“Great location; great staff”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed here 4 nights when we came for the Rock & Roll Marathon. All the staff were attentive, helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and large. We booked a Bay View room and it was a beautiful view.

Room Tip: Book a Bay View room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, convenient to everything. Parked the car in the valet and didn't need it again until we left. We walked to everything we needed to do, when we forgot to pack a few toiletries, CVS was located just a few steps away, just a really great local. The hotel itself is very nice. Typical Westin bed, very comfy, good internet and nice size rooms. Met some family for drinks downstairs, had great service and good selection. The only negative about this hotel is parking is pricey at $40.00 per night. No self parking available so your options are somewhat limited. I would recommend this hotel in spite of that fact. Good stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a remarkable stay at the Westin from beginning to end. My wife and I visited San Diego for a weekend getaway and we picked the perfect hotel. Great location, walking distance to all the bars and restaurants of the Gaslamp district and a short drive to the beach and Seaworld. What made our visit even more special was the staff. We were always welcomed by the guys out front whenever we returned. One of them them was also very knowledgable about the restaurants in the area and recommended a couple of really good local spots to try out. The front desk was also awesome. Very friendly and always smiling. When we left the hotel the valet driver loaded are cup holders with water for our drive home. What a nice touch. We needed those for our drive back to Vegas. When we go back to San Diego we will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake1025
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Jtaylor1025,

So nice to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. And I was particularly pleased to read about your interactions with the staff. I may be biased, but I believe we have some of the best associates around, and it sounds like you agree!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Be well,

Keri Robinson

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Westin Gaslamp over Memorial Day weekend having driven in with teenagers, dogs, the whole deal. By the end of the first day, staff members were were already calling our dogs by name and making recommendations for dog beaches and nearby restaurants. This is one of those hotels that frankly need some work in the way of updating, but where the quality of the staff and training level more than make up for it. We would definitely go back and highly recommend.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Westin Gaslamp is in a great spot. There is easy access to everything, but it is just far enough off the beaten path that the nightlife of the Gaslamp District doesn't interfere. The bar area is a bit small, but the service, drinks, and food were great. The breakfast was also very good (although there are so many great eateries around the area that it is almost a shame to stay and eat in the hotel!). The rooms and amenities were all fantastic. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Westin Hotel is beautiful! I love the comfy beds, and the great location. The service at the Westin, not so much.

We had a toilet issue as soon as we checked in, which was Friday May 23rd. I informed the bellman right away when we arrived at our door with our bags. Also, the robe in our room was very dirty, and the hotel room smelt very musty, as if the carpet had been wet.
The next morning I called down to the front desk informing them of the room issues we were having, they had a new robe delivered to our room, and someone from engineering come look at our toilet.
The Gentlemen front engineering stated he had to go to the room below us and check out the toilet and try to fix it that way, he was going to call us and let us know the status.
We never received a call or message with an update on the toilet issue. I called as soon as we got back in the room from our beach day, they had another gentlemen come look at the toilet. He stated the toilet should be fixed. Within minutes after engineering leaving the room the toilet acted up again.
I called the front desk again; the lady stated she would give me a call once they have a room ready to move us. That night, which was our last night there we received a message on our phone asking if we would like to switch rooms, there was a room available. At this point we had already dealt with the toilet issue our whole stay, it was pointless to move rooms knowing we will be checking out early the next morning.
I was very disappointed in how they handled the situation, upon check out, we even informed the manager Matthew, and he had nothing to say about it.
My next trip to downtown San Diego, which will be next weekend I will be staying at another hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have toilet issues
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Crystal C
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Crystal C,
Thank you for acknowledging our Comfortable beds and location. However, I am really disappointed to hear about your service defect. I know we have the best service staff in San Diego and if you give us a chance, I would like to prove it for you. Sincere, authentic service is our trade mark characters and I am sure we can create a memorable experience for you. We will make it up and more.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel is located on a quiet street and is conveniently located near public transportation, was easy to get around with out a car. The room was more spacious than I was expecting. Loved the bathroom, had a rainfall shower! Staff were friendly and helpful on where to go and what to see in San Diego. Another plus is there are two grocery stores within walking distance if wanted to pick up something for a picnic.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family