an old hotel with tiny hallways, a very old lift/elevator, but it is centrally located close to Petco, Convention Center, and Horton Plaza.

The standard room had a nice soft and clean bed, yet there wasnt more than 5 feet of space on both sides of the bed. The restroom sink is outside the bathroom and in fron of the bed, with a shower stall, no bathtub, and the toilet, pretty standard.

The room was a bit old but clean and there was not a bad scent. There we many cable channels on the TV which was good, and they had free internet service. $20 valet parking services with in/out privileges was not bad.

Overall I think it is an ok hotel considering the price if you are staying for 1-2 nights. I dont think the hotel is kid friendly because of the limited space.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2008

The experience was a scary one for me. I'm not saying this to be mean. It's the truth. The layout of the rooms themselves were extremely odd. I don't know if it was just our room or what, but it was strange. The hotel is old. There are some hotels that, with age, gain character and charm. This isn't necessarily one of those hotels
There were small bugs on our sink, which were visible to the naked eye without close inspection. The elevator is fun, but too small. The view from the roof is amazing at night. I will definitely say that. The valet service is slow and understaffed. At first, I kept reminding myself it wasn't their fault they were understaffed, but then the valets themselves turned out to be rude and totally unattentive to all of the guests waiting. I definitely had a problem with that.

I really hate to write so many negative things about this hotel, but I feel like the staff did nothing to contribute to any type of good experience during the entire length of our stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family