“Caveat emptor - be prepared to pay to stay”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Caveat emptor - be prepared to pay to stay”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My recent stay at the San Diego Gaslamp property offered the look of obvious modern upscale design, and it was well worth the price, for the king bed room. What I found, which was lacking, was in the way that they do not provide the modern convenience of free wifi access throughout the property, which is something that is a no cost amenity at much lower end hospitality chains. It was very inconvenient to have to go down to the lobby area, where they do make free wifi available, on your wifi enabled devices. Another negative consideration was the fees you'll pay for valet parking, which charges by the day but does not pro rate the charges. You are paying for a full day, for staying one minute past the day(s) you pay for. Sorry, but I can only give them an overall rating of 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: The king bed room offered a very generous sized space. I also found that the personal touches offer...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
TRAEPHOTO, I am glad you enjoyed our new design. We have gone through a 25M renovation just last year and our upscale, modern design as you said is really being praised by our guests. We also have upgraded our in room internet bandwith to 100MB which other hotels do not offer as much. As you have noticed, we also offer free internet in our lobby area. Our various optional offerings are based on our guest feedback and I hope you understand it as well.
Thanks again for an opportunity to serve you and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Charles Cho
Hotyel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Spent this past weekend here for an anniversary. I made a last minute reservation and noted that it was our anniversary. Emilie, at the front desk, actually noted our occasion with a congrats and upgraded our room!!!! I didn't even have to ask... the room was awesome with a great view of the skating rink. If that was not already enough, when we came back after doing some sight seeing around the area (first time to the Gaslamp District), we came back to a nice note and chilled champagne---wow..... talk about going above and beyond! We walked around the entire area, from Seaport Village to Little Italy to up and down 4th/5th & 6th street.... Westin is, by far, the BEST located hotel in the area. We were able to walk to all the above mentioned places. Panera is a hop and skip across for a quick breakfast and Starbucks/Jamba Juice right next to the hotel. Horton Plaza is also attached to the hotel or next to it... I didn't go there, but could have very easily. Beyond the pampering by the hotel... the location and service were awesome..... highly recommended. We have already committed to come here every year for our anniversary!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear MarriedIrish,

Wow! It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time and made some great memories. I was so pleased to know that Emelie helped make your experience one of surprise and delight. And needless to say, I am very happy to know you plan on returning every year as you celebrate another anniversary.

We’ll see you next year – if not sooner!

Be well,

Keri Robinson
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had a 3-day/3-night conference here. The rooms are very comfortable and quiet, the furnishings are fresh and attractive, and the fixtures work. The meeting room was comfortable, and the meals were excellent. The location is great: In what little free time there was, it was a 20-minute walk to the waterfront; the entertainment district is within a block.

Fresno, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The good - Paul was awesome - he was so friendly, helpful, and attentive. Just a very nice guy. Definitely made the trip better, and his help was much appreciated since we didn't get very much help from the rest of the hotel staff. Which leads me to.....

The bad - my luggage was lost at the airport, and the guy at the luggage counter said he would have it delivered once it arrived. We gave him the address to the hotel directly from my Hotwire itinerary, so it was definitely the Gaslamp location.

Wish we didn't have so many negatives, since we really were so pleased with Paul, but geesh....it was a mess....
We checked with the front desk various times throughout the day to see if it had been delivered, and we were told it had not. We even asked them to check the other location to see if it had been delivered there by mistake. The guy at the front desk said there would be a note in the computer if it had, checked the computer, and said there was nothing notated.

At 2:30 am, after having been in a dress and high heels since I arrived in San Diego (my clothes were in my missing bag), we again went downstairs to check with the front desk. This time, we asked the guy to call the other location to see if my bag was there. He said I would have to wait until 5:30 to go over there since that's when the room opened.

At 5:30, we walked over there, and there was my bag. It had been delivered at midnight the night before, to the other Westin, but no one bothered to look at the tag attached to the outside of the bag or call the cell number that was also on there. Soooo frustrating!

The other bad - upon check-in, we were offered the "Green Program," where we declined housekeeping in exchange for a $5 voucher for each day we were there. We agreed, but we weren't given the vouchers. Since we were distracted by my missing luggage, we didn't even ask. The second day we were there, we remembered the vouchers (probably because of the shortage of towels and full trash cans), so we asked at the front desk. We were told we should have asked for them upon check in, and we could only get 2 of them instead of the 4 we were supposed to get. In hindsight, it would have been much better to decline the vouchers to get housekeeping. Even the food plates that we put outside our door weren't picked up after 2 days.

The other other bad - when I made reservations for this trip, I originally requested the Westin San Diego, since that was where my conference was being held. There was no availability for Thursday night, so I waited a few weeks, checked again, and still no rooms. I called the 800 number and spoke to a representative who recommended the Gaslamp location, which was right down the street. I asked if the rate was the same, and she said it would be if I had military or AAA (I have both). Technically (I suppose), she was correct, but she really should have included the "fine print," which I had to find out about the hard way.

When we went to find the "free shuttle" from the airport to the hotel, we discovered there is no "free shuttle" from the airport to the Westin Gaslamp, unlike there was to the Westin San Diego. $20 later for a taxi ride, after check in, I tried getting on the internet in our room and found out that I had to pay for that, too, which is ALSO free at the Westin San Diego. Another $51.80 added to the expense. Add in the $20 taxi ride back to the airport upon check out, and we ended up paying an extra $91.80 in fees we were never told about. Misrepresentation if you ask me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Aimee3333, First of all, I do understand how frustrating it is when your luggage does not make it on time. I have experienced couple of times as well. While the airline and the delivery company made a mistake, I am glad you were able to get the luggage at the end. You should have received your luggage sooner and I apologize if we did not help to expedite that process for you. I also want to thank you for commenting on Paul's service. I really appreciate you recognizing one of our associate for a job well done. I feel we have the best service staff in San Diego and I hope you get to experience our other associates when your schedule includes San Diego again.

Hope to welcome you back!

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is awesome and Catherine Bouvier did a spectacular job as concierge in making our visit to San Diego the best it could be. What a great property and a great staff. Additionally, the room service and food was exceptional.

• Stayed November 2013
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I moved from the Westin San Diego where I attended a conference to the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. The service, particularly from the staff of the concierge desk, was so very much more professional, efficient and accurate than the first Westin that I was prompted to commend them in this review. The first Westin was undergoing renovations and I would have thought that its staff would have been more attentive, but that was not so.
I recommend this hotel to any traveller for its location, lovely rooms and for its attentive and helpful concierge staff. The City is so beautiful so it was wonderful to have good recommendations for dinner and other services.

Irvine, California
Reviewed November 26, 2013

A highly desirable location and professional staff highlight the Gaslamp Westin. Although I am not a huge fan of expensive, city-style valet, a well planned trip puts most of San Diego's highlights within walking distance. A spacious, clean room with a captivating view is exactly what we were looking for and more. If you are looking for breakfast, try Brian's 24 on 6th (about a 5 minute walk if you cut through Horton Plaza).

Room Tip: Use your SPG card when making your reservation.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple