“Historic charm but not neccesarily comfort and convenience.”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #164 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Elkhart, Indiana
“Historic charm but not neccesarily comfort and convenience.”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm actually surprised at myself for not rating this one tick worse than I did, but overall it wasn't a terrible stay. I'll point out the good before the bad. Free hotel shuttle service is provided and their drivers are very cordial. My experience during my 4 day stay was that every member of the staff (including housekeeping) that I met, was very helpful and friendly. Lobby area, although not huge, was very inviting and gave me a good first impression. I arrived a bit early and the host offerred to store my bags until the room was ready. He said it would be about half an hour so I had a quick lunch next door and when I returned, it was indeed ready.Although this hotel is 100 years old (literally), the hallways and common areas have been updated and kept up very nicely. Rooms (at least mine) are very small but adequately furnished. There is a rooftop terrace that is quite relaxing to go and view the city while relaxing. The large flat screen TV worked well and channels were multiple. Now for the bad. As the hotel advertises, the elevators are original to the early 1900's and as such, are interestingly frustrating. To access, you have to manually open a door, slide the cage screen back and then read a book while it takes you on the slow extended ride to your floor. The beds in the rooms are "extremely" firm. If that is to your liking, you will sleep well. In my case however, my back was less than happy. If you value sleeping in remote solitude, please, please bring earplugs. I have stayed in places with paper thin walls before, but this puts them all to shame. I had the pleasure of being next to a couple that, I'm convinced, their only reason for being in that place in time was to copulate 24/7 while voicing their excitement not in a quiet manner. Needless to say, I had the honor of listening to this as if they were laying next to me. The shower stall (no bathtub) is adequate for someone of approximately 100 pounds or less. But at 6'2" and 300 pounds, it was an experience. Although it was only in the upper 60's while I was there, there were times I needed to turn on the window A/C unit to cool the room down a bit. It made funny noises and didn't appear to be putting out much cool air, so I turned it off and survived. The restaurant next door (Brian's 24, which I will review under a seperate listing) provides room service for the hotel. I utilized room service once during my stay and found the order taker very friendly and the speed of delivery better than average. As my opening statement said, I probably could have rated the place a little lower than I did, but surprisingly I had a decent stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors will save you from the extended travel times via the antiquated elevators. I w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pickyonejustme
victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review , yes we do have a great location, with a friendly accommodating staff , our restaurant is one of the most popular in the Gaslamp . All out beds a queen size Sealy posturepedic Setra Sleeper's . some rooms only have shower stalls ,some have jacuzzi tubs . The elevators (as may have been mentioned in one of two past reviews) are small and slow .
thank you for your support and we hope to see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you want a funky hotel, this is the place! Location is excellent. Noise level on the weekend can be bad as every drunk in town is in the gaslamp district, but I love this place. It reminds me of living in downtown SF. There is a bar/restaurant 24/7 with great history! Joan Crawford danced on the bar when it was in her house. The elevator is the original. I'm glad they kept it running.
This hotel won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I will always stay there when I'm in San Diego!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest ,
I couldn't have summed it up better myself. Thank's for your support.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I didn't have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised. There were 7 of us on a family holiday so had 2 suites with 2 bedrooms in each suite. The rooms weren't huge but they were nice and the kids liked the elevator. We all enjoyed the view from the roof and the location is excellent with good restaurants and the shopping mall in walking distance. My only complaint was that I forgot my jacket in the closet when we left and I wasn't able to have it returned after phoning twice. Overall decent hotel for the price.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest, We have your jacket . You booked two rooms via a third party agency so we don't have your telephone number ,we called that booking agency and they do not have your number either . Please call the hotel and ask for Dennis and we will gladly ship your jacket back to you . We did try to contact you via TripAdvisor message , but no luck . So give us a call and we will make it happen . Thanks for your support.