“Westin never disappoints me”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sao Paulo, SP
“Westin never disappoints me”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Close to everything we wanted, especially the Gaslamp Quarter. This property offers exactly what you can expect from a Westin Hotel: everything is clean, rooms are big and modern, very attentive staff, fast vallet service. I just still can't understand why 4* hotels always wants extra money for average Internet connection.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Henrique S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

So happy this hotel has kept personal service in lieu of digital. The concierge was extremely helpful and made me feel nurtured, cared for and important.

Beautiful hotel, incredible service, so well laid out. Must stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tammy K
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I live in San Diego. We needed a place to stay while our house was tented for termite treatment. We have two large dogs. While many hotels allow small dogs, it is very difficult to find a hotel for large dogs. The Westin did not just allow my dogs, the dogs were welcomed. I am a Starwood Gold member and have stayed at a number of Westin hotels. On each occasion, the Westin has promoted their Westin Heavenly Beds. It was only on this visit that I became aware of the Westin Heavenly Dog Bed. When we arrived in our room it had already been prepared for the arrival of thee canine guests. Two Westin dog beds were on the ground. Food and water bowls, dog biscuits, poop pick up bags, and a map identifying nearby places for the dogs to go to the bathroom were laid out for our use. If you enjoy traveling with dogs, the Westin Gaslamp is a great place. Thanks Westin. Being out of the house for termite treatment is a real pain. The Westin made it a lot easier.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark F
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Last minute stop in San Diego and needed a hotel. The Westin Gaslamp offered me a 250 per night room for 130 dollars by combining my military discount with my SPG (starwood prefered guest membership). Thank you very much!
The room was modern and very up to date. I am going to guess that it was renovated very recently. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was top notch. The bathroom was super clean. I liked the ceramic bamboo tiles on back-splash very much(gotta copy that for my own place)! The shower was ultra modern with a rain-shower head and body spray.
The location was perfectly situated in the Gaslamp quarter. Restaurants abound and there is a very lively night life.
Con: they charge extra for in-room Wifi. I despise the treating of internet by hotels, restaurants, and coffee shops as a commodity. If you are a hotel manager and reading this - if you want my business then you must offer internet for free to your guests. It is one of my major deciding factors.

Room Tip: Views are limited due to the location of other large buildings (its in the downtown core).
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have been Starwood members for many years, and own two timeshares with Starwood. So, we have had the opportunity to stay at many Westin properties. This was our first time staying at this location. So here is our overview of this location....

Pros:
- location
- valet service
- front desk service
- bar service
- onsite restaurant
- offered a late check-out
- very nice staff throughout premises
- walk next door to shops, comedy club, & eateries

Cons:
- sheets feel rough not the usual quality we experience when staying at a Westin
- bathroom too small with awkward sliding door that do not close completely.
- sink & shower nozzles extremely hard to turn on & off
- thin walls!!! Could hear toilets flushing from other rooms, people talking, etc. all through the night.
- hotel common areas feel too crowded due to many events held at this location. (Conferences, receptions, etc.)
- Wifi fee
- our standing guest profile includes request for highest floor. When checking in we were offered the 23rd floor if we could wait a couple hours. It was already an hour past hotel check-in time. After our two hour drive we were too tired to wait, so we settled for an available room on the 9th floor with poor views.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Firestone, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is my favorite hotel to stay in SD. My husband and I were vacationing there and I loved the service and the convenience. It's so close to everything we wanted to do within walking distance. Staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs. Loved the white sheets and the private patio. The entire experience was exceptional. Planning to stay there again next year when we go back to visit SD.

Room Tip: Junior suites are exceptional on the 15th floor with private patio and a gorgeous sunrise view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Natty N.

Thank you for the great review! I love knowing that we are your favorite hotel in San Diego and that you plan on returning next year. I agree, our Junior suites are exceptional and it's especially nice when you can enjoy the beautiful San Diego skyline from your own private patio.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I recently spend 5 nights at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. I was San Diego primarily for business and my husband was there for pleasure. And a pleasure it was for both of us! Our room was wonderful and the staff superb. The hotel is located in one of the nicest parts of town, close to great restaurants and sightseeing opportunities. We made the mistake of having a rental car. Don’t bother. There is plenty to do within walking distance of the hotel and if you do want to wander further than you can walk, public transportation will get you wherever you want to go. We cannot say enough about the friendly, professional Westin staff and we are sending a special shout out to Paul in the lobby, who answered every question we had (and there were many); Susanne Warwick, the concierge who had wonderful suggestions for dining and sightseeing; and Albina Flores, who kept our room spotless during our stay. Thank you to everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tracey F,

Well it’s pretty hard to beat an A+ rating! Thank you! And thank you for specifically mentioning Susanne, Paul and Albina. I am glad to know they helped to make your time with us memorable and I will make sure they know how much you appreciated their efforts.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you out to the West Coast.

Be well,