“Great Valule for Location”

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center
Ranked #158 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Orange
“Great Valule for Location”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Considering that we booked last minute, the deal we got was great. However the room was a bit small but for a quick getaway weekedn trip, hotel location is right in the heart of the Gaslamp District.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Michael E
victorleeSanDiego, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear guest,
Thanks for the kind words . Many of our rooms are about 25% smaller than a traditional hotel room size . We do have lots of large rooms that can be seen on our TripAdvisor hotel website link right here on TripAdvisor . Thanks again for you business. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2013

For this overnight trip I wanted standard amenities and airport shuttle at the lowest cost possible in the Gaslamp District. When I heard this hotel was historic, I thought I shouldn't look any further; but in the end I wasn't completely satisfied. Here's what I didn't like:

The airport shuttle doesn't automatically pick you up at the airport. I thought it would and waited for over 30 minutes at the shuttle area at the airport until we finally decided to just take a taxi. When I arrived at the hotel, a sign indicated that you had to sign up in advance for the airport shuttle. I had no problems the following day, but I certainly would have appreciated knowing about this ahead of time so I could have made other plans.

At a certain moment, I went to the front desk and waited for 15 minutes for someone to help me. Whoever was on staff was on the phone in the office next door all that time. I waited for a bit, trying to be understanding, but when I saw they still weren't coming out, I called out just to make sure they were aware someone was outside, and all I got was a shout saying to wait while they were on the phone. I waited some more until they hung up. It was no big deal, although I was in a little bit of a hurry; but what bugs me is that I would have preferred to see a head pop through the door, excuse itself, and have at least asked what I needed and then determine whether I could wait or not. Aside from that, though, all the staff was super nice, professional and accommodating.

The room was very clean and nice and simple, but it felt cluttered. Perhaps a different arrangement of the furniture would have made a difference. My biggest problem was walking into the room with lots of bags and not quickly finding a place to drop my stuff. I was bothered by the desk having so much coffee and tea bags, etc. than it could fit on it. There was a closet, but I never got to use it.

Finally, the antique elevators were difficult to get used to. They were small and couldn't fit all my bags. That's why I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with a lot of bags, even if just overnight. No one taught you how they worked, nor were there explanatory signs on the doors, so that we missed a couple of stops while we got the hang of it. Eventually we just started using the stairs.

What I liked most about this hotel, though, was its restaurant! The place is beautiful and the food is fantastic. They have a big menu, with many comfort foods, and gigantic portions

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

victorleeSanDiego, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear guest,
Yes to be picked up AT the airport you have to call us and tell us you are there and then we come get you. Shuttle trips BACK to the airport are on scheduled departure time and you sing up so we can make sure we don't end up with a crowd larger than the van can accommodate. If that happened we would schedule a second quicker van run (it's only 3 miles to the airport) . Glad you liked our restaurant Brian's 24 ,it's one of the most popular downtown. The elevators have been mentioned in several earlier posts .
Thank you for your business and your support.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We enjoyed our entire stay of 5 nights only to receive a bill for parking when we were informed by the hotel staff 3 times that parking was "free". Had we known we were being hit with $20.00 per day for valet parking plus our tips each time we retrieved our car, we would have parked on the street ourselves. To make matters worst, the Assistant Mgr. had a salty attitude once we addressed this issue. We have notified the Ramada Worldwide Headquarters to file a formal complaint. We left San Diego with a somewhat bad taste after checking out of this hotel. We would encourage visitors to clarify the parking issue prior to check-in. The only other problem we encountered was a clogged sink one morning that was backed up. The hotel is in a great location but we do not think we will return to this hotel when we return to San Diego next year.

Room Tip: We requested a room with a view rather than a brick wall to stare at....