“The staff was friendly and Johnny-on-the-spot. The hotel...”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #159 of 279 Hotels in San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Redlands
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was very pleased with Ramada Gaslamp. I definitely plan on staying here again, and I'd recommend it to all of my friends and family, especially those who enjoy hotels with charm and history.

The valet attendants work very hard and quickly. But I might recommend that Ramada hire several more, if possible, to help their staff out and to speed up the wait for guests checking in and out. Then, I wouldn't feel so sad paying $20 for parking (yes, I know other hotels in the area charge the same or more, but still).

The rooms are nice and simple. They are very small, but hey, it's a historic hotel! Plus, who needs a huge room? You're in Gaslamp, so you shouldn't be spending much time in your room! I also thought the bed was extremely comfortable and I had a great night's sleep, even with the level of noise from the drinkers out on the streets, but again, I can't complain about that since it's Gaslamp!

The two elevators are small and slow, but they're historic and used to be the fastest in the world, which is awesome.

The free wi-fi is fast and easy to use with your own computers and/or with the computers provided on several floors for guests to use.

And Brian's, the 24-hour restaurant, was nice for stopping in for drinks and food. There are so many options in the area, that I might not typically eat at a place like Brian's, but I thought it was pretty good. And the pancakes really are the best! It was a convenient, friendly, and tasty place to have right in the lobby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Lauren B
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you for the review. Our parking charges are the lowest in the Gaslamp area , we're $20 a night, everyone else is up over $30 to up to $36 a night . Peak wait times for your car at a hotel will be Sat and Sunday before noon as that's when everyone is checking out and the valets are running but hopefully driving slowly back to the hotel. During those peak times it's possible to wait 20 minutes for a car. And alas good valets are a treasure to find , think about it we want them to be honest, polite, cheerful , responsible, and careful drivers with a clean driving record and to do it all for not a lot of pay. Think tips .... Thank you again for your support.
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel on a recent visit to San Diego. The location is great! (if your wanting to be in gaslamp quarter). Right in the middle of all the restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, harbor. Only annoying thing was every am housekeeping would call our room and wake us up to ask if we wanted our room clean. I'm sorry, but if it's the weekend in the gaslamp quarter, chances are your guests have been out the night before and calling their room at 9 am to ask if want it cleaned, even though the do not disturb sign is on the door, is not ok. Also, the day we checked out we had to catch an extremely early flight and as a back up, asked for a 3:45 am wake up call. Good thing we had woke up to our alarm because the never called. Of course the one morning we need them to wake us up they didn't! Lol
But other than that this hotel is good for the great location your getting.

• Stayed March 2013
Houston
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is cute and in a great location. The staff was very friendly. The restaurant inside, Brian's 24, is sooo good. The elevators are a bit of a slow down. It's an old building and the nostalgia is great. The rooms are small. I stayed by myself but if my husband stayed it would have been cramped. Overall I enjoyed my stay and the location is great. I would stay here again. The fitness room is small with only two machines and no windows. Luckily there are other places around for working out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business