“Good Food , Better Service”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #40 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Good Food , Better Service”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

What a time we had at Pinzimini right in the Westin. Took the lady and another couple out for what we thought would be a quick drink, and ended up staying for small bites and a few rounds. The bar is appealing, quite different in shape, color, and arrangement; quite inviting. Because we had a party of 4 we choose to sit in the casual couches. Grabbed a couple Moscow Mules (great) and some Bellinis for the ladies. Marissa had the drinks there in a snap, had a smile, and made some excellent recommendations for small bites. We had some Calamari and a few flatbreads. Not only was it good food, but the service was above par. We were able to tune in the big-screen and enjoy small talk over drinks. We ended up ordering a few more rounds and this ended up being our ultimate destination for the night. We will be coming back soon as we are residents of the downtown/gaslamp area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear writemoment,

Wow! Reading your review, it certainly sounds like you had a great time in Pinzimini - so much so that you ended up spending the entire evening with us! What terrific praise and you definitely made my day.

We look forward to welcoming you back neighbor!

Best,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here in March and it was centrally located and had all the amenities that could be desired. The kids loved the pool/hot tub and the staff greeted them with color books on check-in.

The gym was well equipped and we never had any problems getting in time on any of the equipment.

The rooms themselves had a nice amount of space for our family of 4. I especially enjoyed the soundproofing and quietness of the rooms. Several rooms on our floor had guest who had babies. When we were in our rooms you couldn't even hear the slightest of the noise of any cries. The only way I knew there were infants, was when we ran into the parents in the hallways with the crying children.

My wife was able to walk to her conference at the San Diego conference center and there is a convenient full scale grocery store about a block away.

Everyone their was very friendly and courteous to both the adults AND my kids which goes a long way in my book. I think you can learn a lot from the way an adult treats a child.

Kudos to Paul to the main lobby! He was both helpful with directions and information as well as being a genuinely happy and inspired person. We will certainly look for him when we return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RightCoasterTraveler
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear RightCoasterTrav,

I really enjoyed reading about your experience during your recent stay with us and I will certainly pass along your kudos to Paul. He is one of our many superstar associates and I’m glad you enjoyed interacting with him.

It was also nice to know what a great time your children had! We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip. Until then...

Be well,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My stay at the Westin was good (as always), but the service was great. I forgot my phone charger and Steve (at the front desk) lent me his own overnight! My phone was charged and I got the emails I needed.
Thanks, Steve!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Susan F,

Yeah Steve! I am so happy he was able to help you keep on track. Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor and thank you for continuing to return to The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We traveled with two young girls. Hotel had perfect location to where we all wanted to go. We were able to walk to a lot of things. Hotel and rooms were very nice. Best part was our concierge Julliene. She was very helpful and friendly. Helped us with several things/outings. The girls loved seeing her each day. She would visit with the girls every time we saw her. This made them feel special. They were sad when we left because they were going to miss her. She is very knowledgable about the area and had great advice for things to do.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Brittney C,

Nothing could be better than knowing your girls so enjoyed seeing Julianne each day that they were going to miss her when you left. That certainly says a lot! I have to say though, I’m not surprised. Julianne is part of our terrific Concierge team and it is wonderful to know the memories she helped you make.

The next time you’re looking to escape a Minnesota winter, we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to sunny San Diego and The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter.

Be well,

Anaheim, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have stayed here twice. In August for our wedding anniversary and had such a positive experience that we decided to return for my birthday in March. It appears the hotel spares no expense in teaching their employees how to truly care for their guests. We were greeted both times by very helpful, welcoming and polite valets / bellhops / front desk staff. Danny was our bellhop last time and was very nice. He left such an impression that when we encountered him again this trip we immediately recognized him as the helpful guy from our last trip - the great guy who sent up strawberries and champagne for our 24th anniversary. This time he helped us to get the same room we had last time and gave us several yummy restaurant recommendations. The location, on top of the service and accommodations, makes this hotel pretty near perfect - love being able to walk to everything. Steven (at the front desk) was great in getting our room ready asap and helping with a few other items.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great hotel in Gaslamp with easy access to Horton Plaza. Rooms are not huge, but arranged well with plenty of seating if you have a few people over. Their signature heavenly bed is a definite plus and made for a great night's sleep. There's a bar and restaurant onsite as well as many nearby options. Taxis are also readily available when exiting the hotel. Cost to airport was $15 (before tip and no traffic). Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank petfriendlytravels
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I spent three nights at the Westin in January. I was there with a small group of 15 for a multi-day meeting. I had the least expensive room and it was more than adequate. The bed was comfortable (if slightly firm) and the room was spotlessly clean and came equipped with a coffee maker and a fridge. I do think the rooms are a little sparse and a comfortable chair or love seat would have been a plus.

The staff was helpful and pleasant. Internet worked well. I asked about a view and they found me a room with a peek-a-boo harbor view without charging me for an upgrade. The restaurant and bar were comfortable and the food was decent.

The real star of the hotel is the location. There are amazing bars and restaurants a block or two away, and I enjoyed strolling the neighborhood during the day and evenings.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business