“Best Greek food in San Diego!”
Review of Taverna Blu

Taverna Blu
Ranked #1,170 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Best Greek food in San Diego!”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

What a find! Lovely indoor or outdoor dining, great food and wine selections and wonderful service! Don't miss it!

San Diego
“Great Food, atmosphere, and service”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Relatively new, I've eaten here several times for lunch and it has been consistently fresh, and delicious. Service is attentive without hovering. It's busy at lunch, but you can linger, no one makes you feel like you are holding the table. The small plates, and open face pita are great, and don't forget to order some Feta fries; they are addictive.

Indianapolis
“Not your typical greek, unfortunately”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We went with my cousin and aunt who are in the area. I love Greek food and was looking forward to this. That may have been part of the problem. I'm not sure what this was but it was more greek-ish than greek. I had the gyros and kabobs. I am used to gyros as a pita stuffed with meat. The meat was here but no pita. It was just slices of dried out beef. The sauce was a bland concoction in a plastic cup. The kabobs were more meat popsicles. I am used to beef chunks on a skewer. These were a bite size piece of meat at the end of a stick. The veggies were overdone and bland. The fries were good but not an identifiable greek dish. My wife had the vegetarian plate. The roasted potatoes were good, they were seasoned just right. The falafel was so hard as the be almost inedible. The grape leaves were bland and very chewy and tough. The spanakopita (sic) was the real disapointment. I have had this as a philo popover and as a rustic dish as a sort of quiche but this was neither. It was sort of a spinich stuffed egg roll. It didn't work. My aunt had the small plate greek tacos. This was indeed a small plate, three 3" tortillas with about a table spoon of stuffing each. The restaurant was crowed and the servers over worked. The atmosphere was good, casual and welcoming. Not enough to overcome the flaws.

1 Thank TransplantedBuckeye
San Diego, California
“Great Food Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Friendly staff, and delicious greeek meal options. Will definately return.

San Diego, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointment”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I love greek food and was hoping that this would be my next favorite restaurant. Unfortunately, it's a no go...

We arrived about 6 pm, very hungry from our holiday shopping. The décor was nice and the wait staff was friendly. Seems like this could be a fun place at which to hang out…

We started with the saganaki (fried cheese). Yuk! It was under-cooked, luke warm and didn't have much of that great bite that I love about kefalotyri or kasseri cheese. Then the waitress came and asked us how we liked it. She said they had just switched from using motzerella cheese to this “new cheese” the night before we came… Really? Motzerella to prepare saganaki?

We ordered moussaka and a lamb shank. These were served with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables. The entire plates were RE-HEATS! Parts of the potatoes were actually cold! The moussaka was a flavorless mixed of grounds beef on a slice of eggplant with some cheese on top. There was no latyering and no pasta type noodle in the mix. And did I mention it was not very warm?

The lamb shank and the grilled veggies were the bright spots of the evening, but by then, it was pretty much over for us.

I don’t write reviews much. I write this with a purpose: Either this restaurant needs a quick and major makeover in the kitchen, or it needs to go out of business fast, so we can get another owner in soon.

Visited December 2011