“A+ for business and pleasure” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
“A+ for business and pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I recently spend 5 nights at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. I was San Diego primarily for business and my husband was there for pleasure. And a pleasure it was for both of us! Our room was wonderful and the staff superb. The hotel is located in one of the nicest parts of town, close to great restaurants and sightseeing opportunities. We made the mistake of having a rental car. Don’t bother. There is plenty to do within walking distance of the hotel and if you do want to wander further than you can walk, public transportation will get you wherever you want to go. We cannot say enough about the friendly, professional Westin staff and we are sending a special shout out to Paul in the lobby, who answered every question we had (and there were many); Susanne Warwick, the concierge who had wonderful suggestions for dining and sightseeing; and Albina Flores, who kept our room spotless during our stay. Thank you to everyone.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Tracey F,

Well it’s pretty hard to beat an A+ rating! Thank you! And thank you for specifically mentioning Susanne, Paul and Albina. I am glad to know they helped to make your time with us memorable and I will make sure they know how much you appreciated their efforts.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you out to the West Coast.

Be well,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Golden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Was in town for a conference and loved everything about this hotel and stay. The location is fabulous and the staff really went out of their way to make sure I had what I needed! I was especially impressed by the service in the lounge bar area and wanted to give a big shout out to Kimberly Springer for her great service with the best smile!! The bed and bedding was so comfy and loved the robes!!

Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a fine hotel, in a good location (near Starbucks, CVS, a mall with a movie theater, Gaslamp district, Convention Center). However, it suffers from a few issues. I enjoy the On Demand movies in most hotels, especially after a long day. This hotel got rid of this feature during a renovation last year. When I called to ask about it, they said they had replaced it with HD cable. While this technically might be true, only Showtime comes in HD, and there is no HBO. Many of the channels were analog. I wouldn't care if the wireless was fast enough for streaming/downloading, but it isn't.

The other main issue is sink water pressure. I haven't had this issue before in a major hotel chain. There was only a trickle of water with both faucets full on. Took forever to wash my face, clean my razor. They moved me to another room when I asked about it. Identical problem, so they are probably all this way.

Room service is fine, if you like Italian, because thats all they offer.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
wolfneuralnet, thank you for your 5 star rating on service, cleanliness and location. I Appreciate the "Fine Hotel" remark as well. This is what we are truly all about. Clean hotel at a great location with great service.
While I do not have on demand movie, next time, please ask one of our friendly associates and they will make magics for you. Give us a try again and let me know when you are comming. I will grant your wishes on movie in your guest room and better water pressure. We will make you feel better!

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wonderful San Diego Gaslamp District Hotel

Upscale Westin hotel located in the heart of San Diego’s Gaslamp District
Very close to the Westfield shopping mall.
10 minute walk from the Santa Fe train station and light rail trolley station.
20 minute walk to the sea coast which ends near the Maritime Museum

The lobby is large and the adjoining bar is comfortable. The bar top is thick glass and imptessive to see,
I ate at the restaurant on the lobby level for breakfast buffet and it was adequate.
The “business center” is several computers located in lobby area.
The sixth floor pool and jacuzzi are adequate
The workout room is sub-par. On a nice day there is no reason to be inside this windowless room, a brisk walk to the coast and beyond is a enjoyable walk/run.
The staff are friendly and welcoming.
Car parking is atrocious! It's either Valet or street parking (metered). My suggestion is once you arrive to San Diego take a cab to the hotel. The hotel is a short walk/cab ride from train station or a 15 minute cab ride from airport.

My room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate
Beds are comfortable. Large desk, coffee maker and large flat screen TV.
WiFi in the room with good speed., No wired Internet access.
The higher the floor the better the city view.

New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was traveling on business, so I booked a room here for 4 nights thinking that the Westin would be a great experience. When I first arrived, I was quite impressed with Maria who checked me in - truly no complaints there. The front desk staff was wonderful with the exception of failing to properly email me my receipt upon checkout and another incident which I describe below. I know others had this experience as well.
The main problem in this hotel is the rooms. Yes, they were recently redone, but it seems that they must only expect male travelers. There is no storage anywhere for clothes or makeup. The closet had 3 tiny drawers that didn't fit my clothes, and the hanging space was minimal. There is nowhere to put your makeup or apply it in the bathroom. The bathroom is big but the counterspace is so poorly designed, you can't really use it to even set your blowdryer down while drying your hair. In addition, the towelrack is nowhere near the shower so you have to run around the bathroom wet or throw the towel across the sink (defeating the purpose of having a dry towel). While mostly clean in the obvious places (the backup sink drain was covered in mold), it wasn't anything special. In addition, every morning as soon as someone above us showered, the entire wall would vibrate loudly to the point where we could not sleep. Also the AC had a very musty smell that required me to air out the room everyday while I was gone.
The creme de la creme though was the morning we left. I awoke to a noxious nauseating smell of sulfuric gas. It permeated the entire hallway and the room. The person staying with me and I had to cover our mouths as we walked to the elevator it was so strong. When we complained to the front desk, we were told it was no big deal and they had just cleaned out the grease trap. The desk attendant was not concerned that it was nauseating and giving people headaches, he said he would "spray some febreeze." This was also his reaction when another guest came to complain while we were there. There are many other hotels in the area, I would skip this one. The lobby is pretty, most of the front desk is good, but it just doesn't measure up on execution.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hb22784, Thanks for sharing your experience. Our Front Desk team is truly one of the best and I am glad you have experienced it while you were here. On the other hand, it is unfortunate to hear about the disappointment regarding our new design. We have completed our $25M renovation just last year and our guest feedbacks have been great. I understand it might not satisfy every single person, but I am glad to see that it has been a great experience for most of our guests.
I hope you give us another try. Our goal is to make sure everyone leaves the hotel feeling better then when they came in. I am confident that we can make this happen for you as well.

Looking forward to welcome you back again.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Everyone at this property provided amazing customer service and bent over backwards to create an unforgettable experience for me while I was in San Diego. It started when I registered at the front desk upon arrival and I was blessed by Emma. I not only received great service, but had a FUN time with the process, thanks to Emma. Everyone throughout my visit continued to treat me with respect and went out of their way to provide helpful information and answer questions. Special Kudos to Emma and all of your staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Toni S,

Awesome! It’s wonderful to hear how your stay started off terrific and remained that way throughout. I will be sure Emma sees your review and thank you for posting on Trip Advisor.

We’ll see you again next time!

Kind regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was at this Westin for a business conference and was blown away by the all-around service, professionalism and attention to detail throughout. Most of my experience with the staff involved my time in the lounge area next to the restaurant. My server (Kim) was absolutely fantastic! She was happy and energetic yet focused and attentive. She made me feel relaxed and at home right from the start. You can get a drink anywhere; great service is what sets a place apart. Kim provided that and more. Highly recommended to anyone in downtown SD. Thank you, Westin and Kim! I'll be back again!

Dear Bobby M,

Nothing could be more rewarding that to read how our staff, Kim in particular, made you feel “relaxed and at home right from the start”. In this business, that’s what it’s all about! I will ensure that Kim knows the impact she had on your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re down from Los Angeles.

Be well,